Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2005, 23:50   #31
God Member

Re: Besty - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
Better than being one all the time.And how much of georges family dya know to have your thoughts with?Callum cuz you watch sad reality tv programmes.Grow up you silly thing.The guy drunk himself to death and your all upset like you knew him.Get a life.
lol! I'm not biting unless you wanna take it private
Old 25-11-2005, 23:52   #32
Member.

There is little doubt in the minds of those who watched this man at work that he was supreme at his game. He was one of the first television football stars that we all wanted to emulate at some point. The measure of today’s players against those of yesteryear serves little and achieves nothing. There will always be those who didn’t like him as a man or his game and their opinion should be respected, but lets not rub this mans name in the mire, there’s been enough of that and for those of us who marvelled at his antics on the pitch for that short period of our young lives, little will offend us.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 23:54   #33
Give, give, give member

I met his Aunt many times when I was at Moor End Junior School. She was the warden at White Ash old folk's sheltered housing in Oswaldtwistle. She was a really nice person as well, even nicer when she got me his autograph when she saw him back in Belfast.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 01:27   #34
Senior Member+

Some contend that he deserves what he gets, a wife-beater and a p*ss-artist who wasted his talent.

Most of those people a) don't have an understanding of alcoholism and what it really is and b) never saw him play.

I did see him play, but now all those who didn't only have clips. I do know a little about football. I know that he and a few other men, and they were men, took a city devastated by the Munich Air Disaster out of the ashes and into euphoria. I know that he was the first 17 year old to be eaten alive by the media. That there was no protection for him, a boy, when he became George Best overnight. I know that without his tragic example, so many others would have gone the same way and no lessons would have been learnt. I also know that he scored a hat-trick against West ham after a 24 hour booze-up.

Nobody remembers these things when they rush to crucify a man who has already crucified himself a dozen times over.

Some people out there may not think football is such a great thing. I happen to believe it is. I genuinely believe it creates genius and unites people in a way that religion once did with one important difference: It is a language that any kid in any country in the world can speak.

And Besty put it to music. R.I.P

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 07:51   #35

Alcoholism is an illness. Even if you do not believe that. Yesterday was hardly the time to show your hatred. Pilkybusdriver and blackburn raver should be ashamed of themselves.

Not everyone will mourn his passing. those that do not should stay quiet and leave the rest of us to grieve.

George best. Remember the Football. RIP Fella
Old 26-11-2005, 07:52   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
He was an awful role model for young men who are going in to football now. He was a drunk and a womaniser, not a hero!
Somehow when Mr. Best went before his careers master at school I think he was more likely to have said, "I want to be a Footballer Sir", at no point if you were able to be a fly on the wall on that particular day would he have said, "I want to be a role model Sir"!
What about the bad role models for young women the bimbo's that took advantage of his fame wanting to be seen at the right places with him, if such woman didn't exist he wouldn't have much chance as a 'womaniser', the same women no doubt joined in with him and probably encouraged him to drink more, after all they where out to have a good time and ****** the consequences!

To his many fans he was a hero and quite rightly so, he was never meant to be a role model, we all make choices in this world some are good for us some are bad, because he was in public view he was shown warts and all.
Now that he has been relieved of his recent suffering let him rest in peace and try not to distort his memory by turning him into something he never was.

He was a man of his time, the way he played suited the circumstances and showed him to be the 'Best'.

If there is an after life perhaps he's there playing football and winning with a bottle in one hand and a woman in the other, good luck to him.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 07:59   #37
mez
God Member

as with all people who are thrown into the "limelight" shall we say, some can take the pressure some can't......he was a "jackthe lad"... he was a brilliant footballer..... he is not the only one to take the path he did ........but at the end of his life he is remembered for his genius on the football pitch....r.i.p.
Old 26-11-2005, 09:13   #38
Senior Member+

last friday manchester united lost the greatest player of this generation...
this friday manchester united and the world lost the greatest player of any generation...
Old 26-11-2005, 09:25   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Somehow when Mr. Best went before his careers master at school I think he was more likely to have said, "I want to be a Footballer Sir", at no point if you were able to be a fly on the wall on that particular day would he have said, "I want to be a role model Sir"!
What about the bad role models for young women the bimbo's that took advantage of his fame wanting to be seen at the right places with him, if such woman didn't exist he wouldn't have much chance as a 'womaniser', the same women no doubt joined in with him and probably encouraged him to drink more, after all they where out to have a good time and ****** the consequences!

To his many fans he was a hero and quite rightly so, he was never meant to be a role model, we all make choices in this world some are good for us some are bad, because he was in public view he was shown warts and all.
Now that he has been relieved of his recent suffering let him rest in peace and try not to distort his memory by turning him into something he never was.

He was a man of his time, the way he played suited the circumstances and showed him to be the 'Best'.

If there is an after life perhaps he's there playing football and winning with a bottle in one hand and a woman in the other, good luck to him.

Less, you've taken a quote out of context there. Go back and read it, my gripe was not with George Best's lifestyle but with the media that are trying to make him out to be some sort of hero. On the football pitch he was undoubtedly a brilliant player - I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that - but off the field he was not a role model and most definitely not a hero! I didn't say or think for one minute that George Best set himself up to be a role model or a hero, so I don't think the media should try to make him in to one now but that's precisely what they are appearing to do. The media is glamorising a lifestyle/illness that is not in the least glamourous and that ultimately led to his death.

I don't want to get into an argument on this subject because it is clearly very emotive for some people so please don't try to twist my words on this.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 26-11-2005 at 09:30.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 09:30   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone
Alcoholism is an illness. Even if you do not believe that. Yesterday was hardly the time to show your hatred. Pilkybusdriver and blackburn raver should be ashamed of themselves.

Not everyone will mourn his passing. those that do not should stay quiet and leave the rest of us to grieve.

George best. Remember the Football. RIP Fella

hatred ? ashamed of myself ? ...WHY ? ....for having an opinion that differs from yours? ....and i dont understand where the hatred thing comes from !!!!.......think you'd better learn to read my comments before stating your opinions of myself......i wasnt calling him as a footballer i was calling him for wasting a second chance of a decent and healthy life....he was a selfish drunk who took away a liver from another person who could have put it to some use and lived a long and healthy life ....

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 09:53   #41
Senior Member+

I so George play for Manchester United in the 60's, in my opinon he was the best footballer ever. It's a shame that the high life took hold of him and he did not have the willpower to overcome his addiction.
janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 09:53   #42
Give, give, give member

I don't want this to descend into a slanging match but obviously Raving can't get his head round the fact that alcoholism is a disease. Should we not treat smokers who get cancer, or drug addicts who fail to come off methadone after receiving treatment at a withdrawl clinic?

Everyone deserves a chance.

George Best took his and sadly failed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 09:57   #43
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Less, you've taken a quote out of context there. Go back and read it, my gripe was not with George Best's lifestyle but with the media that are trying to make him out to be some sort of hero. On the football pitch he was undoubtedly a brilliant player - I'm pretty sure I acknowledged that - but off the field he was not a role model and most definitely not a hero! I didn't say or think for one minute that George Best set himself up to be a role model or a hero, so I don't think the media should try to make him in to one now but that's precisely what they are appearing to do. The media is glamorising a lifestyle/illness that is not in the least glamourous and that ultimately led to his death.

I don't want to get into an argument on this subject because it is clearly very emotive for some people so please don't try to twist my words on this.
Quote:
I absolutely won't deny he was a brilliant player - I saw him play once when he was playing for Fulham at the end of his career, he played Rovers. Very mesmeric to watch him even at the latter stages of his career.

I'm a bit concerned about him being elevated to this near god like status that the media seems to be doing. He was an awful role model for young men who are going in to football now. He was a drunk and a womaniser, not a hero!

It's still very sad that he died at such a young age. Perhaps he has found peace now!
Above is the complete of what you posted:-

I didn't post that quote to argue, I posted it to point out that he didn't choose a career as a role model!
I agree that if he was to be used as a role model he is not a very good one.

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned about him being elevated to this near god like status that the media seems to be doing. He was an awful role model for young men who are going in to football now. He was a drunk and a womaniser, not a hero!

The first part of that paragraph does state your opinion of what the press may be trying to do, however the second part of that paragraph (which is the part I originally quoted), is obviously your opinion, not
the presses, I didn't use it out of context, I just quoted what I thought needed to be given a fair airing.

As I have already stated I didn't do it to be argumentative I did it because I thought it was an unfair statement about a guy that can no longer defend what he rightly or wrongly did.

I hope we can now remember what this Thread was started for, To honour the memory of a man that has recently died, a man that wasn't perfect but did bring a great deal more joy to the people that follow football than most people would be able to do in several life times.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2005, 09:58   #44

The day a man dies is not the day to slag him off.
Old 26-11-2005, 10:06   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I don't want this to descend into a slanging match but obviously Raving can't get his head round the fact that alcoholism is a disease. Should we not treat smokers who get cancer, or drug addicts who fail to come off methadone after receiving treatment at a withdrawl clinic?

Everyone deserves a chance.

George Best took his and sadly failed.
if you hae a donor card would you want your organs to go to an alcoholic or a person who would treat it as a second chance and use it well ??

i have no sympathy for any of them, users and abusers , im no angel ive done thigs in the past im not proud of but i knew when too draw the line,_________________________________ its not a disease its a lack of willpower.....anyway as you said i dont want a slanging match either so this is my last post on the subject

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..