Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 14:53   #1
Resting in Peace

Football Nostalgia

Though I would start a thread about football nostalgia, there are a lot of us on here who are long in the tooth and can remember a lot of the greats playing like Douglas, Jimmy Mac, Best Charlton Finney, Matthews and the like, what are your memories.

I think one of my oldest memory was getting a ticket for the 1960 just 2 days before the game. In those days, the likes of Rovers and Burnley averaged 40,000 gates so when it came to things like cup finals tickets were like gold dust. My dad got one because he was a season ticket holder, but in those days each club only got 13,000 tickets, which was a scandal. On the Thursday my ant came in and said she could get a ground ticket, but it was rather dear 52shillings and sixpence ( face price was 3 and 6) but the old lady paid up and I was off to Wembley
Old 09-05-2009, 15:01   #2
God Member

Re: Football Nostalgia

My earliest memories are from watching Rovers with my Grandad. Standing on the Riverside. My Grandad always had a flask of coffee with something a bit stronger in - I was allowed a bit even though I was only 12 or so. Saw George Best when he played for Fulham - played Rovers in one of his last matches. Went down to Aston Villa to watch a cup match and ended up stood amongst all the home fans.

Lots of happy memories.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 15:04   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

me mam wouldn't let me go in 60, so i went. tried to buy a ticket in london with about 30 bob in me pocket, no chance. ended up knocking on peoples doors- can i watch cup final on yer telly please? got a result wi that. also got a damn good hiding when i got home sunday night.
Old 09-05-2009, 15:10   #4
God Member

I know my Dad went to that match at Wembley. He said the atmosphere was amazing.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:28   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I know my Dad went to that match at Wembley. He said the atmosphere was amazing.
Ya it was marvelous until Norman Deeley scored the first goal

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..