Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 14:40   #46
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Diving Divas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
No, it's not fair to them. But maybe you're team could be playing against somebody whose main goal threat is banned for diving. Thus tipping the balance in your favour slightly.
That’s almost advocating it all balances out in a season – but we know that it doesn’t.

The result of a match is the important bit and cheating should not be allowed to influence that result.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:43   #47
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Where are all these ex-referees going to come from ? There is already one ex-referee at each game as an assessor.

In a few years time they will be lucky to have enough referees for all levels of senior football in this country.The number of games without referees at grass roots level is already over 20% every weekend now. The constant abuse they get and video scrutiny will only increase that percentage, eventually upper levels of the game will feel the knock on from this.
That’s why I stated that it probably wouldn’t be practical to have a panel of ex-referees at each match but a central panel to view the evidence from all complaints after the games.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:45   #48
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
You say where will this money come from, but have we not just had an announcement from Sky that they are putting even more money into the game? Some of this money shoud therefore be given to the referees in their pay packet. In most other occupations, if you do a demanding job, you get a decent wage for it. This could act as an incentive to get more referees at the grass roots level.

Excellent suggestion.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:46   #49
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
You should put yourself forward Dave Do you recon you could put up with it again?
And here we have a perfect example of how a thread gets dragged off topic.
Old 11-02-2007, 14:50   #50
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead View Post
In some circumstances the arms go up naturally to protect ones self aswell.Wouldn't fancy challenging for a ball with Vidic,he doesnt use his arms just thunders in like a bull ready to gore the matador.
I couldn’t agree with you more, the arms do go up to protect yourself against the opponent’s arms going up. Two wrong don’t make it right though.
Old 12-02-2007, 00:11   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Diving Divas

the whole concept of "diving" could be eradicated over time by coming down hard on the manager/as well as the player. some high profile managers always(never see the incident) to me that encourages certain players to dive.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the whole concept of "diving" could be eradicated over time by coming down hard on the manager/as well as the player. some high profile managers always(never see the incident) to me that encourages certain players to dive.
Very true. I think that a directive needs to be put in place from FIFA.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:29   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Agreed cashman but you still have to establish who is diving and when before you can crack down on them. Until that happens managers will continue to hint to their players to take a pecuniary advantage whenever they can and players will do so anyway without encouragement from their manager.

The name of the game is to win a match and if a team can do so by bending the rules they will. Well most of them will.

A FIFA, EUFA or FA directive is only as good as the teeth behind it AccyJay but it is they who must set things in motion instead of just paying lip service to the problem.

Heavy club and individual fines and points deduction have been put forward as a means of punishing the cheats but first you have to prove the case.

I have outlined two ways of doing so and maybe there are other ways but no has come up with any so far.
Old 12-02-2007, 22:20   #54
God Member

I do not like the idea of videos/cameras deciding the result of a football match..jambutty I'll bet after you watched the busby babes in action the notion of having a stewards enquiry at half time or full time, and then another enquiry a few days later would have been blasphemy!.... why should we let telivision and technology change our game?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 23:22   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

nobody would be diving jambutty,if it was eradicated, prevention is better than cure. springs to my mind.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:20   #56
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I do not like the idea of videos/cameras deciding the result of a football match..jambutty I'll bet after you watched the busby babes in action the notion of having a stewards enquiry at half time or full time, and then another enquiry a few days later would have been blasphemy!.... why should we let telivision and technology change our game?
Blasphemy is reserved for religious issues. In spite of some people claiming otherwise, football never has been, nor is it now a religion. It’s a game that has got above itself and turned into big business.

If the Busby Babes lost a match due to the opposition diving in the penalty area and scoring from a penalty I would not be happy. I would be equally unhappy if the said Busby Babes won a match due to a dive in the penalty area – not that any of them would do that.

Diving to gain a pecuniary advantage is CHEATING – plain and simple.

Most people agree that diving is bringing the game into disrepute and debate and moan to each other about the unfairness. Some try to console themselves and even excuse diving by suggesting that the wrongs even themselves out over a season. But that is absolute nonsense.

If you don’t like the idea of using TV retrospectively then come up with an alternative to stop diving and other cheating ways.

It is time that every avenue is explored to get rid of the cheats and if that means use TV then so be it.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:22   #57
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
nobody would be diving jambutty,if it was eradicated, prevention is better than cure. springs to my mind.
It’s all too easy to glibly state, “Eradicate diving”.

My question is HOW?
Old 13-02-2007, 23:29   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
It’s all too easy to glibly state, “Eradicate diving”.

My question is HOW?
thought i answered that in post 51. thats my solution.
Old 14-02-2007, 11:10   #59
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Diving Divas

Quote:
How do you propose to come down hard on managers and players?

Threaten the wrong doers with fines, suspensions or points deductions?

Fine but how does the FA prove their allegation? It’s great if the ref or either of the assistants sees the incident, but what about all those incidents that go unseen by no one, except the manager of the wronged team and the team’s supporters?

It’s all very well introducing rules but they are waste of time if they are not enforced, rigorously. And right now too many divers get away with their cheating.
Old 15-02-2007, 09:07   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

It’s all very well introducing rules but they are waste of time if they are not enforced, rigorously. And right now too many divers get away with their cheating.--- that statement is beyond any doubt.but my suggestion of(come down hard) on managers and players, certainly would not mean fining them,of which fines mean nothing to these overpaid prima-donnas,as for exact form of punishment,i would prefer to let the authorities sort that one,though my favourite personally would be points-deduction.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..