Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2012, 09:59   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: He's Jordan Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
I'm not a gambling man. Anyway, the way my luck's going at the moment Charlie will be struck by lightning and Kean will have a brain transplant to make him a football manager.
Well as bad as Kean is he seems to have the head over Howe, which makes him a really ducky
Old 17-09-2012, 10:18   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
More chance of Charlie being struck, than the other option.
It's neck and neck at the moment and Charlie didn't cost us 8 million. A lot is made of your guy's 40 goals last season but it was in league one.
Hey, 34 years says the law of averages is on our side this season. Besides, as I have pointed out on other football forums, 34 years seems a lot but it's not actually that many games is it? Unless my history is wrong Man Utd have never won at Barnet and Barcelona have never beaten Stanley. Statistics, eh? Don't you just love 'em.
Old 17-09-2012, 10:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well as bad as Kean is he seems to have the head over Howe, which makes him a really ducky
So you think Kean is better than Howe? Are you a convert? I thought all Rovers fans thought that Kean was the Devil incarnate? I believe Eddie (first names you see?) is the man for the job. Kean is only the man for the job if you're a Claret.
Old 17-09-2012, 18:14   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So you think Kean is better than Howe? Are you a convert? I thought all Rovers fans thought that Kean was the Devil incarnate? I believe Eddie (first names you see?) is the man for the job. Kean is only the man for the job if you're a Claret.
We're a better team with or without Kean, infact Dingles spend so much time try to put Rovers down they forget just what a crap club they support, always in our shadows
Old 18-09-2012, 09:55   #20

Quote:
We're a better team with or without Kean, infact Dingles spend so much time try to put Rovers down they forget just what a crap club they support, always in our shadows
Not quite always Jay. I remember the sixties and seventies when we were the dominant side, in the first division when your lot were struggling in the second and third with crowds of 6 or 7 thousand. Things will change as they always have. We're not a big club but then again neither are you (or Bolton, Preston etc.) and our days of glory are over unless something is done about the obsession with money that pervades the whole game at it's higher level now.
I hate Rovers as much as you probably hate us and that's okay, but I grieve for the days when you could have a good side and keep it together for a couple of seasons without big clubs stealing your best players just to bolster already over large squads that are totally unnecessary.
If you look at the prem now, how totally uncompetitive is it. We used to laugh at the Scottish league with it's Celtic/Rangers dominance but we're not that different now. 20-odd years of the premiere league and only 5 champions, and two of them were one-offs (Rovers and City and they couldn't have done it without massive financial backing).
Rovers fans need just a little dose of reality. You punched above your weight for years on the back of Jack Walkers legacy and for that you are to be congratulated, but now you are back in the real world and you will realise that you are, after all, just a little Lancashire club just trying to get along.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:09   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Not quite always Jay. I remember the sixties and seventies when we were the dominant side, in the first division when your lot were struggling in the second and third with crowds of 6 or 7 thousand. Things will change as they always have. We're not a big club but then again neither are you (or Bolton, Preston etc.) and our days of glory are over unless something is done about the obsession with money that pervades the whole game at it's higher level now.
I hate Rovers as much as you probably hate us and that's okay, but I grieve for the days when you could have a good side and keep it together for a couple of seasons without big clubs stealing your best players just to bolster already over large squads that are totally unnecessary.
If you look at the prem now, how totally uncompetitive is it. We used to laugh at the Scottish league with it's Celtic/Rangers dominance but we're not that different now. 20-odd years of the premiere league and only 5 champions, and two of them were one-offs (Rovers and City and they couldn't have done it without massive financial backing).
Rovers fans need just a little dose of reality. You punched above your weight for years on the back of Jack Walkers legacy and for that you are to be congratulated, but now you are back in the real world and you will realise that you are, after all, just a little Lancashire club just trying to get along.
The last time we were in the prem 11 seasons Uncle Jacks money was long gone, we stayed there through good sound management (John Williams) and have decent Managers, Hushes Souness Alladice, things only went tits up when Kean took over, he'll never be a manager as long as he has an hole in his backside, he just a chancer. The thing is Dingles always had those little Green eyes,, doubt if you'd be so critical if Burnley had had a benefactor like Jack Walker, a true fan watched Rovers from the terraces when he was a kid and then wanted to see them do well, unlike most premier clubs who have ,Arab American or Russian owners, there's only probably one club in England who could punch their weight without outside finances and that's United
But there's one thing I do agree with you its not about football these days its about who as the most money, as City and Chelski have proved, but even that doesn't totally guarantee success, ask Liverpool
Old 18-09-2012, 10:36   #22

Quote:
The last time we were in the prem 11 seasons Uncle Jacks money was long gone, we stayed there through good sound management (John Williams) and have decent Managers, Hushes Souness Alladice, things only went tits up when Kean took over, he'll never be a manager as long as he has an hole in his backside, he just a chancer. The thing is Dingles always had those little Green eyes,, doubt if you'd be so critical if Burnley had had a benefactor like Jack Walker, a true fan watched Rovers from the terraces when he was a kid and then wanted to see them do well, unlike most premier clubs who have ,Arab American or Russian owners, there's only probably one club in England who could punch their weight without outside finances and that's United
But there's one thing I do agree with you its not about football these days its about who as the most money, as City and Chelski have proved, but even that doesn't totally guarantee success, ask Liverpool
You've got no argument from me about Rovers being a well run club, indeed they were, and Jack Walker was a genuine fan too. Your stay in the Premiere League was lengthy but then if you get a run in it the money kind of takes care of itself and you can at least survive for a while. But don't you think that "survival" is a poor thing to aspire to in football. Shouldn't all football fans be able to "realistically" dream of being, or at least challenging for, the championship?
Less than a year ago I posted on another forum about the desperate times at Rovers. At that time there was a real fear amongst Rovers fans that the club would go to the wall and I was totally sympathetic to the cause. Why?
Because I don't want to lose my old enemies and, just as importantly, I hate any football club being pushed over the edge due to the mis-management of foreign investors who think football in this country is a quick buck.
Just a point though: Clarets hatred of Rovers is nothing to do with jealousy. We hated you just as much when we were the top side in East Lancashire. It's just a local rivalry that I suppose will never end as long as the two sides exist, which I hope will be for a long time to come.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:40   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Theres also additional hatred though through Bob Lord n Stanley,back in 62, which you were probably a bit young to notice?
Old 18-09-2012, 10:55   #24

Quote:
Theres also additional hatred though through Bob Lord n Stanley,back in 62, which you were probably a bit young to notice?
You're right Cashy, I was too young but I have heard about some problems because of Lord. It doesn't surprise me though. Burnley fans hated Lord. Okay, he was a hard headed business man and maybe through his dealings he kept the club in good financial order, but he also sold our best players almost on a whim. To this day, among Burnley fans of a certain age, the Bob Lord stand is known as the Martin Dobson stand due to the fact that his sale largely funded it. We had a great, potentially championship-winning side at the time but he dismantled it and we were relegated (twice) before disappearing into the depths of the lower leagues (and the scary Orient game).
I don't know the detail of the Stanley problem with Lord but I am sorry that my club had any involvement with their demise, but I think there is now a good relationship between the two clubs and long may that last. I know a lot of Clarets who go to Stanley as a second club and I hope that the people of Accrington wake up to the fact that there is a great (and very famous) football club, with real supporters, just a few minutes walk from the centre of town.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:58   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

There is very good relations between the 2 clubs these days,in fact some of me best mates are Dingles.
Old 18-09-2012, 11:05   #26

Quote:
There is very good relations between the 2 clubs these days,in fact some of me best mates are Dingles.
Next time I can afford a second game at Stanley I'll let you know and you can buy me that pint.
Old 18-09-2012, 14:04   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Next time I can afford a second game at Stanley I'll let you know and you can buy me that pint.
Don't forget then.
Old 18-09-2012, 17:25   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You've got no argument from me about Rovers being a well run club, indeed they were, and Jack Walker was a genuine fan too. Your stay in the Premiere League was lengthy but then if you get a run in it the money kind of takes care of itself and you can at least survive for a while. But don't you think that "survival" is a poor thing to aspire to in football. Shouldn't all football fans be able to "realistically" dream of being, or at least challenging for, the championship?
Less than a year ago I posted on another forum about the desperate times at Rovers. At that time there was a real fear amongst Rovers fans that the club would go to the wall and I was totally sympathetic to the cause. Why?
Because I don't want to lose my old enemies and, just as importantly, I hate any football club being pushed over the edge due to the mis-management of foreign investors who think football in this country is a quick buck.
Just a point though: Clarets hatred of Rovers is nothing to do with jealousy. We hated you just as much when we were the top side in East Lancashire. It's just a local rivalry that I suppose will never end as long as the two sides exist, which I hope will be for a long time to come.
As far as I'm concerned I would think every club strives to attain the best league position they can, which ever division they're in, but competing with the cities chelskis and united of this world, makes it very hard to reach the pinnacle, hell will freeze over before another town club like Rovers wins it, but at least I was around to witness them playing and winning one of the best leagues in the world, example last nights game between the Toffees and the Toon, cracking game but very poor officials
Old 18-09-2012, 17:29   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You're right Cashy, I was too young but I have heard about some problems because of Lord. It doesn't surprise me though. Burnley fans hated Lord. Okay, he was a hard headed business man and maybe through his dealings he kept the club in good financial order, but he also sold our best players almost on a whim. To this day, among Burnley fans of a certain age, the Bob Lord stand is known as the Martin Dobson stand due to the fact that his sale largely funded it. We had a great, potentially championship-winning side at the time but he dismantled it and we were relegated (twice) before disappearing into the depths of the lower leagues (and the scary Orient game).
I don't know the detail of the Stanley problem with Lord but I am sorry that my club had any involvement with their demise, but I think there is now a good relationship between the two clubs and long may that last. I know a lot of Clarets who go to Stanley as a second club and I hope that the people of Accrington wake up to the fact that there is a great (and very famous) football club, with real supporters, just a few minutes walk from the centre of town.
I have a few mates how support various teams Rovers Burnley Pool United City, but they all have Stanley as there second club, and no doubt if my health wasn't so poor I'd be on the clayton end with cashy and Wyn when ever possible
Old 19-09-2012, 09:29   #30

Quote:
I have a few mates how support various teams Rovers Burnley Pool United City, but they all have Stanley as there second club, and no doubt if my health wasn't so poor I'd be on the clayton end with cashy and Wyn when ever possible
They are a well loved club to be sure, Jay.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..