Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 13:00   #1
Senior Member+

Half way line.......

Sorry couldn't resist,I know its from the start of the season but its worth a watch......
Old 11-02-2007, 16:19   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Half way line.......

Brilliant!

However shouldn’t the referee have disallowed the goal?

One FCU player was stood in the opponent’s half when the centre was taken.

I know that this happens all the time but the laws state that each team must be in their own half when a centre is kicked off.
Old 11-02-2007, 16:26   #3
God Member

Re: Half way line.......

If you wanted to be really picky there is also another infringement there. Anyone spot it ?
Old 11-02-2007, 16:30   #4
God Member

Brilliant goal & even better soundtrack
Lancsdave, ain't the ref supposed to be on the halfway line when he blows the whistle?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 16:32   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Nope! What is it?
Old 11-02-2007, 16:48   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
ain't the ref supposed to be on the halfway line when he blows the whistle?
Or maybe the liner?
Old 11-02-2007, 17:12   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If you wanted to be really picky there is also another infringement there. Anyone spot it ?
It’s not being picky. Rules is rules is rules and if players are allowed to bend them what was the point of having them in the first place.

This sort of rule bending goes on all the time. Free kicks and throw ins are taken yards from where they should have been. Sometimes a ref will pull the player up and make him go back to the right spot, then as he turns away to run into position the player still encroaches and gains some yardage. “Accidentally” kicking the ball forward is one way. I accept that in most cases it is impossible to state just exactly where the throw in or free kick should be taken from but come on ten yards is stretching it somewhat.

You get something similar with the defending wall. The ref makes sure the wall is the correct distance from the ball and as he turns his back the wall moves up a yard or two. CHEATS!

I spotted this on MoTD on Sat. United’s goalie was right up on the edge of his area and then threw the ball out underarm. His arm was outside the area before he let go of the ball. Handball? Definitely yes but nothing was done. That might be picky but as I stated rules is rules is rules and rules are black and white.

Try it for yourself. Place a piece of paper on the floor, stand on it and make like you are throwing a ball underarm or even overarm. Your hand, which would be holding the ball, has to go past your piece of paper.
Old 11-02-2007, 17:13   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Or maybe the liner?
Eh! What do you mean?
Old 11-02-2007, 17:16   #9
God Member

Lancsdave said there was another infringement besides the one you highlighted, and I thought it may have been the incorrect positioning of the linesman or the ref himself.
Old 11-02-2007, 17:28   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Lancsdave said there was another infringement besides the one you highlighted, and I thought it may have been the incorrect positioning of the linesman or the ref himself.
The linesman, or assistant referees as they are now known, was where he should have been and the ball appeared to travel a distance equal to or more than the circumference of the ball so I cannot see any other infringement.

I think that lancsdave is having us on and is having some perverse pleasure in making us search for an infringement that isn't there.
Old 11-02-2007, 17:50   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
The linesman, or assistant referees as they are now known, was where he should have been and the ball appeared to travel a distance equal to or more than the circumference of the ball so I cannot see any other infringement.

I think that lancsdave is having us on and is having some perverse pleasure in making us search for an infringement that isn't there.

Not quite perverse and I did say it was picky. The player didn't actually kick the ball he rolled it with the underside of his boot. It wasn't too long ago when referees were issued with directives to stop that happening at free kicks but it's also one of those directives which has been overlooked in the name of common sense.
Old 11-02-2007, 18:18   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

I had thought of that but as there is nothing in the current rules about the definition of what is and is not a kick, I dismissed it. Rolling the ball forward with the underside of the boot is a kick, an odd one no doubt but nonetheless a kick.
Law 8. Procedure - the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward
There was something donkeys years ago when footballers wore ‘proper’ boots with a hard toecap and leather studs, that players had to ‘kick’ a ball and not ‘push’ it. Much like in snooker – the cue must strike the ball and not push it forward. But that went out in football with the last dinosaur.

Just as a tiny side issue – whilst I was searching the laws of football I just had to look at the current off side laws. It’s no wonder that there is confusion about when or if a player is off side or not. Whatever happened to the simple “a player is on side when there is one outfield defending player and the goalkeeper between him and the goal line at the time that the ball is passed to him unless it is passed from that player’s own half”? Meaning that if those conditions do not apply he is off side.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..