Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Rovers attendance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
No, he's not, he's an Everton fan!
Dingle Everton they're both the same
Old 17-09-2012, 10:43   #32

Stanley have the same problem they always had. They are sandwiched between Rovers and Burnley and nothing will change that. I do go to Stanley occasionally (not as much as I would like) but I think that too much of their support is like me (Burnley or Rovers fans on a day off). It is a shame because they have come back from the dead and local people should be proud of them but old habits are hard to break, especially where football is concerned.
The one thing I do like when I go there is the atmosphere. I'm whisked back to the days when football was a working man's game. Basic facilities, cold and people not eating prawn sandwiches with their champagne.
Long live the likes of Stanley, they are real football, not premiere league hype and prima donnas on telephone number wages.
Old 17-09-2012, 11:07   #33
Senior Member+

it doesnt help, when a season ticket at rovers is cheaper than stanley, burnley not much more.

loyalties are loyalties, but with waining crowds all round (ok the rovers thing is part in protest, i was at the last home game, at rovers, and official figures just short of 14 thousand, and for most of match it was like an away game), bums on seats are harder to come by, and what are the clubs doing to get the "waverer" like me there.

i have to admit i was only at rovers game, because i had free tickets for players lounge,as as a guest of Bruno, he is mate of a mate
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 14:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
it doesnt help, when a season ticket at rovers is cheaper than stanley, burnley not much more.

loyalties are loyalties, but with waining crowds all round (ok the rovers thing is part in protest, i was at the last home game, at rovers, and official figures just short of 14 thousand, and for most of match it was like an away game), bums on seats are harder to come by, and what are the clubs doing to get the "waverer" like me there.

i have to admit i was only at rovers game, because i had free tickets for players lounge,as as a guest of Bruno, he is mate of a mate
Rovers attendances were always going to fall considerably after relegation, quite apart from the protest. Every team, maybe with the exception of Man Utd back in the seventies, suffers a considerable fall. Firstly there are the fairweather fans (all clubs have them). They are the ones who have swallowed the premiere league hype about it being the "best league in the world" (questionable when you look at the quality in Spain and the attendances in Germany). They are the "fans" who feel it is somehow below them to "support" a non-prem team. They are not really supporters at all, just glory hunters. Secondly there is the inevitable drop in visiting support: it's a little bit different having 5/6,000 visiting fans from United, City Chelsea etc. and playing Brighton, Peterborough or Doncaster on a cold midweek.
I doubt if Rovers will touch anywhere near 20,000 this season apart the odd big game (Burnley, Bolton or one of the big midlands clubs if they are doing well).
The Championship boasts good attendances (last I looked the 5th or 6th best supported league in Europe), good quality football and far more competition than the premiership could ever offer (3 or 4 teams looking at the championship with the rest just happy to avoid relegation).
Rovers fans should get used to it in the second tier - it's all you've got for a while, and not many relegated teams go straight back up (a few fall straight through).
Old 17-09-2012, 18:10   #35
Resting in Peace

See the Dingles were down to 10,000 at weekend
Old 17-09-2012, 18:15   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Probably was only half of that,the extra digits make counting hard work.
Old 17-09-2012, 22:15   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
The one thing I do like when I go there is the atmosphere. I'm whisked back to the days when football was a working man's game. Basic facilities, cold and people not eating prawn sandwiches with their champagne.
Long live the likes of Stanley, they are real football, not premiere league hype and prima donnas on telephone number wages.
Well exactly, so it's about time you started coming along a bit more. We even play our matches when your lot are away, so you've no excuse. Versus Aldershot on Saturday, it'll be a good match, so let's be 'avin' yer!
Old 18-09-2012, 06:10   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Well exactly, so it's about time you started coming along a bit more. We even play our matches when your lot are away, so you've no excuse. Versus Aldershot on Saturday, it'll be a good match, so let's be 'avin' yer!
yep even get yeh a drink in oaklea pre-match.
Old 18-09-2012, 08:56   #39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Now then, a drink from Cashy, followed by a match at Stanley. Saturdays don't get better than that!
Old 18-09-2012, 08:57   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bribery will get you everywhere
Old 18-09-2012, 09:26   #41

Quote:
Come on Jay, it was nearly 11,000 and there were only about 5 Posh fans there. Give us a break.
Old 18-09-2012, 09:31   #42

Quote:
Honestly I couldn't agree with you more but I can't even afford to go to every Burnley game, let alone extras at Stanley. I consider myself a bit of a Stanley fan but historically I'm Claret (I was only very young when the original Stanley went under) and, as I said, loyalties tend to stay with real fans. I will go occasionally I promise, but my team must come first.
Old 18-09-2012, 09:48   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Come on Jay, it was nearly 11,000 and there were only about 5 Posh fans there. Give us a break.
Ya but ya started of with over 14,000 three defeats and plenty of no shows,
Old 18-09-2012, 09:59   #44

Quote:
Ya but ya started of with over 14,000 three defeats and plenty of no shows,
Actually we started with over 18,000.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..