Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2006, 19:10   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Chat/discussion/?? about English Football!

Wow, just got to see a live (I think) match between Chelsea vs. Wigan. I'm hoping this network will be showing more of the premiership games.

I have a question. Please don't take offense cause I'm still trying to understand okay? Do most folks in England have a Premier league team they like (as I favor Man. U.) as well as the other league teams? Meaning can/does a Stanley fan cheer for one of the "bigger" teams? Is that even an approriate terminology?

Okay, over here we have Major League Baseball. Then we have the AAA, AA, and single A teams. These guys are all considered professional baseball players but the "quality" of the player and payment they receive is commensurate with the level of play.

These others teams are greatly enjoyed by the locality they're in but not usually followed by anyone outside that locality. The closest team we have is a AAA ~40 miles away.

Is this kinda how English Football is set up? I woulda put this in the Football Forum but feared some negative Karma for my ignorance from the diehards!

Be Kind!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-12-2006, 19:18   #2
God Member

Re: Chat/discussion/?? about English Football!

Could be wrong but I dont think Chelsea have played Wigan yet at home, you sure it wasn't Reading? they played them today

Edit - just checked, they haven't they play them at Chelsae on the 13th of Jan, but they did play them at Wigan last week (Saturday) Wigan lost 3-2
Chelsea made a draw today 2 apeice

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by K.S.H; 26-12-2006 at 19:27.
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 19:26   #3
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Could be wrong but I dont think Chelsea have played Wigan yet at home, you sure it wasn't Reading? they played them today

Edit - just checked, they haven't but they did play them at Wigan last week (Saturday) Wigan lost 3-2
Chelsea made a draw today 2 apeice
Thanks for the reply K.S.H. Yes it was the 3 - 2 game. So . . . not quite sure if watching week old games will be as enjoyable. Heck, it'll still make me warm and fuzzy knowing it's real football being played in England. S, what are the chances of Stanley being on the tele over here? Seriously, ya think a championship game would be shown?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 19:30   #4
God Member

Not much chance at the min but when we pick up we'll let you know when their on

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2006, 19:56   #5
God Member

probably best place to see English premier league football on US television is on one of the Spanish language stations (univision, telemundo, ESPN spanish, etc.) usually one week later, not sure what stations you get on your cable system in Virginia, but here in the Bay Area on regular cable we have access to 7 spanish, 2 chinese (1 mandarin and 1 cantonese), 1 japanese, 1 hindi/farsi (weekends only) stations
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 00:54   #6
Resting in peace

I promised myself i'd never get involved with football threads again, whilst a greenhorn on accyweb I trod on the biggest pile of s**t ever seen, it cost me about 70 karma points. But human nature being what it is what the hell, to answer your question Brian, a football 'supporter' supports by paying to watch, a football fan is just that, they favour a team. In my younger days it was unthinkable to support/favour any team other than your local side, as most players came from the area, today we have a breed called 'success followers' as you said Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool etc, hope this sheds some light on your question, and does not play havoc with my karma . regards Ian.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 27-12-2006 at 00:57.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 08:15   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Wow, just got to see a live (I think) match between Chelsea vs. Wigan. I'm hoping this network will be showing more of the premiership games.

I have a question. Please don't take offense cause I'm still trying to understand okay? Do most folks in England have a Premier league team they like (as I favor Man. U.) as well as the other league teams? Meaning can/does a Stanley fan cheer for one of the "bigger" teams? Is that even an approriate terminology?

Okay, over here we have Major League Baseball. Then we have the AAA, AA, and single A teams. These guys are all considered professional baseball players but the "quality" of the player and payment they receive is commensurate with the level of play.

These others teams are greatly enjoyed by the locality they're in but not usually followed by anyone outside that locality. The closest team we have is a AAA ~40 miles away.

Is this kinda how English Football is set up? I woulda put this in the Football Forum but feared some negative Karma for my ignorance from the diehards!

Be Kind!

Brian

How good are you at walking on eggshells Brian ?

If your 'team' is not playing in the premier league then I think most people will have a view on who they prefer to see do well up there. I always want Everton to do well lol.

The football system in this country is a pyramid system where small town teams playing in front of 20 people every week could in theory work there way up through the system to the premier league, although in practice thats becoming more and more remote because of the greed in the game.

It used to be a working class game but has become more and more a game for the middle classes in terms of affordability. It will at some time implode on itself ( well at least thats the hope of many football fans).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..