Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 15:52   #16
I am Banned

Re: Goal or What

Quote:
0800 won nothing won nothing won nothing
Wrong again mate. Burnley have history and HAVE won things, such as the FA Cup
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2005, 17:48   #17
Senior Member+

And..........................they really have a history.........Div 1 Winners 1920/21 1959/60 FA Cup Winners 1913/14.........................
And they will be in Europe next year......

If theres a war

You are 11th at the moment with 39 points the leaders have 55pts no matter what your current form is its points that count.
After Friday you will be able to concentrate on the League and forget about Ideas of beating contenders for the European cup.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 18:51   #18
Senior Member+

OK back on track with this thread, From your intrepid reporter
Manchester United's march towards the 2004/05 Premiership title continued today with a stunning display at Old Trafford. The Super Reds went ahead just before the kick-off when Giggs was sent away down the left wing. His cross was handled on the half way line by a Spurs defender and a penalty was awarded for this cynical foul. Alan Smith stepped up to slot the ball home for United's 33rd penalty of the season. It was no more than United deserved.
The 15th minute saw the Super-Smashing Reds go two up after Simon Davis was penalised for coughing just outside the area. Ryan Giggs resultant free kick was slightly miss-hit, but even if the keeper was not being pinned to the floor by Roy Keane, he would not have saved it. 2-0. It was no more than United deserved.
The 21st minute saw more trouble for Spurs when Noe Pamarot was sent-off for enquiring about the referee's Man United shirt. However two minutes after the interval Spurs struck back after an amazing piece of good fortune. The referee's assistant could only parry Simon Davies' shot and Robbie Keane thumped the ball home. Confusion reigned for 10 minutes as the entire Manchester United squad surrounded the referee, arguing that the referee's assistant had been fouled 15 minutes earlier. The referee grudgingly had to give the goal even though he racked his brain for a reason to disallow it.
Alex Ferguson was furious and rushed down from his seat in the stand to the dugout, knocking over a number of blind, disabled, pensioners in wheel-chairs on the way down. Fortunately, things settled down again as Paul Scholes took a long-range shot, which deflected off the corner flag but had clearly crossed the line, 3-1. It was no more than United deserved.
Just after the restart, un-sportsmanlike Ledley King was dismissed for making ridiculous claims for a penalty after Roy Keane had nearly decapitated Robbie Keane. The referee and his assistant missed the incident as they were both asking Ryan Giggs for his autograph, but replays showed that Keane's flying kung-fu kick, followed by a forearm smash was clearly unintentional.
Ten minutes later Ferguson took off Giggs and replaced him with Gary Nevile, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, and Phil Nevile. Wonderful, wonderful Man United's 4th came shortly after. Robbie Keane was caught offside just outside the Spurs penalty area and Ronaldo's free-kick thundered in after deflecting off the underside of the flood lights. It was no more than United deserved.
The super, marvel, wonder Reds kept the pressure on until the bitter end. In the 98th minute Pedro Mendes conceded a free kick just outside his own area for blatantly glancing at the referee. Ronaldo stepped up and proceeded to chip the ball right into the referee's path and he made no mistake from 10 yards. Goal number 5 and it was no more than United deserved.
Scholes slotted home number 6 from the penalty spot after Gardner went down with a broken leg. Fortunately Roy Keane was nearby when it happened and, after running 50 yards, he was able to bring the incident to the referee's attention. Unfazed by Gardner's cynical tactics, protruding bone and spraying blood, the referee sent him off for diving (and time wasting) and awarded United the penalty. Keane cheekily chipped the ball over the keeper and the crossbar, but the referee decided that it was a goal, because based on past records, Keane rarely missed and is hard and scary.
When the final whistle went after 33 minutes of injury time, Spurs traipsed off with their heads low, having been taught a footballing lesson by what is by far the greatest team the World has ever seen. As the losers hit the showers, a superb flowing movement by United culminated with a fine diving header by Alex Ferguson
and it was 7-1. However the referee decided that it was such a good goal, it should count double.

Last edited by Bazf; 06-01-2005 at 18:54.
Old 06-01-2005, 19:11   #19
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Excellent as always Bazf, Fearon1 I will just let my team respond to your comment and Yerself I've nothing more to add.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 13:49   #20
I am Banned

Bazf -

Are you forgetting we also have 2 games in hand.

6 points away from the play-offs with 2 games in hand
11 points away from automatic spot with 2 games in hand

If we win both games in hand where in a play-off position.
Old 07-01-2005, 13:50   #21
I am Banned

Bazf -

If you are posting things about other clubs i would make sure youve got ur facts right
Old 07-01-2005, 15:19   #22
I am Banned

th laws of the game state that in the opnion of the referee and linesman a goal can only be give if they are both sure that whole of the ball crossed the line,as the linesman was not ure from the position he was n he could not due t the laws of the game award a goal,dont forget 1966wc final,that was,nt over the line but the russian linerwho was in thesame position as the liner at old trfford said yes,so its swings and roundabouts really,
weakest link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 17:06   #23
Senior Member+

Fearon, you do have to go on about your team, I understand loyalty, I dont understand why you dont get it, Burnley have been in this position so many times and as soon as they have to pay Win bonuses watch them run a mile, They can not afford to be in the prem otherwise they would have appointed a manager that has a proven record to get them there the choices were about, and I have this discussion with my dad on a regular basis, Burnley are the tightest club around any manager with a chance to take a club up would jump at the job no matter what the wages were, just accept that the board are hopeless and only have there own intrests at heart.
Old 07-01-2005, 20:14   #24
I am Banned

Steve Coterill is the best young manager around. He has qualifications which are better than most premiership managers.
You just dont have a clue, SC came to the club when we had 8 players. Most of the fans where expecting a relegation battle, but look what has happened, a play-off place is within our capabilities.

Quote:
They can not afford to be in the prem
When you get promoted to the premiership you get £15million, so how can we not afford to be in the premiership. How could pompey aford to be in the premiership, when they got promoted they where on a smiular financial situation as us.

You talk utter bollocks.

Quote:
otherwise they would have appointed a manager that has a proven record to get them there

I dont think many other managers could have done a better job than what SC has done this season.

Quote:
Burnley are the tightest club around any manager with a chance to take a club up would jump at the job no matter what the wages were
How do you work that out. Would you rather see clubs spend more than they can afford which will mean in a few years they could risk extinction

Quote:
just accept that the board are hopeless and only have there own intrests at heart.
The board have been good to Burnley, just look at what Barry Kilby has done for the club.

And finally, you dont know what the heck your talking about, from the posts you have made recently shows you know nothing about Burnley Football Club.
STICK TO BASEBALL AND BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Fearon1; 07-01-2005 at 20:20.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:54   #25
Senior Member+

I used to like the dingles as most of my family are supporters but with comments like yours above I now know in my heart why I thought all the kids at school that walked around with clown shirts ( Aston Villa & Scunthorpe) tops were dick heads. I could pull your argument apart except it isnt worth it. Please live in all belief that "the best young manager" can get you in to the prem as his experience at Cheltenham and Stoke should see him through.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06   #26
I am Banned

Burnley have a 3 year plan, and i expect us to be pushing for a play-off place in these three years. You think football is easy and easy to get promoted to the premiership, thats where your wrong. And how the hell can you start saying stuff about SC when he has had hardly any money at all to spend and came to the club with 8 players.

Me and the majority of Burnley fans have faith in SC and beleive he will get us to the premiership one day. Il see what your saying when SC is managing a giant club, which he will be no doutb in a few years, beacuse he is that good of manager.
Old 08-01-2005, 17:23   #27
Senior Member+

In your own argument you say you dont want to spend money as you will be extinct but without spending money you wont get promotion, 1.5million for Blake use the money to strenthen the squad or pay back Kilby?
When you get promoted you get 15m, only if you go up as champions, your share from the playoffs would be about 4.5m (2 clubs share 50% of gate money and TV rights last 2 years average was 4m each).
Most teams dont make it in the first year when they are promoted why? finances, look at West Brom, Norwich, Wolves etc...with crowds of around 25,000 and a financial infrastructure in place didnt make it. The standard of play is a lot higher in the prem and you have to buy players that can compete in that league so you would have have to change most of your squad, who are you going to be able to afford, players who have been let go by there prem teams and older players who are at the end of thier careers, are they going to go for a 50/50 ball the same way a young up and coming player would? When Howard Wilkinson took Leeds up he used the long ball, with players who had seen better days but were skillfull and could play to his system, he didnt bother about cup games and put all his emphasis on getting promoted then when he did he changed his squad over the summer and stayed up the next year.
You admit Burnley arn't a big club and Cottrill will be a better manager of a giant club so are you expecting him to leave if a giant club comes for him or if he doesnt get you promoted in 3 years is he going to be sacked? also I think young mangers like David Moyes at Everton and Iain Dowie of Palace would disagree that Steve Cottrill was the best young manager around.
Old 08-01-2005, 18:28   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
In your own argument you say you dont want to spend money as you will be extinct but without spending money you wont get promotion
I said we dont want to spend money we havent got. We should be getting some of the Blake money to strengthen the squad.

If Coterill doesnt get us promoted in 3 years he will not be sacked. I didnt say the 3 year plan was to get promoted, no-one knows what the 3 year plan is, only the Chairman and manager.

If a big premiership club wanted Coterill to manage them, then there will be quite an amount of money which Burnley will get from compensation.

If we do get promoted we will sign players, and who knows, we might do a Bolton, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Charlton and stay there.
Old 08-01-2005, 21:24   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
also I think young mangers like David Moyes at Everton and Iain Dowie of Palace would disagree that Steve Cottrill was the best young manager around.
Or John Coleman
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:37   #30
Senior Member+

Alex "we woz robbed" Ferguson
ALEX FERGUSON believes it was Manchester United not Spurs who were robbed of victory by blunder referee Mark Clattenburg.
The referee and his linesman Rob Lewis have become infamous for the goal that never was at Old Trafford on Tuesday.
Neither saw the ball was well over the line when United goalkeeper Roy Carroll fumbled in the final minute.But Ferguson believes it was the realisation of that error which immediately denied the Reds a match-winning penalty at the other end.
Ferguson said: “We should have got a penalty straight after that incident.“But I believe what happened at the other end was still in the back of the referee’s mind.“He saw the reaction of the Spurs players who could not believe he hadn’t given a goal.“It was over the line there is no dispute about that, but why were we not then given a penalty at the other end?”
Ferguson does not blame the officials for failing to see the extent of Carroll’s blunder.But he refuted suggestions that his own goalkeeper should have owned up to the ball being over the line.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..