Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2008, 16:37   #16
God Member

Re: ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
We are all entitled to voice our own opinion even if you don’t agree with it.

My father survived TWO WORLD WARS, which eventually killed him in his early fifties, to grant us that right.

So back off!

By the way I support Manchester United and have done since before Munich.
I think it's abit strong to start going on about World Wars and the right to free speech in a football forum...I'm pretty sure your Dad didn't suffer the rigors of War just for the sake of Accy Web !
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2008, 19:26   #17
God Member

Quote:
There is no doubt that Ronaldo is mentally sharp, very, very sharp but Man U would have had the Premier League sown up long before the end but for his selfish, “I’ll win this match on my own” attitude.

He lost United as many games as he won for them during the last two seasons.

However this last season he has become more of a team player than he used to be. Now if only he would stop trying to cheat. Stopping for as long as he did whilst taking that penalty was blatant cheating and the ref let him get away with it. So it was poetic justice that his shot was saved.

Ronaldo is good enough not to try to cheat his way through a match.

He can’t even claim to be the person who introduced the ‘step over’. In a not too distant documentary about the FA cup it showed one winger doing a step over back in the fifties.

Finally, I think that Stanley Matthews was a better winger than Ronaldo.
For a start Sir Matthews may have been the best winger in his period.. but he would not have a chance in the modern game.. not enough pace, only average at passing and shooting.
I did say in an earlier post that the main reason for myself supporting United was the exciting way they play..and Ronaldo sums that up,thank God your not the Manager ,I suspect it would be boring stuff!
Old 28-05-2008, 22:39   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: ronaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
For a start Sir Matthews may have been the best winger in his period.. but he would not have a chance in the modern game.. not enough pace, only average at passing and shooting.
I did say in an earlier post that the main reason for myself supporting United was the exciting way they play..and Ronaldo sums that up,thank God your not the Manager ,I suspect it would be boring stuff!
You’re wrong there, Matthews in his prime would have had the beating of most if not all full backs in today’s game. His physical fitness was legendary. It had to be to be able to hold down a place in the then first division at 50 years of age (1965).

And Ronaldo wouldn’t have had a prayer in Matthews’ day. Not with the hard tackling, shoulder charges and a ball that weighed a ton when wet. It was no lightweight when dry either.

So you saw Matthews play did you? Was that in a previous life? Or was that when Stanley Matthews played as a guest for Manchester United?

Couldn’t pass or shoot?

Ask Stanley Mortensen, or any of the great England forwards of the day, if Matthews couldn’t pass. The reason why Mortensen scored so many goals for Blackpool and England was the accuracy of Matthews’ centres.

11 goals for England including a hat-trick seems to say he can shoot. In spite of being a goal maker he still managed to score 71 goals.

Better still have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Matthews

I don’t care who you support but you were totally out of order telling people not to comment unless they supported Man U.
Old 28-05-2008, 22:48   #19
God Member

Quote:
You’re wrong there, Matthews in his prime would have had the beating of most if not all full backs in today’s game. His physical fitness was legendary. It had to be to be able to hold down a place in the then first division at 50 years of age (1965).

And Ronaldo wouldn’t have had a prayer in Matthews’ day. Not with the hard tackling, shoulder charges and a ball that weighed a ton when wet. It was no lightweight when dry either.

So you saw Matthews play did you? Was that in a previous life? Or was that when Stanley Matthews played as a guest for Manchester United?

Couldn’t pass or shoot?

Ask Stanley Mortensen, or any of the great England forwards of the day, if Matthews couldn’t pass. The reason why Mortensen scored so many goals for Blackpool and England was the accuracy of Matthews’ centres.

11 goals for England including a hat-trick seems to say he can shoot. In spite of being a goal maker he still managed to score 71 goals.

Better still have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Matthews

I don’t care who you support but you were totally out of order telling people not to comment unless they supported Man U.
You did get my goat up Jambutty... what you were saying was that Ronaldo should not be in the team, and that he delayed United's winning of the EPL.. that is total rubbish.
Like most fans I have only seen Sir Stan in old footage, and so I may well be wrong , I never doubted his talent and ability in the 1950's .. but in todays game he would not be a factor.
Old 29-05-2008, 07:30   #20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Let's get things clear.. I was born in Blackburn, I was going to Rovers with my Dad when I was 5yrs old.
Moved to Ossie.. still going to Rovers.
Moved to Accy ..the friends I made were Burnley so I went to Turf moor loads of times.
First went to Old Trafford around 1977.. it was the first time I had experienced the Streford end, massive crowd and exciting football and I fell in love...at that time Man Utd were not winning league titles and European cups.
Don't try to make out I'm a "glory hunter" my son
Three different clubs in thirty-odd years. Bandwagon jumper!
Old 29-05-2008, 10:05   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Three different clubs in thirty-odd years. Bandwagon jumper!
Not like thee and me Wynonie I'm a Rover with over 50 years in, and your a Stanley with ^@>? years in
Old 29-05-2008, 10:18   #22
Super Moderator

48 years (apart from the bit in the middle when there was no Stanley to support!).
Old 29-05-2008, 13:47   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
You did get my goat up Jambutty... what you were saying was that Ronaldo should not be in the team, and that he delayed United's winning of the EPL.. that is total rubbish.
Like most fans I have only seen Sir Stan in old footage, and so I may well be wrong , I never doubted his talent and ability in the 1950's .. but in todays game he would not be a factor.
I never stated that Ronaldo shouldn’t be in the team. Kindly don’t put words in my mouth.

The only total rubbish is your inability to read and understand what I wrote.

During the course of last season Man U lost 6 matches, many by the odd goal and drew 5. In some of those matches Ronaldo’s selfish desire to win the match or draw it by scoring an almost impossible goal rather than passing the ball to another player with a better chance of scoring cost United the game.

His arrogant and selfish attitude has been much less prevalent last season than the season before and hopefully will be a more complete team player next season.

On the other hand Ronaldo’s goal against Aston Villa, I think it was, was pure genius and lightning fast thinking. That one where he flicked the ball with his right heel to nutmeg a defender and score. It was featured in BBC’s Goal of the Season and in my opinion should win it, more so than his other entry – that free kick into the top corner. Then there was that other goal (I can’t remember which match it was) where the ball arrived at thigh height and he just thighed it into the net. Again another spontaneous reaction to an almost impossible situation.

Apart from his super fast reactions Ronaldo only has his speed of foot and the ubiquitous ‘step overs’. Stanley Matthews would leave the defender wrong footed and more often than not sat on the deck as he ghosted past to present yet another near perfect cross into the box. Stanley Matthews didn’t need speed of foot (although he was plenty fast enough to outstrip most defenders) to get past a defender, he had the skill and guile to leave the man standing even at the age of 50.

Not a factor in today’s game? Get real! Players of Matthews’ calibre would hold their own in any era.
Old 29-05-2008, 14:10   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

must agree Mathews would get in any team today, but yer missing the best of em all IMHO, Finney, he was even played out of natural position fer the national side to accomodate Mathews, could play great in other positions.
Old 29-05-2008, 14:38   #25
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
must agree Mathews would get in any team today, but yer missing the best of em all IMHO, Finney, he was even played out of natural position fer the national side to accomodate Mathews, could play great in other positions.
I’ll go along with Tom Finney being one of the greats. It’s a moot point who was best.

Don’t forget that in those days players played for the love of the game and all had full time jobs outside of football. With a maximum wage of £20, but only during the football season, so they had to. If you lived in Preston and wanted a plumber it could easily have been Tom Finney who attended.

There were no ‘prima donnas’. In fact the ‘stars’ of the day would travel on the same bus as the supporters to a match.
Old 30-05-2008, 21:14   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
48 years (apart from the bit in the middle when there was no Stanley to support!).
Ah! now that explains things, 48yrs of watching Accrington Stanley must eventually take some effect.. but you have my admiration, I reckon you could stand up to even the most evil torture mankind has ever designed!
Old 30-05-2008, 21:23   #27
God Member

Quote:
There is no doubt that Ronaldo is mentally sharp, very, very sharp but Man U would have had the Premier League sown up long before the end but for his selfish, “I’ll win this match on my own” attitude.

He lost United as many games as he won for them during the last two seasons.
I can't have this.. I have edited your original post Jambutty.. but these first lines tell me you are saying Ronaldo has been a liability over the last two seasons... now I would take that as saying he should not have been in the team, if a player is, as you say, is making the team lose as many games than win.. then he should not be playing in the team.. yes?
I did see a program on the 1957 FA cup final which compared todays game with the 50's.. the only bad tackles I saw were on the goalkeepers, I got the impression that the game was more gentlemanly in those days, the really hard tackling came about in the early 70's

Last edited by Mancie; 30-05-2008 at 21:30.
Old 31-05-2008, 08:57   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ah! now that explains things, 48yrs of watching Accrington Stanley must eventually take some effect.. but you have my admiration, I reckon you could stand up to even the most evil torture mankind has ever designed!
I know, I know, supporting my hometown club, eh?...sheer madness and a concept which is totally alien to most Man U fans!
Old 31-05-2008, 12:59   #29
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
I can't have this.. I have edited your original post Jambutty.. but these first lines tell me you are saying Ronaldo has been a liability over the last two seasons... now I would take that as saying he should not have been in the team, if a player is, as you say, is making the team lose as many games than win.. then he should not be playing in the team.. yes?
I did see a program on the 1957 FA cup final which compared todays game with the 50's.. the only bad tackles I saw were on the goalkeepers, I got the impression that the game was more gentlemanly in those days, the really hard tackling came about in the early 70's
Oooo! I am sorry! I wasn’t aware that I was supposed to bow to your opinion just because you “can’t have this”. Get real!

Once again in your arrogant conceit you are putting words in my mouth. I never stated that Ronaldo has been a liability these last two seasons.

You do know how to read and understand English I presume, although that point is in serious doubt.

I would remind you yet again that we are all entitled to voice our own opinions. If you don’t like them then the solution is simple – don’t read them.

The so called bad tackles that you saw were within the rules of the day and were deemed to be fair. The reason they were changed is because goalkeepers were a standing or advancing target, making a collision more dangerous for the goalkeeper. Although some forwards came out of a collision knowing full well that they had been in one. Today, when a goalkeeper jumps to catch or punch a ball he does so with one leg raised, presumably to try and protect himself.

But you are right, back in the fifties the players played to the rules but they still played hard. Free kicks and throw ins were taken from the spot the offence took place not some distance nearer the opposing goal. Players didn’t feign injury or try to get someone sent off. No one argued with the ref except possibly the team captain with a polite enquiry. No one mouthed obscenities at the officials and they certainly didn’t spend half the time spitting.
Old 31-05-2008, 13:16   #30
God Member

To get back on thread, I dont think man u should let ronaldo go for another season at least, he is now coming into his own as a team player as well as a world class player in his own right, I have a feeling that united are looking reliant on one player again, but nobody thought united could get by without cantona, beckham and others, but they always managed, fergie has the next ronaldo lined up already, and when the time is right, he will introduce the replacements and let the 'stars' go, regardless of who they are.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..