Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2012, 21:42   #196
Full Member+

Re: Euro 2012

The two Ashleys taking penalties???????.........we'd have been better off with the two Ronnies !!!

At least it saves us from another humiliation by the Krauts!!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2012, 21:57   #197
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Forget the penalties, was only one side in it fer 105 mins, we had a 15 min spell in first half n that was it,after that was only one side gonna win the game, Was well deserved, n don't worry Dave, the wops will murder the krauts.
Old 25-06-2012, 02:14   #198
Senior Member+

Couldn't agree more Cashy, Hart, Johnson, Cole, Terry and Lescott played well, the rest were passengers. Not sure about your prediction on the semi though, I fancy Germany for a pint. Might be a couple of years before you get it though.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 06:22   #199
JFT96

England throughout the tourement were out classed.
Hart, worked his socks off as did Terry and Gerrard.
But overall it just was not good enough, as usual

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 08:10   #200
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
The two Ashleys taking penalties???????.........we'd have been better off with the two Ronnies !!!

At least it saves us from another humiliation by the Krauts!!!
Ya our dreams once again ends in ASHleys
Old 25-06-2012, 08:13   #201
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Couldn't agree more Cashy, Hart, Johnson, Cole, Terry and Lescott played well, the rest were passengers. Not sure about your prediction on the semi though, I fancy Germany for a pint. Might be a couple of years before you get it though.
Yer on mate, thats another easy pint. By the way if ive croaked in two years Paris will have it. pmsl.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:15   #202
Resting in Peace

Did Young actually put a foot right all night to me he should have been one taken off, but they were second best for most of the game so going out on pens wasn't quite as hard to take as usual, but the Eyeties hadn't read the script its usual 0-0 after extra time England go out to Germany on penalties
Old 25-06-2012, 08:17   #203
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Could not understand why Young remained on after 1 Hr when first subs were used, fer me hes been crap all tournament.
Old 25-06-2012, 08:22   #204
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Forget the penalties, was only one side in it fer 105 mins, we had a 15 min spell in first half n that was it,after that was only one side gonna win the game, Was well deserved, n don't worry Dave, the wops will murder the krauts.
You're right about the penalties. It would been embarrassing and an injustice had we won the penalty shootout.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 08:29   #205
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
You're right about the penalties. It would been embarrassing and an injustice had we won the penalty shootout.
Ya Bernard but I'd have taken it and been happily embarrassed
Old 25-06-2012, 10:55   #206
God Member

I dunno ... I've got a different take on the game ... maybe because they showed a different version of the game in the colonies; or maybe I've been watching too much hockey for 45 years England, considering the off field bs problems, and having a manager that not too many folks had any respect for, did a damn fine job. Significantly better than the Netherlands for example. That defence looked fantastic ... all they need to do now is develope a break away type of play ... you guys might know the players who could do this ... then England will be a team to be feared ... This type of football might not be pretty to watch, but it will win games.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 11:01   #207
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I dunno ... I've got a different take on the game ... maybe because they showed a different version of the game in the colonies; or maybe I've been watching too much hockey for 45 years England, considering the off field bs problems, and having a manager that not too many folks had any respect for, did a damn fine job. Significantly better than the Netherlands for example. That defence looked fantastic ... all they need to do now is develope a break away type of play ... you guys might know the players who could do this ... then England will be a team to be feared ... This type of football might not be pretty to watch, but it will win games.
Knickers Eric, All they need to do is "Learn how to Keep the ball" when in possesion, instead of giving it away, That shouldn't be too difficult? These players are reckoned to be International standard.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:13   #208
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Knickers Eric, All they need to do is "Learn how to Keep the ball" when in possesion, instead of giving it away, That shouldn't be too difficult? These players are reckoned to be International standard.
Maybe you're right ... I've got used to a different kind of game ... but, whatever, the tournament turned out not to be the disaster everyone was predicting. And I ain't taking my flag down anytime soon.
Old 25-06-2012, 11:58   #209
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Hodgson did very well in a short space of time IMHO, But to take us one step further, fer me he needs to learn em the basics of football, They aint on the same wavelength as the better sides, during his short spell at the helm, i have seen possibilities to do so, If not we will remain as also rans.
Old 25-06-2012, 13:22   #210
God Member

This is only my opinion mind, but I think a lot of the problem is that damned Premier League ... the owners take the short cut to making money by buying foreign talent and paying them the big bucks, rather than developing young English talent. You can't tell me that Italian kids, or German kids are "racially" more talented than English kids. Take a lesson from us dumb colonials. The Stanley Cup winning L.A. Kings had fifteen Canadians on their team. That's 'cause in Canada, youngsters start playing organized hockey before they are weaned. Boys and girls. There are more women in organized hockey in Canada than there are in the rest of the world put together! Look at Italy ... look at their major teams ... most of the players playing on them are Italian! Now take a look at the big "English" sides ... and go figure, eh.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..