Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 14:02   #31
God Member

Re: Diving Divas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Not forgetting keeping an eye on ‘wasted’ time.

The fourth official is told by the referee how much time to add on.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:05   #32
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Diving Divas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
If you were to punish the cheats by way of video evidence after the match, you could do as follows:

1st offence - 1 game ban.
2nd offence - 2 game ban.
3rd offence - 4 match ban.
4th offence - 8 match ban.

etc etc.

Each offence doubles from the previous one. I think a lot of managers would soon get fed up with the so called star strikers, if they were continually diving, & therefore missing a large part of the season.
Another interesting suggestion but it doesn’t really address the team being sinned against.

For example a player dives in the box gets a penalty and a goal is scored and the team go on to win by that goal. So the diver gets banned for a while and that may affect a result against future teams that his team plays. In the meantime the team that had the ‘illegal’ goal scored against them gets no retribution at all. Not fair to them is it?
Old 11-02-2007, 14:07   #33
God Member

No Jambutty but it will be 'swings and roundabouts' plus if this sort of thing came in to force it would limit the number of divers long term until it wasn't so much an issue.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:07   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Another interesting suggestion but it doesn’t really address the team being sinned against.

For example a player dives in the box gets a penalty and a goal is scored and the team go on to win by that goal. So the diver gets banned for a while and that may affect a result against future teams that his team plays. In the meantime the team that had the ‘illegal’ goal scored against them gets no retribution at all. Not fair to them is it?
No, it's not fair to them. But maybe you're team could be playing against somebody whose main goal threat is banned for diving. Thus tipping the balance in your favour slightly.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:07   #35
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
How about a 5th official then? Or a video monitor observer?

Or perhaps 3 ex-referees?
Old 11-02-2007, 14:13   #36
God Member

Quote:
Or perhaps 3 ex-referees?

Where are all these ex-referees going to come from ? There is already one ex-referee at each game as an assessor.

In a few years time they will be lucky to have enough referees for all levels of senior football in this country.The number of games without referees at grass roots level is already over 20% every weekend now. The constant abuse they get and video scrutiny will only increase that percentage, eventually upper levels of the game will feel the knock on from this.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:16   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Where are all these ex-referees going to come from ? There is already one ex-referee at each game as an assessor.

In a few years time they will be lucky to have enough referees for all levels of senior football in this country.The number of games without referees at grass roots level is already over 20% every weekend now. The constant abuse they get and video scrutiny will only increase that percentage, eventually upper levels of the game will feel the knock on from this.
You should put yourself forward Dave Do you recon you could put up with it again?
Old 11-02-2007, 14:17   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
You should put yourself forward Dave Do you recon you could put up with it again?

I'm afraid the moderators clamp down on bad language has made sure that my answer to that is not printable
Old 11-02-2007, 14:19   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:

You say where will this money come from, but have we not just had an announcement from Sky that they are putting even more money into the game? Some of this money shoud therefore be given to the referees in their pay packet. In most other occupations, if you do a demanding job, you get a decent wage for it. This could act as an incentive to get more referees at the grass roots level.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 14:19   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'm afraid the moderators clamp down on bad language has made sure that my answer to that is not printable
It would make a change you getting a RED card for foul and abusive language than giving them out.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:25   #41
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Ok.

The proposed argument to bring in video replays would slow the game down too much (thus taking away a very large percentage of money being put into the game). Replays for diving, replays for offsides, replays for free-kicks, replays for penalties, replays for throw-ins, replays for corner kicks etc etc. Where does it stop?

Your suggestions are well thought out Jambutty, however involve a lot of erasing the past. It can not be judged by panel anywhere that had the 'illegal goal' not been given by the referee, then the rest of the game would've had the same result, just minus that goal. Thus making football a laughable spectacle full of panels and hearings arguing about the past.

Football's flaws make it the exciting, electric game that it is week in week out, attempting to eradicate them all would make the game dull and lifeless.
Most people will agree that there is too much cheating going on in the game today. I don’t mean just fouling a player but the underhand stuff like pulling a shirt, pushing a player out of the way rather than a fair shoulder charge, diving in the box as well as elsewhere and not forgetting the ubiquitous flailing arms when jumping to head a ball. What about holding out an arm to prevent an opponent from getting near the ball.

I accept that it is difficult not to raise both arms when jumping to head a ball, but watch a player doing so when not challenged by another. The arms don’t go up anywhere as near as much.

I see nothing exciting about my team losing to the only goal that has been gained by a player diving in the box. In fact all that does is create bad blood.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:28   #42
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
Like I said I was stating fact.Sky started the demise with giving more money to the rich clubs.Then came 'The Russian' at Chelski,then 'The Gnome'at Old Trafford and another 'Yank' at Anfield with Gillett.I feel slowly but surely our game is being slowly choked by foreign investment.
But that isn’t part of this topic. Although I agree with you in principle.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:30   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Most people will agree that there is too much cheating going on in the game today. I don’t mean just fouling a player but the underhand stuff like pulling a shirt, pushing a player out of the way rather than a fair shoulder charge, diving in the box as well as elsewhere and not forgetting the ubiquitous flailing arms when jumping to head a ball. What about holding out an arm to prevent an opponent from getting near the ball.

I accept that it is difficult not to raise both arms when jumping to head a ball, but watch a player doing so when not challenged by another. The arms don’t go up anywhere as near as much.

I see nothing exciting about my team losing to the only goal that has been gained by a player diving in the box. In fact all that does is create bad blood.
In some circumstances the arms go up naturally to protect ones self aswell.Wouldn't fancy challenging for a ball with Vidic,he doesnt use his arms just thunders in like a bull ready to gore the matador.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:31   #44
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
The fourth official is told by the referee how much time to add on.
Well there you are then. I always thought that it was the fourth official who determined how much time to add on after consulting with the referee.

We live and learn all the time.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:36   #45
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
No Jambutty but it will be 'swings and roundabouts'
“Swings and roundabouts” Gayle means there will be winners and losers. Would anyone like to be a loser if they were cheated into being a loser?
Quote:
plus if this sort of thing came in to force it would limit the number of divers long term until it wasn't so much an issue.
That’s the idea! Stop the divers whilst at the same time rewarding the team for being sinned against!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..