Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2008, 14:23   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: Play offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They use to do that earlier on JB but scrapped it, anyway at the start of the season all the clubs know what the rules are and are prepared to abide by them, when the Rovers were promoted back in 1991 via the play offs they finished 6th in the old div 2 they beat Leicester who finished 4th I think Derby were in 3rd place who rovers beatin a two leged tie
I don’t remember playoffs for relegation.

When did it happen?
Old 28-05-2008, 14:34   #17
God Member

Re: Play offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I don’t remember playoffs for relegation.

When did it happen?
1986/87 & 1987/1988

In fact Chelsea were relegated from the first division that way.

I believe they also had them in the early days of the football league
Old 28-05-2008, 15:06   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I believe they also had them in the early days of the football league
Quite right, Dave. In 1892-93, Accrington FC finished second from bottom of the league (only one division up to that time). They lost the play-off match to Sheffield United 1-0 and were supposed to go down to the newly-created second division, but resigned as they didn't reckon they'd attract enough interest playing in a lower division.
Old 28-05-2008, 16:14   #19

Yeti Pentathlon Champion!
Cash Beast Champion!

Must admit i'd forgotten about relegation play-offs.I used to hate the play-offs but have to agree they create lots of excitement + money.Still seems wrong though when the team that goes up via play-offs make more money out of home leg +trip to Wembley than the team that has sat at the top all season.
norwich stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 17:44   #20
Resting in Peace

I seem to remember that the 3rd from bottom in the old 1st Div played of against the 3rd from top in the 2nd if I'm totally wrong I'm sure STATO will tell me
Old 28-05-2008, 17:56   #21
God Member

The 2 seasons concerned were the ones they were reducing the number of teams in the 1st division to 20, so in 1987/88 Chelsea finished 4th bottom ( bottom 3 were relegated) . They then played the team who finished 5th in the second division, while the 3rd & 4th placed teams played each other. Thought you would have known that

The team who finished bottom of the 1st division that season were Oxford Utd, turned out to be a long drop from there
Old 28-05-2008, 18:33   #22
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Play offs

Quote:
The 2 seasons concerned were the ones they were reducing the number of teams in the 1st division to 20, so in 1987/88 Chelsea finished 4th bottom ( bottom 3 were relegated) . They then played the team who finished 5th in the second division, while the 3rd & 4th placed teams played each other. Thought you would have known that
So it wasn’t an experiment in real playoffs to see who got relegated but playoffs to aid a reduction in league sizes.

Ooops! Nearly time for the match. Well it will be after I wash up after tea, get a decent brew made and settle down.

England 3 v USA 1
Old 29-05-2008, 10:23   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:

The team who finished bottom of the 1st division that season were Oxford Utd, turned out to be a long drop from there
Alright, alright, dave don't rub it in the Rovers were involved in that play off and lost 6-1 to Chelsea (now Chelski) looked it up last night in the Rovers history book, but couldn't work out why it was forth bottom playing 5 top, now I know
Old 29-05-2008, 10:27   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Alright, alright, dave don't rub it in the Rovers were involved in that play off and lost 6-1 to Chelsea (now Chelski) looked it up last night in the Rovers history book, but couldn't work out why it was forth bottom playing 5 top, now I know
As things stand I don't get too many chances so I have to take any opportunity I can

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..