Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2010, 19:42   #1
Senior Member+

Brian Laws OBE

Out before easter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obe.jpg (82.2 KB, 5 views)

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2010, 11:27   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Brian Laws OBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER View Post
Out before easter
Don't actually think its Laws to blame Raver, Its Kilby and Flood, the statement Brian was always our first choice was a bit hollow to say the least. Laws was a free agent so no compensation to pay, but just having been sacked by Sheff Wed who were in the threat of relegation just what did they expect. I think the real reason why Coyle left for Bolton was that he knew there would be little or no chance of investment in the squad even if he managed to keep the Clarets up. I know the Rovers don't through money about anymore but we do try and bring in better quality players, for Burnley bringing in championship players who were not even first pick at their clubs speaks volumes for their ambitions
Old 14-03-2010, 11:59   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't actually think its Laws to blame Raver, Its Kilby and Flood, the statement Brian was always our first choice was a bit hollow to say the least. Laws was a free agent so no compensation to pay, but just having been sacked by Sheff Wed who were in the threat of relegation just what did they expect. I think the real reason why Coyle left for Bolton was that he knew there would be little or no chance of investment in the squad even if he managed to keep the Clarets up. I know the Rovers don't through money about anymore but we do try and bring in better quality players, for Burnley bringing in championship players who were not even first pick at their clubs speaks volumes for their ambitions
Quote:
Don't actually think its Laws to blame Raver, Its Kilby and Flood,
Think it's more Kilby than Flood. Flood would be a typical premier league chairman, throw money at it and hope for the best. Kilby is a lot more grounded.

Quote:
I think the real reason why Coyle left for Bolton was that he knew there would be little or no chance of investment in the squad even if he managed to keep the Clarets up.
You mean borrowed money, putting the club millions of pounds in debt.

We achieved the impossible dream on a minimum wage. We could have spent more this season, would it have guaranteed staying in the Premier League... don't think so. For a club like ours it will take several years of yo-yoing to become a stable premier league club, if ever. You lot have managed it because you were there at the start when the money started piling in. Even Reading with all their money and a good manager didn't manage to stay there too long.

I don't blame Laws, neither do I blame Kilby. When football goes tits up I know who I want as chairman of my football club
Old 14-03-2010, 12:19   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Think it's more Kilby than Flood. Flood would be a typical premier league chairman, throw money at it and hope for the best. Kilby is a lot more grounded.

You mean borrowed money, putting the club millions of pounds in debt.

We achieved the impossible dream on a minimum wage. We could have spent more this season, would it have guaranteed staying in the Premier League... don't think so. For a club like ours it will take several years of yo-yoing to become a stable premier league club, if ever. You lot have managed it because you were there at the start when the money started piling in. Even Reading with all their money and a good manager didn't manage to stay there too long.

I don't blame Laws, neither do I blame Kilby. When football goes tits up I know who I want as chairman of my football club
But is it fare on the fans Dave? for once I'm not really having a pop at Burnley. All fans want their club to play well and its very depressing when they fail miserably, there is a difference between financial caution and selling yourself short, Rovers have (since the Walker days) brought in older players like Tugay, now Salgado and Basturk who although are past there better days can still hack it, but we did pay £6 million for one for the future. The likes of Mears and Bikey (or whatever he's called) aren't the answer in the Prem, Mears couldn't get in the Derby side in the Championship last term so he was hardly going to be a hit was he, and Bikey was at Reading who were very poor last term, I actually feel sorry for true fans like yourself, who I think have been sold sort big time
Old 14-03-2010, 14:26   #5
God Member

Quote:
But is it fare on the fans Dave? for once I'm not really having a pop at Burnley. All fans want their club to play well and its very depressing when they fail miserably, there is a difference between financial caution and selling yourself short,

I don't know, is it fair to balance the purse strings above ambition ? How about we ask the Portsmouth fans, or even worse the Chester fans, and don't forget to ask the fans of another local club round here, which did they prefer last November, survival or bust ?
Old 14-03-2010, 14:53   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I don't know, is it fair to balance the purse strings above ambition ? How about we ask the Portsmouth fans, or even worse the Chester fans, and don't forget to ask the fans of another local club round here, which did they prefer last November, survival or bust ?
There's a difference between the sublime and the ridiculous Dave, clubs such as Portsmouth, Leeds, Newcastle were guilt of chasing shadows, by people who didn't give to hoots for the club like Story and Ridsdale, Stanley was different, it was somewhat mismanagement in their case. But if Burnley had balanced the purse strings a little higher without going OTT they could well have survived, football for clubs such as Burnley Rovers Bolton Wigan in the top flight is somewhat of a gamble, but without some element of a gamble the premier is going to be a short stay place
Old 14-03-2010, 17:52   #7

Quote:
There's a difference between the sublime and the ridiculous Dave, clubs such as Portsmouth, Leeds, Newcastle were guilt of chasing shadows, by people who didn't give to hoots for the club like Story and Ridsdale, Stanley was different, it was somewhat mismanagement in their case. But if Burnley had balanced the purse strings a little higher without going OTT they could well have survived, football for clubs such as Burnley Rovers Bolton Wigan in the top flight is somewhat of a gamble, but without some element of a gamble the premier is going to be a short stay place
I honestly dont think the burnley board even considered gambling with the money they got, to stay up. They would of expected coyle to stay a full term and try and keep them up maybe with the addition of a few players in the window. The money that burnley have gained was imo earmarked for re-development and re-introduction of a reserve team and a youth development centre
brfc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 17:57   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc1974 View Post
I honestly dont think the burnley board even considered gambling with the money they got, to stay up. They would of expected coyle to stay a full term and try and keep them up maybe with the addition of a few players in the window. The money that burnley have gained was imo earmarked for re-development and re-introduction of a reserve team and a youth development centre
Is there any point having a reserve team these days ? We do have a good youth set up, but you're part right in that some of the money is earmarked to develop better facilities, not just at the ground but at Gawthorpe. This will in turn attract better players at all levels. I beleive we are now set up for the next 10 years as long as we don't spend silly trying to compete with the big guns. This season has been a bonus and nobody can take away that day at Wembley in May.

I was at the Turf the day we played Orient. Beleive me any league position higher than that is gratefully received
Old 14-03-2010, 18:08   #9

Im sure if someone said 1 year ago today you will have a fantastic day at wembley go up to the premier league and BEAT man u at home but go down without squandering any money every right minded burnley fan would of took that
Old 14-03-2010, 18:10   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfc1974 View Post
Im sure if someone said 1 year ago today you will have a fantastic day at wembley go up to the premier league and BEAT man u at home but go down without squandering any money every right minded burnley fan would of took that

It would also be nice to have another bonus in 2 weeks time, but you're right so far
Old 14-03-2010, 18:13   #11

Smile Re: Brian Laws OBE

lol now lets not get carried away
Old 15-03-2010, 09:55   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It would also be nice to have another bonus in 2 weeks time, but you're right so far
To be honest Dave I think it will be a draw, by the way who do Burnley still have to play besides Home) Rovers, Man City, Liverpool. away) Wigan, Birmingham, Everton?
Old 15-03-2010, 12:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
To be honest Dave I think it will be a draw, by the way who do Burnley still have to play besides Home) Rovers, Man City, Liverpool. away) Wigan, Birmingham, Everton?

Spurs at home last match, Hull & Sunderland away. Played Everton twice.

Intersting to see Hull have sacked Tango Man today, brave or stupid ??
Old 15-03-2010, 15:11   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Spurs at home last match, Hull & Sunderland away. Played Everton twice.

Intersting to see Hull have sacked Tango Man today, brave or stupid ??
Stupid in my mind, if they were going to sack him it should have been done to allow the new man a chance to make a difference, like in the case of Brian Laws As for the remaining fixtures Rovers City Pool and Spurs at home Sunderland Hull Birmingham and Wigan away is a bit of a tall order Dave, can't see enough to get you out of trouble
Old 15-03-2010, 16:49   #15
God Member

Quote:
As for the remaining fixtures Rovers City Pool and Spurs at home Sunderland Hull Birmingham and Wigan away is a bit of a tall order Dave, can't see enough to get you out of trouble
It would take an extreme optimist to think otherwise

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..