Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 08:29   #76
God Member

Re: Rovers standard of play

They're boring alright.....but that would'nt be to bad if they managed to win some silver for the mantlepiece occaisionally. They're just a bunch of all-round failures. And I just cannot understand the logic of rewarding failure with an extended contract & a pay increase for Erikson.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-04-2004, 23:45   #77

So its not just me. Thanks!
AnthonyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 16:16   #78
Senior Member+

Just watched the game on e ticket from the Liverpool site this may explain how bad Rovers were.
NEWS STORYHESKEY INSPIRES REDS TO 4-NIL ROUT
Paul Rogers 04 April 2004 Two strikes for Michael Owen and an own goal from Andy Todd inside 23 minutes ensured Liverpool's Champions League hopes remain firmly in their own hands. Emile Heskey grabbed a fourth late on to complete the rout. With Newcastle putting four past Everton on Saturday to move into fourth place overnight, a victory today was nothing less than vital. That the match was effectively over as a contest after 23 minutes helped explain Blackburn's position in the table. Of all the teams to visit Anfield this season in the Premiership, only Portsmouth have looked a worse side than this one currently managed by Graeme Souness.

That's not to say that Liverpool didn't deserve their lead. They did and despite El-Hadji Diouf setting up Owen's second (Liverpool's third) and seeing his own cross turned in by Andy Todd, it was Emile Heskey who deserved most of the praise for Liverpool's sensational start to the match.

Heskey was quite brilliant in the first-half. His control and first touch were exceptional, his unselfish play set Owen up on more than one occasion and he was unlucky not to score himself early on when he struck a shot just over the bar from outside the area.

The Reds took the lead after six minutes when Harry Kewell found Heskey who in turn set up Owen to drill the ball home past Friedel. Todd then put the ball into the back of his own net as he attempted to cut out a cross from Diouf.

The third goal was the best of the lot though. Diouf played Owen through in space and the Reds striker smashed the ball on the run past Friedel in the Blackburn goal. It was vintage Owen and demonstrated just what we were missing last week against Leicester City.

Liverpool's fourth saw Milan Baros, on for Michael Owen, tee Heskey up after 78 minutes with only Friedel to beat. Beat him he did with a low strike to cap a memorable afternoon and a Man of the Match display.

Final score: Liverpool 4 - 0 Blackburn

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 18:09   #79

What a bad game. Rovers were dismal!
Old 04-04-2004, 19:14   #80
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

It was a good game from my point of view, I was disappointed that it was only 4-0 it should have been 10-0 no joking I was there. Unless Rovers improve they will be playing Burnley next season which would be a shame because if we played them every week we would be champions.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 20:29   #81

I still have faith in them to turn things round. I dont think we will be playing burnley anyway, cos they are gettin relegated themselves .
Old 05-04-2004, 07:08   #82
Senior Member+

Bye Bye Graeme it was nice knowing you is all i can say
Old 05-04-2004, 14:52   #83
Senior Member+

If Souness lives up to his usual way of doing things he will have got rid of all the players who argue with him or dont see it his way, taken the team to the brink of finals, blamed everybody except himself, then will leave saying the supporters put pressure on the board or the players dont respect him. Sounds familiar, it should Liverpool were with out doubt the best team in Europe when he took over and are still trying to recover from his years of miss management.

Old 05-04-2004, 19:57   #84
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I can't agree with you Bazf, Liverpool were already on the way down when Souness took over he just took us even further down which will never be forgotten. I agree that Souness is one of those people who will blame anyone but himself and until he accepts that some of his signing are not fit to wear a Blackburn shirt there is no hope. Personally I would love Rovers to go down along with Leeds as my life would a lot quieter not having to listen to rubbish I've had to listen to for the past few years.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:18   #85

Angry Re: Rovers standard of play

If we lose against leeds today, we deserve to go down!
Old 10-04-2004, 16:08   #86
Senior Member+

Just looked at skynews, lost1-2 to leeds cant say Im sorry to here that, Mr Bagpuss the nice thing about Liverpool supporters is that they can agree to disagree and I think your stand for souness is great but a quote from Liverpoolfc.tv

"However his time as manager at the club has become synonymous with mistakes, ill-judged media representation, poor transfer decisions and falling standards on the pitcIn other respects as Souness himself reflected in December 1999 "in the right place at the wrong time". He explains: "What has happened since has gone to prove that I was not to blame for all the ills...my problem was that I tried to change it too quickly." He admits that he was shocked to the core by a change in the attitude amongst his squad and that this led to rapid hiring and firing as he sought to remove players who despite ability, offended this dedicated professional: "I found the change of mood in the dressing room both startling and alarming. How could standards have slipped so badly?".
Souness is an intelligent, articulate and highly motivated man, he was an awesome captain for the club and gave his all to the job as manager. Sadly his memory is still tarnished, but perhaps in time his faults will be forgiven and his valuable F A Cup win given the appreciation it is deserved.

Old 10-04-2004, 16:25   #87

Angry Re: Rovers standard of play

Now we deserve to go down. 2-1 against Leeds.
Old 10-04-2004, 16:46   #88
Senior Member+

cant wait for bburn to go down
AccyStanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 17:25   #89
God Member

Souness stays beyond 7pm tonight = Rovers go down. This is a fundamental truth.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 19:41   #90
Senior Member+

14 Tottenham Hotspur32114174151-10 37
15 Manchester City32712134546-1 33
16 Blackburn Rovers3287174354-11 31
17 Portsmouth3187163346-13 31
18rLeeds United3287173463-29 31
19rLeicester City32513144157-16 28
20rWolverhampton Wanderers32510173069-39 25

19 Burnley401114155467-13 47
20 Rotherham United411113174456-12 46
21 Gillingham41128214059-19 44
22rDerby County411013184362-19 43
23rBradford City41106253458-24 36
24rWimbledon4064303480-46 22

How about a prediction league for these Relegation battles.

Last edited by Bazf; 10-04-2004 at 19:51.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..