Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2012, 14:43   #211
Senior Member+

Re: Euro 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hodgson did very well in a short space of time IMHO, But to take us one step further, fer me he needs to learn em the basics of football, They aint on the same wavelength as the better sides, during his short spell at the helm, i have seen possibilities to do so, If not we will remain as also rans.
Given the short time he has been in charge I think he did OK - but for one point. Most of the players play in teams that pass short and quick with the occasional long diagonal pass - why was Hart and some of the defence booting it long. Even if an England player got to it first there was no support for him.
There was a great need for a midfield architect - another Scholes or similar, Gerrard & Parker had to be too defensive to be able to control the game so for long periods we were without the ball.
Whatever happened to the ruling that there could only be so many foreign players in a team?
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2012, 17:27   #212
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Knickers Eric, All they need to do is "Learn how to Keep the ball" when in possesion, instead of giving it away, That shouldn't be too difficult? These players are reckoned to be International standard.
And lets not forget cashy they do get paid rather handsomely for their efforts
Old 25-06-2012, 17:35   #213
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Given the short time he has been in charge I think he did OK - but for one point. Most of the players play in teams that pass short and quick with the occasional long diagonal pass - why was Hart and some of the defence booting it long. Even if an England player got to it first there was no support for him.
There was a great need for a midfield architect - another Scholes or similar, Gerrard & Parker had to be too defensive to be able to control the game so for long periods we were without the ball.
Whatever happened to the ruling that there could only be so many foreign players in a team?
Think I can agree about the long ball Barrie, but if he was going to play that way he should have started with Carroll from the start, at least he can hold the ball up and we looked more dangerous when he came on, the things is we had no answer to Pirlo, we needed somebody snapping at his heels every time he got the ball not giving him a free roll to stroll though the middle of the park time after time
Old 26-06-2012, 18:05   #214
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You do realise just how much stick you're going to get now don't you Kes ? Just top it by saying you're Dad's French & bingo !

Speaking of which I do hear tell that the Spanish are attempting a new type of Paella tonight with the addition of diced Frog ....... Ole !
So you still got a grudge against the Germans Dave? What are you doing living there then?

No my dads a Lancs man - well I told you the Italians would go up a gear! A gear England obviously can't reach! I wonder why?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 18:07   #215
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think I can agree about the long ball Barrie, but if he was going to play that way he should have started with Carroll from the start, at least he can hold the ball up and we looked more dangerous when he came on, the things is we had no answer to Pirlo, we needed somebody snapping at his heels every time he got the ball not giving him a free roll to stroll though the middle of the park time after time
My sentiments exactly about Carroll - I wonder if Rooney is a jink?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 18:12   #216
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
My sentiments exactly about Carroll - I wonder if Rooney is a jink?
Na Carroll and Rooney in a 4-4-2 formation, would have worked for me, young Welbeck just couldn't hold the ball up, although he has some nice touches he looked a bit out of his depth on Sunday
Old 26-06-2012, 19:36   #217
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
So you still got a grudge against the Germans Dave? What are you doing living there then?
Nope, not at all fella I married one. And the reason I'm still over here along with plenty of other ex-servicemen is because I & they decided it was a better option than what was on offer at the time in UK, the way of life, job opportunities, travel.

I mean I can get in the car & drive to any of the following, Holland, Belgium, France (not that I'd want to mind) Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland or Denmark, all within anything from 45 minutes to several hours (pretty much like the Krauties of old really but without the Armour).

Don't get me wrong England is my home & it's always nice to come back to visit, but I've settled here now (at the time of writing, 28 years in Country) but being an "Englander in the Fatherland" is quite good. One day I'll up sticks & head back to Blighty .............. maybe.
Old 27-06-2012, 18:44   #218
Resting in Peace

Think I fancy the spanish to go through but its going to be a tough match, I'm of to watch it now
Old 27-06-2012, 20:38   #219
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Another late night !
Old 27-06-2012, 20:43   #220
God Member

This is a good game ... I'm actually glad it's going into extra time ... but that bloody ref! Anyone else lose count of the bs yellow cards? And too many wimps and pussies on the field. Time for another Bomber
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 22:44   #221
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Spain never really played until extra time, overall deserved to go through.
Old 28-06-2012, 09:05   #222
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Spain never really played until extra time, overall deserved to go through.
A very tedious match cashy, only came to life in extra time, and again the ref was pants, Spain just shaded it, but could have gone out in the lottery which is penalties, why the hell did Portugal get licked 4-2 on pens and twinkle toes didn't even take a kick utter stupidity, the guy that miss the last pen never looked like scoring he even got the order mixed up, should have sent Ronaldo up before him
Old 28-06-2012, 13:39   #223
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A very tedious match cashy, only came to life in extra time, and again the ref was pants, Spain just shaded it, but could have gone out in the lottery which is penalties, why the hell did Portugal get licked 4-2 on pens and twinkle toes didn't even take a kick utter stupidity, the guy that miss the last pen never looked like scoring he even got the order mixed up, should have sent Ronaldo up before him
Dickheado was the captain, so would presume was his choice?
Old 28-06-2012, 14:53   #224
God Member

I really enjoyed the England - Italy match -apart from the gloating i had to put up with from my son and husband when we lost! I thought England were unlucky not to have scored during normal time especially at the beginning ...I do think they need to brush up on their penalty kicking though.

Last nights match was one of the worst i've seen so far -was expecting much more from Spain.

Italy - Germany tonight -should be a thriller. They're all excited over here about it.
Don't think of Italy as my second team - personally i fancy Germany to win it with a few goals scored by either side. Maybe 3-2. Can't say that here though!!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 15:24   #225
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Well i just backed Italy to do the Krauts.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..