Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2011, 14:27   #346
Resting in Peace

Re: Liverpool road to the title 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Sorry Jay, but it was 5 years between Rovers winning the Premiership and Jack Walker's death. He also broke the British transfer record twice, so there is some truth in the statement that he bought the title. What happened after the '94/95 season - did he lose interest or what?
As for Burnley, well, ruined by an ego - the Butcher Boy, but I did watch them play in the European Cup against Hamburg - and they won, back in the late '50s long before Rovers played in the European Cup.
At the end of the day, it all comes around that goes around. Mancie has been there since the '70s, for me it was Coleman, Edwards, Taylor and the like that caught my imagination - and my unswerving loyalty.
Each of us to his own, let us continue to enjoy the banter and most of all enjoy the football
All you plastic Mancs keep intimating the Rovers bought the title in 95 well considering United usually plunge about £50 into the transfer market every season seems like they have been doing the same for years.
Lets just look at the 92/3 at a few players that brought back the glory years to the theatre of merchandising inaugural Premier league season

Peter Schmeichel Bought from Bromby
Paul Parker, from Fulham
Paul Ince West Ham
Denis Irwin Leeds
Andrei Kanchelskis Dynamo Kyiv
Gary Pallister Middlesbrough
Steve Bruce Norwich
Bryan Robson WBA
Brian Choccy McClair Celtic
Mick Phelan Burnley vie Norwich
Lee Sharp Torque United
Eric Cantona Leeds United

And you lot say we bought the title, dream on
Old 15-01-2011, 14:35   #347
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
well considering United usually plunge about £50 into the transfer market every season seems like they have been doing the same for years.
Absolute bargains then !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:53   #348
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Absolute bargains then !
Ya Dave forgot the six noughts didn't I
Old 15-01-2011, 15:14   #349
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Woah Barrie, lets not go too far back, it was 50 years next Tuesday
Am I allowed to go back just under 35 years when I went to this match? 90p to watch a European match, scandalous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie
What gloating period are you on about Gump?..seeing as I've supported United since the mid 70's and never "moved" anywhere?
I think he tends to get a little jealous Mancie. That was back in the Tommy Docherty days when Utd weren't exactly winning much. The gate for the Ajax game was only just under 59,000. I don't know where all these glory hunters turned up from.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Utd-vs-Utd.jpg (104.2 KB, 31 views)

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 15-01-2011 at 15:16.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 16:21   #350
God Member

Ha Yerself... 90p entrance .. and that was for the Paddock... would have been cheaper in the Streford End!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 18:14   #351
Senior Member+

Of course Rovers have never had a 59,000 crowd unless they were playing away (at the Theatre of Dreams), or at Wembley - can't recall the last time they played at Wembley during the last 2 centuries - and of course they rolled over today, they prefer a London club to win the league rather than a Lancashire club.
Old 15-01-2011, 18:59   #352
God Member

Quote:
Of course Rovers have never had a 59,000 crowd unless they were playing away (at the Theatre of Dreams), or at Wembley - can't recall the last time they played at Wembley during the last 2 centuries - and of course they rolled over today, they prefer a London club to win the league rather than a Lancashire club.
Funny enough Barrie I've actually seen Rovers at Wembley twice in the 90's.. once in the play off final v Leicester and the Charity Shield v Everton..I suppose Jaysay will call me a glory hunter simply because I do on occasion pay to watch other northern teams when they are playing in my area... in fact he might have been at the same games...but then again I'm sure he's ugly mug would have stood out even in a large crowd!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 00:30   #353

This 'buying the title bit'.
if Rovers bought the title then so did the big clubs with money before us.
At that time rovers never bought any champions league and massive international superstars.
sherwood superstar from norwich city ? i dont think he was ever thought of as that..Le saux from chelsea reserves both at £ 600,000 a piece !!.
Something ive noticed is Spurs spending year after year for over the last decade maybe.They are constantly about 3rd highest spenders and this never gets mentioned. so Recent example is spurs ,in the last maybe 5 years,thats under martin jol,someone else? ( cant recall if someone inbetween ? ) Harry Rednapp have spent around £ 150 million in them 5 years!! now that really is big money folks..NOT JUST 28 MILLION THAT IS IT
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 00:56   #354

Speaking of Spurs, I'm hoping for a good result by them today, but i suppose that depends on who Fergie has booked as ref.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 09:40   #355
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Rovers record attendance is over 63,000 payed at wembley in 1987 winning the full members cup and in 1992 in the play offs
and two charity shields. I have actually been on Ewood with 58,000 v Burnley in the 1960 FA Cup Quarter final reply which we won 2-0 (nothing new there then) and ya I'd sooner see any body win the title, than United and Chelski and lets not forget the Dingles (but they'll will happen)
and we have to remember 75000 at the theatre of merchandising there are 70000 glory hunters from all over the place and 5000 mancs
Old 16-01-2011, 10:37   #356
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
and we have to remember 75000 at the theatre of merchandising there are 70000 glory hunters from all over the place
...including Accrington.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 10:51   #357
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...including Accrington.
Especially Accrington or even Rishton
Old 16-01-2011, 12:09   #358
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
Something ive noticed is Spurs spending year after year for over the last decade maybe.They are constantly about 3rd highest spenders and this never gets mentioned.
I think because there isn't a great deal of Spurs support on this site & added to that they haven't really "challenged" for the title in recent years. Ok they've had a 4th place finish in 2009/10 & 5ths through 2005/07, but you have to go back to 1989/90 for a 3rd place & even further back to 1950/51 when it was Div 1 for a championship title.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 12:50   #359
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think because there isn't a great deal of Spurs support on this site & added to that they haven't really "challenged" for the title in recent years. Ok they've had a 4th place finish in 2009/10 & 5ths through 2005/07, but you have to go back to 1989/90 for a 3rd place & even further back to 1950/51 when it was Div 1 for a championship title.
Think your wrong there Dave Spurs won it in the sixties in the Blanchflower, Smith, Jones and White era
Old 16-01-2011, 12:50   #360
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
This 'buying the title bit'.
if Rovers bought the title then so did the big clubs with money before us.
At that time rovers never bought any champions league and massive international superstars.
sherwood superstar from norwich city ? i dont think he was ever thought of as that..Le saux from chelsea reserves both at £ 600,000 a piece !!.
Something ive noticed is Spurs spending year after year for over the last decade maybe.They are constantly about 3rd highest spenders and this never gets mentioned. so Recent example is spurs ,in the last maybe 5 years,thats under martin jol,someone else? ( cant recall if someone inbetween ? ) Harry Rednapp have spent around £ 150 million in them 5 years!! now that really is big money folks..NOT JUST 28 MILLION THAT IS IT
They did break the British transfer record twice I believe - think it was Shearer and Sutton, but open to correction on the names

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..