Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2010, 18:22   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The Grey Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well the girls used to play it at our school
Yes Jaysay, we played it at Springhill in the playground - it was called "Rounders" - Even the Yanks have a toned down version "Softball"., Played that as well and boy do they get upset with "Bodyline"
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2010, 18:33   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Yes Jaysay, we played it at Springhill in the playground - it was called "Rounders" - Even the Yanks have a toned down version "Softball"., Played that as well and boy do they get upset with "Bodyline"
Well you know what the Yanks are like Barrie
Old 25-11-2010, 18:40   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the yanks like n play these relatively new sports, cos the ones wi any history there useless at, plus the fact theve only about 20 mins real history, grates em as well.
Old 25-11-2010, 20:04   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
love it ... karma sent
Maybe I was wrong ... in Cricket, valium is probably classed as a performance enhancing drug
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 20:11   #20
God Member

Quote:
Sure they get upset with "bodyline" ... and even more upset when the pitcher takes a shot at someone's head ... but they don't bitch and whine to the umpire, or, heaven forbid, write a letter to the Times; the batter heads to the mound to beat the ever-living shlt out of the pitcher .... the benches clear ... a massive, and usually entertaining, brawl occurs ... and then we go back to the game.
Old 26-11-2010, 09:19   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sure they get upset with "bodyline" ... and even more upset when the pitcher takes a shot at someone's head ... but they don't bitch and whine to the umpire, or, heaven forbid, write a letter to the Times; the batter heads to the mound to beat the ever-living shlt out of the pitcher .... the benches clear ... a massive, and usually entertaining, brawl occurs ... and then we go back to the game.
That isn't cricket Eric
Old 26-11-2010, 09:51   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
That isn't cricket Eric
It is cricket when amateurs - even schoolboys, faced up to the likes of Wes Hall. Chester Watson, Charlie Griffiths and that maniac Gilchrist.
You wore pads, gloves and a box, and if you got hit you tried to grin and bear it, trying like hell not to let the bowler see he had hurt you - no thoughts of taking a swing at the bowler.
Old 26-11-2010, 10:11   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It is cricket when amateurs - even schoolboys, faced up to the likes of Wes Hall. Chester Watson, Charlie Griffiths and that maniac Gilchrist.
You wore pads, gloves and a box, and if you got hit you tried to grin and bear it, trying like hell not to let the bowler see he had hurt you - no thoughts of taking a swing at the bowler.
Quite true Barrie, I remember facing Chester Watson, West Indian Pro for Church in the early 60s, in the nets, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad scared, he was like grease lightning, but you had to stand there and take it, stiff upper lip and all that
Old 26-11-2010, 16:13   #24
God Member

Quote:
Quite true Barrie, I remember facing Chester Watson, West Indian Pro for Church in the early 60s, in the nets, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad scared, he was like grease lightning, but you had to stand there and take it, stiff upper lip and all that
Scew the stiff upper lip ... if a guy tries to bean you, you take a run at him and try to shove the bat up his ass, wide end first.

But, back on topic sort of: just read in the "Guardian" sports section that the Rugby game against South Africa may be cancelled because of the cold. The temp could be as low as -3. At last weekend's Western Conference final in Calgary, where the Riders whupped the Stampeders, it hit -20.

I remember being at a game at Taylor Field, against the Edmnton Eskimos appropriately, when the temps were in the high 30s ... on the minus side of course. Worst thing was, the beer froze
Old 26-11-2010, 16:38   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Jay, we must just have missed each other as I joined up in '61 and he got injured in a car crash soon after that.
Gilchrist was the one that frightened me - think he went to jail for attacking his wife with a poker - played for Bacup or one of the other Rossendale clubs.
As for attacking the bowler/pitcher - well, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Old 26-11-2010, 17:22   #26
God Member

Quote:
Jay, we must just have missed each other as I joined up in '61 and he got injured in a car crash soon after that.
Gilchrist was the one that frightened me - think he went to jail for attacking his wife with a poker - played for Bacup or one of the other Rossendale clubs.
As for attacking the bowler/pitcher - well, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Doesn't look like there will be much heat at Twickenham this weekend ... maybe the girls will have to wear their woolies However, looks like the temperature for the Grey Cup game this weekend will be around -10 ... a gorgeous winter day in Edmonton.
Old 26-11-2010, 17:44   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I can remember going over to see him play but when we got to the ground we heard he wouldn't be playing as he'd been in a car accident, mind you his replacement wasn't a bad un Barrie, some bloke called Garfield Sobers stood in for him Roy Gilchrist play at Bacup, and he was a nutter, and was only a relatively small chap really
Old 26-11-2010, 19:03   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
I can remember going over to see him play but when we got to the ground we heard he wouldn't be playing as he'd been in a car accident, mind you his replacement wasn't a bad un Barrie, some bloke called Garfield Sobers stood in for him Roy Gilchrist play at Bacup, and he was a nutter, and was only a relatively small chap really
Australian spinner was the 1st one, then Polly Umrigar, can't remember if anyone after him before Chester - boy, did life get hectic after that - bouncers that the wkt keeper couldn't get to. That sort of thing went on to my time in the RAF, but gave it up in the '70s, pitches crap, bowlers too fast, eyes and reactions too slow - one on the forehead hairline and one on the temple, fortunately wearing spectacles
Old 26-11-2010, 19:45   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Australian spinner was the 1st one, then Polly Umrigar, can't remember if anyone after him before Chester - boy, did life get hectic after that - bouncers that the wkt keeper couldn't get to. That sort of thing went on to my time in the RAF, but gave it up in the '70s, pitches crap, bowlers too fast, eyes and reactions too slow - one on the forehead hairline and one on the temple, fortunately wearing spectacles
I remember Polly Umrigar, he smoked a pipe, my Uncle who was on Church CC committee at the time asked my Father to make him a tobacco box, he turned it on a lathe and polished it and Polly came to our home to pick it up, think I was about 9 or 10 at the time
Old 26-11-2010, 22:56   #30
God Member

As Oscar Wilde said ... ok, he didn't, but he would have if he had given it some thought: the only thing more boring than cricket is people talking about cricket.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..