Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2006, 10:13   #1
God Member

Mike Newell

Did anyone else hear Mike Newell's crass comments about women officiating at football matches, all brought about because the lady in question did not award Luton a penalty. I've always quite liked Newell for his no-nonsense approach and for calling a spade a spade but he definately went way too far on this occasion and should have his knuckles rapped for his outburst. The official was Amy Reyner who reffed a couple of matches for Stanley when in the conference and I have to say she was one of the few refs who could make Lee McEvilly behave himself on the pitch.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2006, 10:14   #2
God Member

Re: Mike Newell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
Did anyone else hear Mike Newell's crass comments about women officiating at football matches, all brought about because the lady in question did not award Luton a penalty. I've always quite liked Newell for his no-nonsense approach and for calling a spade a spade but he definately went way too far on this occasion and should have his knuckles rapped for his outburst. The official was Amy Reyner who reffed a couple of matches for Stanley when in the conference and I have to say she was one of the few refs who could make Lee McEvilly behave himself on the pitch.
He's now made a public apology. He's due to get sacked at 4pm anyway.
Old 13-11-2006, 10:15   #3
I am Banned

Its called being a sore loser!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 10:27   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
He's now made a public apology. He's due to get sacked at 4pm anyway.
Glad to hear it - both about the apology and the sacking. There's no excuse comments like that, I could hardly believe what I was hearing - stupid man.
Old 13-11-2006, 19:13   #5
God Member

Old 13-11-2006, 19:55   #6
Senior Member+

u sure thats a woman...

looks like steve mcmanaman to me ....

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 20:06   #7
God Member

Point is if it had been Steve McManaman (or any other bloke) the comments wouldn't have been made
Old 13-11-2006, 20:10   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad
Point is if it had been Steve McManaman (or any other bloke) the comments wouldn't have been made
POINT IS...who says we all have to be P.C.. ..

everybody is entitled to an opinion....women do not belong in mens football,simple as.. and i agree with Mr Newell 100%.....men should be officialed by men and women by women IMHO...(waits for the moronic karma)

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2006, 20:21   #9
God Member

I'm not rising to the bait BR - and I'm not going to give you the satisfaction of giving you bad karma. He was wrong - you are wrong - nuff said
Old 13-11-2006, 20:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER
POINT IS...who says we all have to be P.C..
It's not a question of being politically correct.
If she makes the wrong decisions then fair enough she is not doing her job properly.
Being a woman has nothing to do with it at all.
From what I have seen of the referee in question though as many will agree, she is excellent at her job & Mike Newell should get some balls instead of acting like a child.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 15:43   #11
God Member

...Wonder if she 'calls the shots' at home.....???
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 16:14   #12
Senior Member+

Mike Newell has not been sacked, although he has been severely reprimanded.

More details here.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2006, 16:35   #13
God Member

He hasn't really apologised.. he said the timing was bad... that to me means he would say it again but pick a better time..

blackburn raver is a mans man if you see what i mean.. no room for women
Old 16-11-2006, 16:41   #14
God Member

Intersting that the reprimand is for the commetns about the female assistant. They don't seem to say much about him calling his chairman a waste of space. Thats what he was expected to get sacked for lol
Old 16-11-2006, 16:50   #15
Senior Member+

What annoys me the most about all this, is that a manager isn't allowed to voice his/her own opinion. Whether it is right or wrong, or whether you agree with the comments or not, s/he is entitled to their own opinion. I hate how the Football Association try to censor individuals.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..