Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2008, 22:00   #1
God Member

England ranked 14th by FIFA

Ranked under Turkey, Romania.. etc..
FIFA.com - The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking

That ranking makes it look like England would possibly only get to the quater finals in the World Cup.. I know rankings can be misleading but we are struggling badly..why? are we wrong in thinking we have some of the best players in the world?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2008, 22:42   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: England ranked 14th by FIFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Ranked under Turkey, Romania.. etc..
FIFA.com - The FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking

That ranking makes it look like England would possibly only get to the quater finals in the World Cup.. I know rankings can be misleading but we are struggling badly..why? are we wrong in thinking we have some of the best players in the world?
in a word YES.
Old 20-08-2008, 22:51   #3
God Member

I think it's time for us to realise we may watch the best players in the world regarding the prem.. but how many of our English players would really be picked in a world eleven? or as subs?
Old 20-08-2008, 22:53   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i thought that fer years mancie, most would have a job making the "Bench" of a world 11.
Old 21-08-2008, 06:53   #5
God Member

IMHO its about desire. They have it to play for their clubs as they get £DAFT to do it, there just doesn't seem the same desire when they run out for England.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 07:10   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
IMHO its about desire. They have it to play for their clubs as they get £DAFT to do it, there just doesn't seem the same desire when they run out for England.
I would have put that up as rubbish ..say 15yrs ago.. but I think it is correct.. the commitment, and if needs be aggression, shown by the English players for Man Utd,Chelsea..Liverpool etc is not shown in the Internationals.. at least not the friendly's.. or even in the big games time after time.
Old 21-08-2008, 07:33   #7
God Member

I agree about the desire, many players go down the rankings because once they have been paid 100,000 a week for a while, the money motivation is gone, what would motivate you to work if ya didnt need the money!
Old 21-08-2008, 10:37   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I agree about the desire, many players go down the rankings because once they have been paid 100,000 a week for a while, the money motivation is gone, what would motivate you to work if ya didnt need the money!
To be quite honest Derek money shouldn't really come into it when you represent your country, the thought of just putting on the shirt should be enough. I bet there are lots of people even on here that would give anything to pull the Three Lions on and run out at Wembley, and do it for nothing
Old 21-08-2008, 11:13   #9
God Member

I would of thought or least get the impression that playing for your country is a honour & something most players wish to strive for

Tho it is strange having great talent & leading in the ranks of european footy like the champions league, having an all english final u would think we'd do a lot better & cant be a confidence issue

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 14:35   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
yeh but why?, they get paid better fer Milan,Real Madrid, Barcelona,etc yet Italy n Spain aint done as bad.
Old 21-08-2008, 14:49   #11
Senior Member+

I think it may help the English players come through the ranks better if UEFA introduced the ruling back were each team was only allowed to field a certain number of foreign players in the team during Champions league matches,which was in place a few years ago.And then its up to the FA if they wanted to follow suit.Just an idea,what you think?
Old 21-08-2008, 15:12   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

probably a better idea would be to assasinate the F.A. n appoint someone with sense.
Old 21-08-2008, 16:21   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
probably a better idea would be to assasinate the F.A. n appoint someone with sense.
With their track record they'd miss
Old 21-08-2008, 16:59   #14

The problem with the England team is that there are too many flair players. Gerrard and Lampard are great in their club teams but just cannot play together as they want to roam the same area. Defenders, whilst solid for their clubs, don't know each others game well enough and usually end up going for the same attacker thus leaving holes. Rooney has not got any class imho. Beckham is way past it.
Capello needs to take stock and look at players instead of names.

On the subject of wanting to play for ones country - Joe Cole has played every one of his England appearances wearing his heart on his sleeve. The guy hasn't, imho, worked any less than 100% every time. If the other 10 in the team played like he does we'd walk the qualifiers and the World Cup. He should be Fabio's first name on the teamsheet.

Right, I've said me bit!

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 11:26   #15
Senior Member+

If it's the money thing that stops England's players performing at 100% as stated by some on here, why doesn't it affect other countries? Italian players are paid high wages, as are the majority of the Brazilian players (playing in Spain, Italy and England), so why don't they play with less determination for their countries?

The money argument doesn't work for me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..