Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 02:16   #16
Full Member+

Re: Lionel Messi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

Beckenbauer for me...hideous as a man, exquisite as a footballer
Have to say, although I never saw him in the flesh, "der kaiser" was probably the best defender I've watched. Calm & composed with the ball, solid in the tackle and liked to get forward.

If we're adding names to the " great players list" I'll throw a few names into the debate...Johann Cryuff & Booby Moore.One enduring image that sticks in my mind is Moore & Beckenbauer shaking hands after the game in Mexico '70. A great moment where two greats acknowledged each other in mutual appreciation after a great game...great football.....not so great result !!

Cryuff to me had perfect balance and touch and couldn't half put a chance away. Encapsulated the "total football" ethic that the Dutch played in that era!!

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ooh .... you name dropper you !
Ya beat me to it
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35   #18
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Cryuff to me had perfect balance and touch and couldn't half put a chance away. Encapsulated the "total football" ethic that the Dutch played in that era!!
I can go with that, they played some great football also I'd commend Johnny Rep & Johan Neeskins, from the same era some classic players.
Old 08-04-2012, 14:10   #19
God Member

The World Cup from 74 was probably my first football memory which now is etched into football folklore

Johan Cruyff biography

To come back to Messi he is nothing short of a magician with a football but how much of that is down to the Barca way?

Barcelona's secret to soccer success

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 14:39   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
The World Cup from 74 was probably my first football memory which now is etched into football folklore

Johan Cruyff biography

To come back to Messi he is nothing short of a magician with a football but how much of that is down to the Barca way?

Barcelona's secret to soccer success
Fer me thats a real hard question, Skill N Temperament that Messi has got, i would say he always had.
Old 08-04-2012, 17:57   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Fer me that's a real hard question, Skill N Temperament that Messi has got, i would say he always had.
Quite right cashy people like Messi are born with talent, but they don't always use it to its full extend, thankfully Messi has taken his talent and turned himself into a football genius, they don't come round very often
Old 09-04-2012, 16:34   #22
Senior Member+

I don't think you can compare players from different eras. Different ball, boots(now shoes), better playing surfaces, different training methods, so much has changed. I consider myself fortunate to have seen so many great players from Mathews (first in 1947(?) at Ewood for Stoke), Finney, Lofthouse, Shackleton. through Puskas, Gento, Pele, Charlton, Best, Law, and so on. Messi must rate very high but one must also give credit to the players that are alongside him at Barca. He doesn't shine as well for Argentina.
We each have opinions as to who is/was the best but really your choice is your favourite player - my own choice is split between two - naturally both United - Edwards & Coleman, unfortunately I only got to see them a few times
Old 09-04-2012, 17:17   #23
Senior Member+

The other big difference is the officiating and players, today we have a bunch of "divers and cryers" in the past we watched men play. If they were kicked they didn't show it, just got up and played twice as hard. As good as Messi is he is protected by todays game. not that that's wrong, just different.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 17:35   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I don't think you can compare players from different eras. Different ball, boots(now shoes), better playing surfaces, different training methods, so much has changed. I consider myself fortunate to have seen so many great players from Mathews (first in 1947(?) at Ewood for Stoke), Finney, Lofthouse, Shackleton. through Puskas, Gento, Pele, Charlton, Best, Law, and so on. Messi must rate very high but one must also give credit to the players that are alongside him at Barca. He doesn't shine as well for Argentina.
We each have opinions as to who is/was the best but really your choice is your favourite player - my own choice is split between two - naturally both United - Edwards & Coleman, unfortunately I only got to see them a few times
I have to agree there Barrie, I think both would have gone on to be greats of the game, but they were sadly cut down before they cut make a real impact on the game, especially Edwards
Old 09-04-2012, 17:48   #25
Rest in Peace

I agree with Barry on all he says apart from his choice of player,never saw the Manchester players,I saw Matthews play at Burnley and Finney at Preston, and with Matthews only playing on the right wing for Blackpool and England, Finney filling all the five forward positions both for Preston and England when required and scored many goals, He would be my choice.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 18:53   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I agree with Barry on all he says apart from his choice of player,never saw the Manchester players,I saw Matthews play at Burnley and Finney at Preston, and with Matthews only playing on the right wing for Blackpool and England, Finney filling all the five forward positions both for Preston and England when required and scored many goals, He would be my choice.
They had to move Finney from his best position or Matthews would never have got a game fer England,Simple As.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:52   #27
Senior Member+

Once saw a program about tom finney, he was telling a tale about playing for England in Italy. He said he was approached by the chairman of one of the Milan teams , they offered him a deal to play for them saying that all his family would be looked after schools homes etc. They also offered him £5000 pounds to sign, when tom heard that he said in a surprised voice "£5000" the chairman thinking that tom thought it was to little an amount quickly said £10000 then, tom said i couldnt believe it £5000 was more money than i had ever thought i'd see as pro footballer. How times have changed with this lot today being greedy money grabbersA true great of the game, i have only seen him playing on the tv though bit young to have seen him live unfortunately.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Once saw a program about tom finney, he was telling a tale about playing for England in Italy. He said he was approached by the chairman of one of the Milan teams , they offered him a deal to play for them saying that all his family would be looked after schools homes etc. They also offered him £5000 pounds to sign, when tom heard that he said in a surprised voice "£5000" the chairman thinking that tom thought it was to little an amount quickly said £10000 then, tom said i couldn't believe it £5000 was more money than i had ever thought i'd see as pro footballer. How times have changed with this lot today being greedy money grabbersA true great of the game, i have only seen him playing on the tv though bit young to have seen him live unfortunately.
A few years ago I had a visit at home from former Rovers and England Winger Bryan Douglas, he was a friend of my Fathers and was in his prime back in the 60s when I was travelling around the country watching Rovers every week. We talked about the old days, Bryan was a one club man, like Finney and we talked about just how much players are paid today as opposed to his day, he just said he had earned much more money outside football than when he was playing, £120,000 is stupid money in anybodies book.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:28   #29
Senior Member+

Hey don,t forget his couple of seasons at Gt Harwood?? But I hear you, he was a great player and club man.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 20:16   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
A few years ago I had a visit at home from former Rovers and England Winger Bryan Douglas, he was a friend of my Fathers and was in his prime back in the 60s when I was travelling around the country watching Rovers every week. We talked about the old days, Bryan was a one club man, like Finney and we talked about just how much players are paid today as opposed to his day, he just said he had earned much more money outside football than when he was playing, £120,000 is stupid money in anybodies book.
I know John, when finney was playing he was still working as a plumber as well, when he had a Saturday home game he used to work on a Saturday morning and go to the match on the bus with the supporters

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..