Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 21:53   #16
God Member

Re: Old Firm

no maybe in the loan business..had a great day at ibrox today and as usual a great reception for our troops 45 commando....YouTube - 45 Commando at Ibrox 5th May 2009 "We Support Our Troops"
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2009, 22:07   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
no maybe in the loan business..had a great day at ibrox today and as usual a great reception for our troops 45 commando....YouTube - 45 Commando at Ibrox 5th May 2009 "We Support Our Troops"
No better cause than that..........I spent a lot of years in the Army and have served with Jocks, Taffs, Micks, Assies, Kiwi's, Ghurkas and others.
The reception that our troops get is well deserved.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:05   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Perhaps Gordon and Alister see their future in oil?
Who the hell would want to paint those two Roy
Old 04-05-2009, 10:07   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
A bit better than what our lads got in Luton a few weeks ago
Old 04-05-2009, 16:51   #20
God Member

Oh great.

Sunderland & Newcastle get relegated and identical replacements are brought in from north of the border
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 18:01   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Oh great.

Sunderland & Newcastle get relegated and identical replacements are brought in from north of the border
Well the Geordies and the Mackems are only Jocks with their brains kicked out.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 20:34   #22
Senior Member+

just read some of the replys to this, obviously quite a few folk dont know what they are talking about..
firstly its not about the cash..rangers and both celtic arent too bad off due to the sponsorhips and fanbase that both clubs can pull in...the names alone are big names round the world - believe it or not.

secondly - this is isnt rangers or celtic touting themselves at all - this is people in england within which ever circle making waves and leaking stuff to the press....because of the names of the old firm they are potential money makers..

and to jaysay - you say our league can be decided before a ball is kicked - how many of the 2 teams in the premiership can win that league - thats right...2! chelsea or man utd ( what again?) nearly a one horse race that league....almost as predictable as ours!!
and you dont have to go about how loonypool or arsenal have a chance - both those clubs will never win that league - it would take a very poor man utd and chelsea for that to happen and it wont, it will always be the same 2 - like it is in scotland.

and why the big hoo ha IF it were to happen - cardiff & swansea play in the english leagues - dont hear anyone say for them to get back to the welsh league..?

this non story crops up every now and again and 10 years ago when it was new news it was exciting - but now - well its boring to be honest..and it wont happen ever too much red tape between fifa and eufa..it would open the floodgates round europe and there too much money would be lost...

I would rather have a british cup of sorts...

Last edited by glasgow guy; 04-05-2009 at 20:41.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:00   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
just read some of the replys to this, obviously quite a few folk dont know what they are talking about..
firstly its not about the cash..rangers and both celtic arent too bad off due to the sponsorhips and fanbase that both clubs can pull in...the names alone are big names round the world - believe it or not.

secondly - this is isnt rangers or celtic touting themselves at all - this is people in england within which ever circle making waves and leaking stuff to the press....because of the names of the old firm they are potential money makers..

and to jaysay - you say our league can be decided before a ball is kicked - how many of the 2 teams in the premiership can win that league - thats right...2! chelsea or man utd ( what again?) nearly a one horse race that league....almost as predictable as ours!!
and you dont have to go about how loonypool or arsenal have a chance - both those clubs will never win that league - it would take a very poor man utd and chelsea for that to happen and it wont, it will always be the same 2 - like it is in scotland.

and why the big hoo ha IF it were to happen - cardiff & swansea play in the english leagues - don't hear anyone say for them to get back to the welsh league..?

this non story crops up every now and again and 10 years ago when it was new news it was exciting - but now - well its boring to be honest..and it wont happen ever too much red tape between fifa and uefa..it would open the floodgates round europe and there too much money would be lost...

I would rather have a british cup of sorts...
Your Arguments don't add up GG, the welsh clubs have been in the English league for many years, well long before I was born. You say its not about the Money, that's the only thing I ever here from anyone at Rangers or Celtic, is what they could do with the TV money if thy were playing in England, you say Liverpool or Arsenal will never win the Prem, your wrong, these things go in cycles, Liverpool were once the top dogs, I think United's Buble will burst when Fergie goes, winning things ain't just about money its about money combined with good coaching, if it were money alone why did the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Spurs not win it, Rovers had that for a short time. Just one final question who was the last team to win the Scottish league and when in fact the leading top division winners in England are Liverpool who will be equalled this year by United 19 each I think, whats the scores on the doors in Scotland
Old 05-05-2009, 14:59   #24
God Member

Shows how much I know about football. I always thought Celtic were the Scottish branch of Manchester United.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 16:13   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Shows how much I know about football. I always thought Celtic were the Scottish branch of Manchester United.
Most United fans are like that with their knowledge of football don't let it worry your, not on your own
Old 05-05-2009, 18:17   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your Arguments don't add up GG, the welsh clubs have been in the English league for many years, well long before I was born. You say its not about the Money, that's the only thing I ever here from anyone at Rangers or Celtic, is what they could do with the TV money if thy were playing in England, you say Liverpool or Arsenal will never win the Prem, your wrong, these things go in cycles, Liverpool were once the top dogs, I think United's Buble will burst when Fergie goes, winning things ain't just about money its about money combined with good coaching, if it were money alone why did the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Spurs not win it, Rovers had that for a short time. Just one final question who was the last team to win the Scottish league and when in fact the leading top division winners in England are Liverpool who will be equalled this year by United 19 each I think, whats the scores on the doors in Scotland

the welsh clubs have been in the English league for many years, well long before I was born.

not asking when you were born - was asking the question as to why welsh clubs play in the english league.

that's the only thing I ever here from anyone at Rangers or Celtic, is what they could do with the TV money if thy were playing in England

I am not talking about tv revenue - I am talking in general - will admit its night and day in comparison to what sky pay england V what setanta pay scotland but thats the big beaks at the sfa for you

you say Liverpool or Arsenal will never win the Prem, your wrong, these things go in cycles, Liverpool were once the top dogs, I think United's Buble will burst when Fergie goes, winning things ain't just about money its about money combined with good coaching, if it were money alone why did the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Spurs not win it,

I am not wrong - liverpool and arsenal dont have and havent had a squad strong enough for the full length of a title challenge for a long time,and dont be so sure about when fergie goes..the youth set up at man utd must be second to none and they will have youth pouring out of there for the next few seasons and then some..and just cos fergie wont be on the bench rest assured he will still have a say in things there and the clubs you mentioned didnt win it cos their squads were not strong enough - or man utds was..

Rovers had that for a short time.

and you won it how many times? once?

Just one final question who was the last team to win the Scottish league and when in fact the leading top division winners in England are Liverpool who will be equalled this year by United 19 each I think, whats the scores on the doors in Scotland

hearts back in the 80's? but one of the reasons no one else has won it since is cos way back both rangers and celtic got their houses in order by way of building new grounds when other scottish clubs were doing well in europe, so when the time came to get the grounds in order both old firm teams could go out, take advantage of the 3 foreigner rule in england and cherry pick players from england which meant everyone else played catch up and have been ever since..dare I say a victom of their own success?

the last part of you question is irrelevant to be honest..

cheers for that..good debate !
Old 05-05-2009, 19:24   #27
God Member

Quote:
Just one final question who was the last team to win the Scottish league
easy answer to that question is Aberdeen (1984 and 1985) ...managed by some bloke called Alex Ferguson!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:41   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
the welsh clubs have been in the English league for many years, well long before I was born.

not asking when you were born - was asking the question as to why welsh clubs play in the english league.

that's the only thing I ever here from anyone at Rangers or Celtic, is what they could do with the TV money if thy were playing in England

I am not talking about tv revenue - I am talking in general - will admit its night and day in comparison to what sky pay england V what setanta pay scotland but thats the big beaks at the sfa for you

you say Liverpool or Arsenal will never win the Prem, your wrong, these things go in cycles, Liverpool were once the top dogs, I think United's Buble will burst when Fergie goes, winning things ain't just about money its about money combined with good coaching, if it were money alone why did the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Spurs not win it,

I am not wrong - liverpool and arsenal dont have and havent had a squad strong enough for the full length of a title challenge for a long time,and don't be so sure about when fergie goes..the youth set up at man utd must be second to none and they will have youth pouring out of there for the next few seasons and then some..and just cos fergie wont be on the bench rest assured he will still have a say in things there and the clubs you mentioned didnt win it cos their squads were not strong enough - or man utds was..

Rovers had that for a short time.

and you won it how many times? once?

Just one final question who was the last team to win the Scottish league and when in fact the leading top division winners in England are Liverpool who will be equalled this year by United 19 each I think, whats the scores on the doors in Scotland

hearts back in the 80's? but one of the reasons no one else has won it since is cos way back both rangers and celtic got their houses in order by way of building new grounds when other scottish clubs were doing well in europe, so when the time came to get the grounds in order both old firm teams could go out, take advantage of the 3 foreigner rule in england and cherry pick players from england which meant everyone else played catch up and have been ever since..dare I say a victom of their own success?

the last part of you question is irrelevant to be honest..

cheers for that..good debate !
Ya GG its good to debate without people getting nasty, I still think that Rangers ad Celtic are drive to play in England because of TV money, I actually watch both Rangers TV and Celtic TV (they're part of the Setanta package) and its clear both clubs have needs for more finance, it was well documented earlier in the season that Rangers were after selling some players to raise money and the fact that they take on players such as Daily( think that's how you spell it)who was well past his sell by date down here years ago, speaks for itself. Another thing that would probably happen if the "Old Firm" played in England would be the total demise of Scottish football in the long term, which I think the authorities over the boarder have recognised. However, Think that a competition involving both English and Scottish would be great, say in place of the League Cup for both Prem divisions, would be interesting spectator wise if nothing else
Old 06-05-2009, 19:15   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ya GG its good to debate without people getting nasty, I still think that Rangers ad Celtic are drive to play in England because of TV money, I actually watch both Rangers TV and Celtic TV (they're part of the Setanta package) and its clear both clubs have needs for more finance, it was well documented earlier in the season that Rangers were after selling some players to raise money and the fact that they take on players such as Daily( think that's how you spell it)who was well past his sell by date down here years ago, speaks for itself. Another thing that would probably happen if the "Old Firm" played in England would be the total demise of Scottish football in the long term, which I think the authorities over the boarder have recognised. However, Think that a competition involving both English and Scottish would be great, say in place of the League Cup for both Prem divisions, would be interesting spectator wise if nothing else
the reason dailly came to rangers was a couple of facts - we needed experienced cover for cuellar who went to villa - dailly was on a free and has plenty of experience - cheap and easy option - and dont think dailly has had it easy - not at all - many a game he has been found out in..
and to be honest mate - rangers tv is total guff - seriously...I hope though you watch the rangers celtic game this weekend - its basically a title decider - and inregards to the demise of scottish football - its a ticking time bomb anyway mate - the way its being run its gonna self destruct - whether the old firm are there or not - the old firm fund scottish football..
I would be happy for both fa's to get together and let both league cups join at the quarter final stages - so your then back to a mix of 8 teams...and do another draw..would be interesting..
and I say that this teams shifting wont happen...there are teams from australasia now playing the chinese(asian) league and last week juventus or someone wants their 'b' team to play in another league...so maybe in years to come something may happen..
Old 07-05-2009, 10:05   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
the reason dailly came to rangers was a couple of facts - we needed experienced cover for cuellar who went to villa - dailly was on a free and has plenty of experience - cheap and easy option - and dont think dailly has had it easy - not at all - many a game he has been found out in..
and to be honest mate - rangers tv is total guff - seriously...I hope though you watch the rangers celtic game this weekend - its basically a title decider - and inregards to the demise of scottish football - its a ticking time bomb anyway mate - the way its being run its gonna self destruct - whether the old firm are there or not - the old firm fund scottish football..
I would be happy for both fa's to get together and let both league cups join at the quarter final stages - so your then back to a mix of 8 teams...and do another draw..would be interesting..
and I say that this teams shifting wont happen...there are teams from australasia now playing the chinese(asian) league and last week juventus or someone wants their 'b' team to play in another league...so maybe in years to come something may happen..
Think the Scottish league would fold if Rangers and Celtic left, it has a chance with them but without them its doomed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..