Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2004, 08:49   #1

Rovers ready for 04/05

Well it looks like rovers are ready with the 3 signings they set out to get; de pedro, dickov and matteo all ready and signed.

We can only wait to see if todd and yorke will leave, hopefully yorke will.

I think a top 10 place is the order as long as we keep injury free unlike last season.

My predicted XI

friedel
neil, amoruso, matteo, gray
thommo, emerton, ferguson, de pedro
stead, cole.

What are your thoughts?
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2004, 11:48   #2

Re: Rovers ready for 04/05

My thoughts? Souness to fall out with every single one of the first team and play youth team players for entire season.....

Seriously I think Matteo is a decent signing, don't know much about de Pedro although Souness's record of foreign signings isn't impressive (Grabbi anyone?), Dickov is getting on a bit though isn't he? Best of luck, sincerely.

One serious prediction that will come true though - 1,500 Stanley fans to make more noise in an open terrace than 20,000 Rovers fans in the morgue they call Ewood.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:00   #3

I wasnt sure about dickov dont think he will get many chances in the first team, dont know anything about de pedro but heard good things about him.

Maybe you will make more noice on a terrace because thats were singers congregate, just like when rovers play away thats when rovers make noise.
Old 09-07-2004, 18:59   #4

Fair play to the Rovers away contingent then. It's just that every time I've been to Ewood it is deathly quiet - a view shared by many other visiting fans! I know that the Blackburn end try their best but the majority are so lame. A more intimidating atmosphere could really benefit the team.....which is why Stanley need a roof on the Clayton end!
Old 11-07-2004, 00:16   #5
Senior Member+

Souness to blame everyone for the poor start then threaten to leave, struggle in the bottom 6, yeah they are ready for the season.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:31   #6

Does anyone know what's happened to Flitcroft? I heard he wanted to leave because of being stripped of the captains arm band but I don't know if he's left yet.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53   #7

No he hasnt left, but may do, barry ferguson is now captain, which should be good considering he is the captain of his country and was captain at rangers.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:19   #8
Super Moderator

Personally, I hope that Blackburn - and Burnley - are both relegated. Then, hopefully, more Accringtonians will actually start giving their hometown club the support they so richly deserve.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 16:28   #9

Ive heard Andy Coles on his way to fulham after a fall out with Souness lol. So it could mean Dickov gets a first team place and Blackburn are on the verge of signing Diego Maradonna!!!
p.s this is the real maradonnas son so dont get your hopes up!!! lol
matthewm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 18:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Personally, I hope that Blackburn - and Burnley - are both relegated. Then, hopefully, more Accringtonians will actually start giving their hometown club the support they so richly deserve.

I think accrington has good support for a town of 32,000.
Old 13-07-2004, 07:39   #11
Super Moderator

Aldershot has a similar population and attracts much better support. The problem is Accringtonians who, for reasons best known to themselves, pledge their allegiance to a football team in a town they have absolutely no connection with, while ignoring their home town team. This whole thread is a prime example of that - why bother talking about Blackburn Rovers on an Accrington site?
Old 13-07-2004, 09:34   #12
God Member

I went to the playoff final between Aldershot and Shrewsbury... One thought that struck me looking around at the thousands of fans almost filling Stoke city brittania stadium was...... If Accy made it the the final.. even on a good day with everyone bringing there family and friends.... We probably couldn't have filled half a stand. It was a sobering though and not a nice one.
Old 13-07-2004, 12:39   #13
Super Moderator

...which is why it's a brave decision by Eric to go fulltime and provide the funds for Coley's ambitious and imaginative signings...with more to come! I only hope this vision is rewarded with a few more "casual" fans turning up next season.
Old 13-07-2004, 13:22   #14
Senior Member+

The reason could be that Accy didnt have a club for a long time and then it took years to get some success so fathers and sons would look elsewhere, does everyone on this board shop in Accy town center or do they go to Blackburn or Burnley or even Manchester, Preston etc? If you ask them why they would say it was better, you need to put a product on the field and have success then the fans will come in droves like the cup run last year.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2004, 13:58   #15
Super Moderator

The worrying thing is that the cup run and the high league placing didn't bring them in in droves in the long run last season. League gates which started around the 2,000 mark at the beginning of the season had dropped to just over 1,000 by the end. It's to be hoped that the club's progressive approach will bring more fans in this season. And as for their shopping habits...well supporting your hometown football club is a bit different to buying a tin of beans. It should be in your heart and soul!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..