Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 22:12   #16

Re: The Future Of English Football

Seems like Fabio didn't learn any lessons in South Afrika, back to the same old same old.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2010, 05:11   #17
Senior Member+

Nothing against Coleman - just a couple of questions for you -
Do you seriously think he has the experience to be an International Manager?
I agree that he probably could not do worse than the last 2 or 3 incumbents - but where would that leave Stanley if he left?
Give us the benefit of your knowledge, name your ideal English Manager.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

fer me Rednapp would be the choice.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Seems like Fabio didn't learn any lessons in South Afrika, back to the same old same old.
Don't remember Davies being in South Africa, but hey Davie can't be any worse than Heskey
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't remember Davies being in South Africa, but hey Davie can't be any worse than Heskey
Oh he is mate makes heskey look like george best. plus he is the premiership player who has conceded most fouls.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh he is mate makes heskey look like george best. plus he is the premiership player who has conceded most fouls.
He's total persecuted by refs cashy, he's a marked man because Arsole Whinger doesn't like him
Old 08-10-2010, 17:57   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Nothing against Coleman - just a couple of questions for you -
Do you seriously think he has the experience to be an International Manager?
I agree that he probably could not do worse than the last 2 or 3 incumbents - but where would that leave Stanley if he left?
Give us the benefit of your knowledge, name your ideal English Manager.
Not at all. Never suggested so.

However if you'll allow it, I would like to turn the question around. Do you think that any manager in the upper reaches of the Premier League could do the job that John Coleman does down here in the basement?

Personally, I seriously doubt it, with the main reason being the reliance upon backroom staff that is not available for lower league clubs. Whether it be a comprehensive worldwide scouting network, the best sports psychologists or the world's best tea lady; this luxury undoubtedly takes a lot of weight from the shoulders of managers in the Premier League. Allardyce has been well known for his reliance upon his backroom staff since the Bolton days. I would wager that even S'r-Alex would struggle without his non-playing troops.

I'm not saying for one minute that John Coleman is in the same caliber as Ferguson or any of the top level managers (yet). However, I do think that people are often too quick to shrug off the talents of English managers in the Football League when thinking of options for a 'good enough home-grown manager'. For me, it isn't totally inconceivable that Coleman or one of his peers in the lower leagues be mentioned in one of the next rounds of contenders for the national job in around ten years' time.

shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 21:59   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Not even Redknapp? Really? He's first choice as next England manager in my book.

p.s. You missed John Coleman from your list; the longest serving English manager in the Football League, who has improved on the previous campaign's finish eleven seasons in a row. A feat achieved by no other on your list.
Regarding Redknapp - maybe, but perhaps there is still something of a ckloud hanging over him - Remember he is so faithfull to his club. Left Pompey for the opposition, Southampton, said it was a fantastic move and less than a season later and Southampton on the slippery slope, back to Pompey. Then leave Pompey for Spurs, with Pompey on the edge of the precipice, saying this was the only club he ever wanted to manage. I think he said that before about West Ham?
It would seem that there are perthaps a skeleton or so in his cupboard.
As regards managers from lower league clubs - not at this time. They do need to have some experience of international football - either as a manager of a top league club, foreign club, or international side.
I do think that England should be managed by an Englishman - I see that McLaren is being touted for the job again - to my mind he was great as a coach but failed as a manager, but with his recent successes, maybe he is now ready.
I don't know.
Old 23-01-2011, 13:49   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Okay not quite about the England team but something referring to English football.

NewsNow: Loading story...
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 14:01   #25
God Member

Quote:
It's little wonder that the average supporter has become disillusioned with the game. They do not enjoy seeing their clubs being run like banks and are fed up at having to fork out more and more money for tickets, programmes and memorabilia. Most fans are resigned to the fact that following their favourite team can be an expensive business. What they object to is this money being used to service astronomical debts that have been run up by foreign-based owners or pay for ever higher wages for the players.
I think thats a fair summing up, although not all supporters are servicing astronimical debts by foreign owners. Some very close to home are probably lower debts and very much local owners, but it's still the same bottomless pit for supporters to pour money in to without having any say in the way their football club goes forward

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..