Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2005, 09:10   #1
Junior Member+

Post Kev's New Column

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 2px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=articleoptionsblack>FootyMAD > wiganer.net > Columnists > Kev Robinson > Who wants to be a millionare?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-TOP: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 2px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 2px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#003399><TBODY><TR vAlign=center><TD align=middle width=70 rowSpan=2> </TD><TD class=articleheadlineblack style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ffffff 2px solid" colSpan=2 height=40>Who wants to be a millionare?

</TD></TR><TR class=articlesubheadblack bgColor=#ffffff><TD style="BORDER-LEFT: #ffffff 2px solid" height=30>Feature by Kev Robinson

</TD><TD align=right>Updated 16 June 2005

<TABLE class=articlebodyblack cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=textjustify><TD>Scott Parker’s recent transfer from Chelsea to Newcastle is typical of players these days- they just want the money.

</TD></TR><TR class=TextJustify><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1 0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=arial8wht bgColor=#ffffff>Scott Parker: £55,000 a week?!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Obviously the 24-year-old cannot be blamed for moving from Chelsea Reserves but his decision to snub the Champions League for the UEFA Cup has proved controversial.

Everton looked favorites to land the former Charlton youngster as they had the advantage of being the only team interested that were in the Champions League. Despite offers from Spurs and the UEFA Cup with Newcastle David Moyes’ side looked to have the upper hand until the deal was announced at St. James’ Park.

So why on earth did a player with hopes of squeezing into the England squad choose Newcastle? Money. Parker is rumored to be on around £50,000 a week- something that could not be matched by any of their rivals to his signature.

The money paid to players now is unbelievable. Many players earn in a week more than many people will earn in a year. As Ken Bates said earlier this month, ''An awful lot of Premiership players are getting silly money.”

As clubs become more desperate to lure, or keep hold of, star players, the average wage has crept up and now many top flight footballers are paid over £100,000 every week.

There is not much that can be done by clubs to stop the vastly increasing wages but there is increasing pressure on FIFA to introduce a maximum wage.

Paul Jewell’s attempt to bring Scott Parker to the JJB showed what ambition the current manager has got. Lets hope that he can pull off one or two big signings like Parker to help keep us up.

Moving on and it seems that Manchester United may have finally solved their goalkeeping crisis by bringing in a solid reliable goalkeeper- or so they think…

At 35, Edwin van der Sar has not got too many years ahead of him and last season a few errors began creeping into his game.

I am sure the Dutch international will give United one or two years good service but what about after that? Will an older Tim Howard be given another chance to prove himself or will he have already followed the countless goalkeeping flops out of Old Trafford by then?

Will van der Sar catch the Man United curse that seems to fall upon all their goalkeepers?

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1 0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=arial8wht bgColor=#ffffff>Roy Carroll's error against Spurs

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Talking of Manchester United goalkeepers, one of the more recent flops is Roy Carroll who, after being released by the Red Devils, has recently signed for West Ham. (Do West Ham always attract dodgy keepers? David James and now Carroll!)

On hearing Alan Pardew’s comments following his signing, I could do nothing but laugh out loud.

“Roy comes to West Ham United in his prime and because of his association with Manchester United, will not be fazed by the size of this club.”

I’m sorry but a player coming from Blackpool would not be fazed by the size of the ‘little hammers’- the has-beens.

Hammers fans- you are no longer a big club. You had better enjoy your stint back in the top flight as without a few quality (and that doesn't include Carroll) signings you will most probably be going straight back down.

Look out for my predictions for the 2005/06 season in my next column!

GOT A COMMENT FOR ME OR AN IDEA FOR MY NEXT COLUMN? EMAIL ME HERE!fficeffice" /><O></O>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=articleoptionsblack><TD align=middle>Kev Robinson Index

<!-- | Index -->

Last edited by turf moor longsiders; 17-06-2005 at 09:30.
turf moor longsiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2005, 09:11   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Kev's New Column

http://www.wiganer.net/news/loadfeat...EDZ6&id=226457
Old 17-06-2005, 09:46   #3
Junior Member+

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #0000cc 2px solid; BORDER-TOP: #0000cc 2px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #0000cc 2px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0000cc 2px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=articleoptionsblack>FootyMAD > Pools MAD > Pools Latest > Team News

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=center bgColor=#0000cc height=30><TD class=articleheadlineblack colSpan=2>Pool Face Butler Fight
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD colSpan=2 height=3></TD></TR><TR class=articlesubheadblack bgColor=#ffffff><TD width="70%">Story by Kev Robinson
</TD><TD align=right width="30%">16 June 2005 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD colSpan=2 height=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=articlebodyblack cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=textjustify>An article submitted by up-and-coming journalist, Kevin Robinson.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=articlebodyblack cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=textjustify><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1lace>Hartlepool</st1lace> are facing a fight for the signature of former Irish international Thomas Butler.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

The former
<st1lace>Dunfermline</st1lace> winger spent the end of the season at Victoria Park and helped the club to the play-off final, which ended sourly for both the club and himself after limping out of the 4-2 defeat after just half an hour.

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City><st1lace><SPAN style=[/img]Butler</SPAN></st1lace></st1:City> made 14 appearances for <st1lace>Dunfermline</st1lace> last season following his switch from <st1lace>Sunderland</st1lace> but following his release he spent three month out of the game before signing a short term deal at <st1lace>Hartlepool</st1lace>.
His eleven appearances for the Pool last season alerted the attention of League One rivals Bournmouth and
<st1lace>Bradford</st1lace> and now <st1lace>Hartlepool</st1lace> face a fight to keep him for next season.

<st1:City><st1lace>Butler</st1lace></st1:City> got two senior <st1:country-region><st1lace>Ireland</st1lace></st1:country-region> caps in 2002 but since then his international career went stale and he will, no doubt, be hoping that he can get regular football under his belt as he attempts to earn a recall to the international squad. <o></o>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.hartlepoolutd-mad.co.uk/n...TMNW&id=226498

Last edited by turf moor longsiders; 17-06-2005 at 09:47.
Old 17-06-2005, 13:43   #4
Senior Member+

We dont care Kev
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 13:47   #5
Junior Member+

I know!

i'm just showing how much I have improved!

Anyone got the latest Barlick and Earby/Colne Times/Nelson Leader???
Look out for my 5 articles!
Old 17-06-2005, 13:59   #6
Senior Member+

Have a big hat from me
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 14:02   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

whats wrong with going to a job with the best wages? get real would you not?
Old 17-06-2005, 14:07   #8
Junior Member+

That wasnt the point I was making. the point I was making is that players are paid way too much!
Old 17-06-2005, 14:26   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf moor longsiders
That wasnt the point I was making. the point I was making is that players are paid way too much!
of coarse they are paid too much the point is if i could earn it or you for that matter we would take it-simple.
Old 17-06-2005, 14:31   #10
Junior Member+

Yeah I never said any different.
Old 17-06-2005, 15:10   #11
Senior Member+

If you was earning that much i bet you wouldnt be saying you were earning too much, i bet you would be saying the opposite and thinking you where earning not enough :-)
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2005, 15:17   #12
Senior Member+

Dear Kev I luv u n i mis u i cnt liv wth out u. journyolist r defo da bst bits tht i hv ev red pls cum bk n luv mi n i wil defo cum dwn th backalley wid u n muk around. luv u Princesshales.
http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/f...&mid=2139888863 __________________

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..