Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2005, 12:42   #1
God Member

Besty - R.I.P.

Expert medical opinion was saying he would be dead last night, but typically, he beat 'em and and went on to play some extra time. Finally, though he's off the pitch and away to the great pub in the sky.
But what a player he was! I suppose for most on here, you will only have seen his skills on grainy celluloid film; but there must be a few who were privilidged to see him live. I saw him a few times at Turf Moor in the late 60's and he was awsome. Today, the likes of Beckham & Rooney come nowhere near to matching his talents.
This is a sad day for footy.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2005, 12:46   #2
Senior Member+

George Best R.I.P

Its with great sadness,Ive just seen on sky news about the passing of the worlds greatest player of all time.Being the age I am I was fortunate enough to witness his later days of his career at Manchester United,even be it as a child.My thoughts go out to Callum his son & Dickie his father. Always remembered never forgotten.

Last edited by mthead; 25-11-2005 at 12:50.
mthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 12:47   #3
God Member

Best has left the building

RIP,

he may not have been a model citizen but he was a good footballer
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 13:04   #4
Member.

Re: Besty - R.I.P.

This is not a good day…..I wish his family well and trust at least that the pain of worry for him as now past. This was an exceptional man I can only hope that has a nation we give this man a send off that gives honour to his talent on the pitch and leaves him the dignity of not having his name drag down by the media. God rest in peace George Best.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 13:23   #5
God Member

Another of the greats gone to the celestial footy pitch. I never had the pleasure as some members have of watching him. Very few players could match him on a pitch a genius is an understatement. Lets remember him for what he did on a pitch and not what he did off it. His suffering has ended and has been reported he was feeling no pain. My heart goes out to his family.

Besty show them how the beautiful game is played up there.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 14:29   #6
Senior Member+

good footballer or not ...i have no sympathy for him (his familly yes).....he was given a second chance ( new liver ) at life and pi$$ed it up against a wall he didnt care about himself so why should i care about if he lives or dies somebody could have been given that liver who actually needed it not some washed up alcy...my HONEST opinion and sorry if it offends some ....(waits for the karma steamroller )

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 15:37   #7
Resident Waffler

I used to have a pin up of him inside my desk at school. He was a brilliant footballer.

Yes he was an alcoholic and I won't enter into a discussion as to whether or not it was right to have a liver transplant. I have no idea how much of a struggle it is for an alcoholic to give up drinking but I've seen smokers try and fail to give up smoking and know that isn't easy. It's easy enough to criticise when you don't have the problem yourself but I do have problems of my own and therefore would never put down someone whose challenges are different to mine.

May he rest in peace and may his family be comforted.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 15:50   #8
God Member

RIP Georgie - the best player to ever grace British football by far.

Legend
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 16:11   #9
Senior Member+

Absolute Legend!

R.I.P Georgie Best
Old 25-11-2005, 17:21   #10
God Member

I absolutely won't deny he was a brilliant player - I saw him play once when he was playing for Fulham at the end of his career, he played Rovers. Very mesmeric to watch him even at the latter stages of his career.

I'm a bit concerned about him being elevated to this near god like status that the media seems to be doing. He was an awful role model for young men who are going in to football now. He was a drunk and a womaniser, not a hero!

It's still very sad that he died at such a young age. Perhaps he has found peace now!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 17:59   #11
God Member

RIP George. Without doubt the most gifted player I've ever watched. Who's this Beckham they're always on about?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 18:07   #12
God Member

RIP George Best a legend in football.
Like willow I will make no comment on his problems as no-one should speak ill of the dead. Lets just remember him for the magnificant player he was and my thoughts are with his family and close friends

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 22:21   #13
Senior Member+

Thanks for moving me in the right direction mate x and I apologise for ending up on the wrong board.

As a teenager in the sixties, George was a hero in my eyes and still is. He was adored by millions of people, his football was to be seen to be believed. I worshipped the Beatles...Sonny and Cher....The Monkees ......Herman....and George!! Posters on the bedroom wall and all that!

I'm not apologising for him, he made his choice, but nothing will ever take it away from his enormous talent and the joy he brought for so many people. I give all my love to all his family and hope that they remember the good times as I do.

Night George xxx
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 22:55   #14
Give, give, give member

His talent on the world stage will never be forgotton.

Alcoholism is a disease, and I don't think criticism should be levelled at him for wasting the help he was given in fighting it.

I hope he finds peace.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2005, 22:56   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I'm a bit concerned about him being elevated to this near god like status that the media seems to be doing. He was an awful role model for young men who are going in to football now. He was a drunk and a womaniser, not a hero!
to any young lad/lass growing up who likes to knock a footy about- George Best is a hero, a god, a genius.
He was a genius at his craft and was a gentleman off the field until alcohol changed him.
He was a one-off, there will never be another George Best.

RIP George - youre a legend.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..