Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2005, 23:00   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Poor George

Alas, poor George, his own worst enemy. A lovely person to know, by all accounts. A prime example of human frailty too.

Good night, George.
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2005, 23:01   #17
Senior Member+

Re: Besty - R.I.P.

Neither do I, Rindy, he tried hard I reckon and I think it must have been so hard for him.

I feel so sad today, I've no access to news apart from the computer, but when I logged on this afternoon I was informed of his death.

Poor chap. I'm off to put flowers in the sea on his funeral day. Don't suppose they will reach Northern Ireland but I feel I should pay my respects.
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:07   #18
Give, give, give member

June that's a lovely thought. We threw my Dad's ashes to the wind into the sea off his boat, in the English Channel.

I hope the Gulf Stream carries them all the way from the Canaries to Northern Ireland for you.

Last edited by garinda; 25-11-2005 at 23:46.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:09   #19
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Alcoholism is a disease, and I don't think criticism should be levelled at him for wasting the help he was given in fighting it.

I hope he finds peace.
This is actually something I would agree with and support whole heartedly. It takes someone to have walk this very dark path or at least care for those that have to appreciate how difficult and devastating this illness can be, not least for the victims that survived a loved one and have to still endure the sigma propagated by the misinformed. Again I pray and hope that this man might now find peace and a dignity that had eluded him and his family over recent years. We should invest our time in celebrating what was an exceptional talent and honour his own wish to be remembered for those all to short years. God Bless.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:10   #20
Senior Member+

Rindy, that's such a lovely reply. I'm well choked. I'm buying some red and white roses for the lad and I will think of you too xxx
Old 25-11-2005, 23:20   #21
Senior Member+

Good lad Doug, I'm so glad someone can put it into words. I've had a funny sort of week, along with searching the net every day to see if our George was still with us, I've been reading Sheila Hancock's book about her husband, John Thaw.

He was also an alcoholic but managed to beat it, then he was unfortunate enough to be diagnosed with cancer of the throat. Such a nice reward!!

I had lots of bad reports about the book but must admit, I've found it interesting reading. Nothing worse than losing your man.

On that sad note, maybe it's time for me to go to bed!
Old 25-11-2005, 23:22   #22
white rabbits

what a waste,...he was so good looking and a fantastic footballer......R.I.P.

Last edited by Roy; 26-11-2005 at 11:59. Reason: banners in posts -tut tut
grannyclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:33   #23

George Best the greatest footballer ever.What a load of rubbish.He was a decent footballer.If you could put him at his best against a premiership team now he wouldnt be so great.Footballers are athletes these days and i'm damn sure half of those defences he tore apart were not super fit and probably not even sober half the time.Speaking of alcohol,being an alcoholic didn't stop Tony Adams from being an all time great and getting on with it.I'll just run off abroad and play against lesser teams to make me look better.A very good football player who has sadly died but I didn't see you all crying tears when Emlyn Hughes died just over a year ago of a brain tumour whereas Mr Best died of slow self inflicted suicide.
Old 25-11-2005, 23:35   #24
God Member

have some respect eh?

if George Best was playing today at his peak he would be almost untouchable - remember he was playing with extremly heavy equipment on mud baths most of the time compared to the carpet like pitches the tarts play on today.
he was simply, THE BEST.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:38   #25

The sad thing as that you really believe yourself.
Old 25-11-2005, 23:40   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
George Best the greatest footballer ever.What a load of rubbish.
You really are a prick sometimes!

R.I.P Georgie thoughts are with your family tonight
Old 25-11-2005, 23:43   #27
God Member

RIP, have a good 'en in the Red Lion in the sky!
legend
Old 25-11-2005, 23:43   #28
Senior Member+

Well said, I think that our George was the BEST, too. As you say........mardy sort of balls now and nice green pitches.........not that I think Becksie is a bad footballer but going back to the sixties..........umm.

I must post a pic of my car, here in Tenerife, with it's Accy Stanley poster on the back, lovely x
Old 25-11-2005, 23:45   #29

Quote:
You really are a prick sometimes!
Better than being one all the time.And how much of georges family dya know to have your thoughts with?Callum cuz you watch sad reality tv programmes.Grow up you silly thing.The guy drunk himself to death and your all upset like you knew him.Get a life.
Old 25-11-2005, 23:47   #30
God Member

Get a heart

you bitter twisted old cynical fool!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..