Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-05-2008, 18:16   #1
Resting in Peace

Play offs

This weekend its the playoffs, who do fancy to get promoted
My three are Hull, Doncaster, and Rochdale
Old 23-05-2008, 20:04   #2
God Member

Re: Play offs

Bristol City, Donnie and Dale for me.

Please God don't let the cheating swines beat Doncaster
Old 24-05-2008, 10:12   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Bristol City, Donnie and Dale for me.

Please God don't let the cheating swines beat Doncaster
Hell dave Burnley and Rovers agreeing for a change

Last edited by jaysay; 24-05-2008 at 10:13. Reason: error
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 15:54   #4
God Member

There is a football god after all ;

Doncaster 1 Cheats 0

Old 25-05-2008, 16:24   #5
God Member

I am loving the fact that lowly Hull City will now be mixing with the big boys

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 16:41   #6
Resting in Peace

Well thats two out of three, come on the Dale make it a hat trick
Old 26-05-2008, 17:19   #7
Resting in Peace

I've watch all three play off finals and todays game between Rochdale and Stockport was the best of the lot for entertainment skill and endever, Stockport just piped the Dale, but what a good game, lets just hope its Stanley next year
Old 26-05-2008, 17:25   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've watch all three play off finals and todays game between Rochdale and Stockport was the best of the lot for entertainment skill and endever, Stockport just piped the Dale, but what a good game, lets just hope its Stanley next year
...so if it is, are you going to come down to Wembley with us, circumstances permitting?
Old 27-05-2008, 10:16   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...so if it is, are you going to come down to Wembley with us, circumstances permitting?
No problem, if you'll lug those portable tanks that I'll need steve
Old 27-05-2008, 12:41   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No problem, if you'll lug those portable tanks that I'll need steve
In that case, John, I think we'll stick to the Stop & Rest!
Old 27-05-2008, 14:19   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Play offs

Hull ended up as third in their league, as did Doncaster and Stockport were fourth in their league, so justice was done in that without the playoffs all three would have been promoted anyway.

But what if Hull had NOT won the playoffs? What if Doncaster NOT had won the playoffs? What if Stockport NOT had won the playoffs? They would all have been gutted.

Having played all season and reaching third or fourth place, to enter into a playoff competition is a farce. OK! So it brings in extra revenue and does create some excitement but only if the third or fourth placed team wins through.

But there is another anomaly. If we have playoffs for promotion and I cannot see the Football League abandoning them, we should also have playoffs for relegation.

Take the Championship as an example.

Colchester, Scunthorpe and Leicester all got relegated after playing all season.

What should really happen is that Leicester, Coventry, Southampton and Blackpool should take part in a playoff to see which team out of the four is relegated to accompany Colchester and Scunthorpe.

Leicester would play Blackpool and the loser goes on to play in the final.
Coventry would play Southampton and the loser goes on to play in the final.
Then the loser of the final is relegated.

It’s not rocket science and it would be as fair as the promotion playoffs, generate extra interest and revenue.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:02   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
In that case, John, I think we'll stick to the Stop & Rest!
Seems like a good idea to me, maybe we can get um to play on the car park
Old 28-05-2008, 10:09   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Hull ended up as third in their league, as did Doncaster and Stockport were fourth in their league, so justice was done in that without the playoffs all three would have been promoted anyway.

But what if Hull had NOT won the playoffs? What if Doncaster NOT had won the playoffs? What if Stockport NOT had won the playoffs? They would all have been gutted.

Having played all season and reaching third or fourth place, to enter into a playoff competition is a farce. OK! So it brings in extra revenue and does create some excitement but only if the third or fourth placed team wins through.

But there is another anomaly. If we have playoffs for promotion and I cannot see the Football League abandoning them, we should also have playoffs for relegation.

Take the Championship as an example.

Colchester, Scunthorpe and Leicester all got relegated after playing all season.

What should really happen is that Leicester, Coventry, Southampton and Blackpool should take part in a playoff to see which team out of the four is relegated to accompany Colchester and Scunthorpe.

Leicester would play Blackpool and the loser goes on to play in the final.
Coventry would play Southampton and the loser goes on to play in the final.
Then the loser of the final is relegated.

It’s not rocket science and it would be as fair as the promotion playoffs, generate extra interest and revenue.
They use to do that earlier on JB but scrapped it, anyway at the start of the season all the clubs know what the rules are and are prepared to abide by them, when the Rovers were promoted back in 1991 via the play offs they finished 6th in the old div 2 they beat Leicester who finished 4th I think Derby were in 3rd place who rovers beatin a two leged tie
Old 28-05-2008, 10:25   #14
God Member

The last time Burnley won in the play offs they finished in 6th place, 12 points behind the teams finishing 3rd and 4th. They beat both teams to go up, ironically one of those teams was Stockport

I think it was last season or the season before there was even a suggestion from many football chairman that the play offs be extended to the 8 places below the automatic promotion places. They might as well have had a knock out competition at the start of the season if that had gone ahead.
Old 28-05-2008, 10:52   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The last time Burnley won in the play offs they finished in 6th place, 12 points behind the teams finishing 3rd and 4th. They beat both teams to go up, ironically one of those teams was Stockport

I think it was last season or the season before there was even a suggestion from many football chairman that the play offs be extended to the 8 places below the automatic promotion places. They might as well have had a knock out competition at the start of the season if that had gone ahead.
And Burnley still wouldn't have been there dave

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..