Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2004, 21:55   #1
Resident Waffler

Racist Rovers Fan?

I've just watched the footage on the news and to me it didn't look like someone doing a "monkey" but simply an excited gesture which many people do - elbows bent, fist tightly clenched and a sort of "yes!" and rapid up and down movements of the fist/arms. I do it myself if I've finally succeeded in something I've been trying hard to do - and similar situations.

The fan maybe did get angry with Dwight Yorke afterwards for being accused of racism if he wasn't being racist.

I suppose it will all come out in the wash, but what does anyone else think on first seeing? Would you have thought it was a racist act?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-11-2004, 22:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Racist Rovers Fan?

When watching it I thought it definately was a 'monkey' gesture but now you have said that Willow I'd have to watch it again, closer, to see what your saying.

Could be a possibilty though......
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2004, 22:14   #3
Resident Waffler

If it was a monkey then it needs to be nipped in the bud but if it was an innocent gesture of an excited fan maybe it was just misinterpreted after all the trouble recently in Spain.

Oddly enough when Dwight Yorke was illustrating what he saw it looked more like a move from the birdie dance.

Old 23-11-2004, 16:42   #4
I am Banned

disgraceful rovers should be punnished
Fearon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2004, 16:48   #5
Resident Waffler

Hang on a minute. We are talking about one person, one fan (or possibly two), not the football team or all the fans. Rovers (the team or the club)is not responsible for the actions of the fans and as far as I can gather if this one fan does turn out to have been doing a monkey gesture then he will be punished, which is correct as he is the only one deserving of punishment (if guilty).

Old 23-11-2004, 22:24   #6
I am Banned

ye but he is a rovers fan, rovers need to take full responsibility of what thier fans are doing
Old 23-11-2004, 22:25   #7
Resident Waffler

Well two people come up before Blackburn magistrates tomorrow. Let's see what the outcome is. I was rather hoping it would be shown again on TV so I could get a better look, but all it showed was DW's birdie impression.

Sadly there seems to have been more racism in Spain today.

Old 23-11-2004, 22:52   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearon1
ye but he is a rovers fan, rovers need to take full responsibility of what thier fans are doing
I can understand what you are saying but how do you suggest they do it?

It's a serious question.

If the allegations are proved true then I can see that the club could ban them from the ground from now on.

But how can a club take responsibility for the actions of fans?

I'm thinking now in terms of myself as a theatre goer. I will be visiting a theatre in December. If I verbally abuse one of the performers that night would the theatre owners be responsible for my actions?

How can any club prevent the possibility of someone going to see a match and being abusive towards a player from the opposing team?

Old 23-11-2004, 23:21   #9
Senior Member+

There is no way actions of that nature can be controlled or policed.

The only action that can be taken is if that person is banned from attending a few matches.

The problem seems to be continuing though - wasn't another player jeered the other day when he came on as a sub, or am I thinking of the same game?
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 17:34   #10
I am Banned

the people who are out of order should get a ban, simple as.
Old 24-11-2004, 17:46   #11
I am Band

Just heard on the news earlier this afternoon; one Rovers fan has been given a five year ban from football grounds and a £1,000 fine. The other fan has denied the allegation. Presumably this will be taken to a higher court if further evidence is forthcoming.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 18:49   #12
Resident Waffler

Maybe the one who denied it is the one I saw who didn't look as if he was doing it.

Perhaps they didn't show the full footage the first time. They certainly didn't the second time. They showed even less.

If any fan really did insult a player with a racist gesture then he deserves the five year ban and £1,000 fine. Perhaps that will deter others.

Of course it doesn't stop the mentality that produces such gestures.

Old 24-11-2004, 19:16   #13
Senior Member+

The fan has now admitted it was a racist gesture......
Old 24-11-2004, 19:20   #14
Resident Waffler

Is that the banned fan or the non-banned fan?

Old 24-11-2004, 19:49   #15
Senior Member+

Both I think......

I'll double check

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..