Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2009, 16:17   #1
Resting in Peace

Tommy Cummings

Former Burnley Captain Tommy Cummings has died at the age of 80. he made 434 appearances between 1948 and 1962 RIP
Old 13-07-2009, 19:20   #2
God Member

Re: Tommy Cummings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Former Burnley Captain Tommy Cummings has died at the age of 80. he made 434 appearances between 1948 and 1962 RIP
I remember him playing .... centre half wasn't he .... good player.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 19:50   #3
God Member

Shame he wasn't able to get to see the next season. Lots planned for the 50th Anniversary of winning the league, including playing in a replica kit from that season, the same as he wore as a member of that winning team.

RIP Tommy, and condolences to his family.
Old 13-07-2009, 21:32   #4
white rabbits

He was a legend in Bob Lords day ,when i was a kid,,,,R.I.P.
Old 13-07-2009, 23:04   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

R.I.P. Tommy Cummings, was a fair owd player.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:16   #6
Resting in Peace

If I remember rightly he ran the Shooters pub in Nelson for many years, come across him at presentations for the Burnley and Pendle leagues
Old 14-07-2009, 19:26   #7
God Member

Quote:
If I remember rightly he ran the Shooters pub in Nelson for many years, come across him at presentations for the Burnley and Pendle leagues

Yes he did, then went on to the Hare & Hounds. Seem to recall from my pool playing days we had quite a few drubbings at the hands of the Shooters in those days

Good tribute paid by Mansfield Town too

Mansfield Town | News | Latest News | Latest News | Tommy Cummings (1928-2009)
Old 15-07-2009, 10:03   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Yes he did, then went on to the Hare & Hounds. Seem to recall from my pool playing days we had quite a few drubbings at the hands of the Shooters in those days

Good tribute paid by Mansfield Town too

Mansfield Town | News | Latest News | Latest News | Tommy Cummings (1928-2009)
Ya dave what a great tribute, fare play to Mansfield. The Shooters had a great team in those days, seem to remember my mate Dean Emmett played there for a while, he was Secretary of the Pendle Pool League and Secretary of the Lancashire County Pool Ass when I as Chairman, we travelled all over the country together
Old 15-07-2009, 16:54   #9
God Member

Quote:
Ya dave what a great tribute, fare play to Mansfield. The Shooters had a great team in those days, seem to remember my mate Dean Emmett played there for a while, he was Secretary of the Pendle Pool League and Secretary of the Lancashire County Pool Ass when I as Chairman, we travelled all over the country together
Remember Dean well. Didn't he win that Indoor League thing that was hosted by Freddie Truman ?
Old 16-07-2009, 09:18   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Remember Dean well. Didn't he win that Indoor League thing that was hosted by Freddie Truman ?
Ya he did dave, he always said that was his claim to fame Nice guy Dean his wife was a radiographer at Burnley General, I haven't seen him for years now, often wonder how the old mob are going on. Another mate from that era who came from Burnley was Big Brian Fenn, Brian was my ref partner, a real giant of a man, another mate was Ken Southern was a Landlord of a pub near the Turf last I heard, there was an article in the Telegraph a couple of years back about his son playing Pool for Ireland. Then there was Dave Grey and his son Mark, Jimmy Dand, Fred Hutley, was from Burnley, but lived in Hassy they all played Pool for Lancashire in the 80s

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..