Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2007, 17:47   #46
God Member

Re: Cup Replays Equal Fixture Pile-ups!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
An interesting development in the National debate on the “no replays in the FA Cup” issue.

Neil Babs of Enfield writes on BBC Ceefax Sports letters page 359 to suggest that if after 90 minutes the match is a draw then the lower-placed team goes through.

I assume he means by league positions.

Not the best idea that has come forward but at least the guy is trying to be positive. I wonder what reaction he would have got if he had posted his comments on this forum? I think that words like ‘stupid’, ‘silly’, ‘crackpot’ and the like would have prominence in the responses.

However a Chris Weston from London comes up with the suggestion that each pair of teams due to play an FA cup-tie decide between themselves if the match is to go to a replay or not.

This suggestion is again a positive contribution to the debate and does have some merit in my view. Although I can foresee problems if both teams cannot agree. I guess that they would to agree to disagree and replays would be played because that is the norm.
It's interesting to see that you only consider opinions of the teletext warriors to be positive when you agree with them.

Any suggestion of 'leave the FA Cup as it is' is deemed to be negative because you think it should be changed.

So much for debate !!!!
Old 21-02-2007, 17:48   #47
I am Banned

Theres no point furthering this discussion as everybody is wrong & jambutty is right !!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 20:15   #48
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Cup Replays Equal Fixture Pile-ups!

I have just re-read the whole thread and all there is, is opposition to the idea of one off cup-ties and opinions why it wouldn’t work. Not a single positive alternative to the proposal or any indication to how it might be able to work – all negative. That’s not debate. It’s opposition without an alternative proposal.

* - posts by lancsdave.
#2* – leave things alone.
#3 – talked about rival fans and how they can’t be kept apart.
#6 – wouldn’t work not enough grounds to go round.
#9* - reasons why it wouldn’t work.
#11 – more objections.
#12 – more objections
#14 – drifted off topic
#17 – pitch wear.
#18* - police involvement.
#20 – read it for yourself.
#22* - you asked a question
#24 – read that for yourself as well.
#26 – called silly.
#27 – seems to want to keep replays.
#28 – what if argument.
#33* - questioning my reasons.
#34 – nothing constructive.
#35 – another question.
#36* - making the point that the more replays the more money the FA makes.
#38 – more what if questions.
#39 – another question.
#41 – another question.
#44 - ??????

accymel is right – there is no point in continuing with this thread because all the contributors are of the opinion that one off cup-ties wouldn’t work so they are right any anyone else is wrong.
Old 21-02-2007, 20:26   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I have just re-read the whole thread and all there is, is opposition to the idea of one off cup-ties and opinions why it wouldn’t work. Not a single positive alternative to the proposal or any indication to how it might be able to work – all negative. That’s not debate. It’s opposition without an alternative proposal.
Leave it alone seems a positive enough response to me. I didn't realise that the thread was only posted to get a list of alternative ideas. Either way it's irrelevant because the FA have already said they won't change things. Perhaps they do need the money after all
Old 21-02-2007, 22:10   #50
God Member

Leave it alone is not negative..speaking for myself I think the proposals from jambutty (or the proposals jambutty gets from other sources) have been half baked ..I like replays.. I don't care if there is a fixture "pile up".. I like to watch teams under pressure...I am a luddite!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..