Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 18:39   #1
Junior Member+

Unhappy Tony Parkes

How does everyone feel about the dismissal of Tony Parkes this week?
I think it is a shame for someone to be axed with such short notice after 34 years of devotion to Blackburn. In the past, on more than one occassion, he has stepped in where no one else would and given everything for the club.
Old 12-11-2004, 19:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Tony Parkes

I was very suprised to hear the news of Tony Parkes and he found out in such a bad way through the media.

Don't like Blackburn but like Tony Parkes and all the best to him in the future
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 20:45   #3
Resident Waffler

I'm not a great football fan but for once I've got an opinion on this one. I think he's been treated shamefully after all he's done for the club in the past and the way he has stepped into the breech (breach?) as and when required on more than one occasion. To find out the way he did makes it even more appalling. Shame on BRFC

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 20:58   #4

lets employ him for stanley
Old 13-11-2004, 11:31   #5

Quite agree with what everyone has written concerning Tony Parkes. It is disgusting how he found out. Word has it that after a board meeting someone in that meeting leeked it to the Sun in London, why they didn't contact Sun, Manchester is anyones guess. After reading the newspaper his daughter rang him up and told him. Once again it's disgusting.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 11:31   #6
Super Moderator

Another reason to stop watching Rovers and start watching Stanley instead.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2004, 12:01   #7

i agree........................
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 11:18   #8

OK, I know I will probably lose some karma but here goes. I am a Rovers fan and had a season ticket up until coming to live in America 7+ years ago.

Tony was a great servant to Blackburn Rovers for over 30 years and deserves great praise and respect for all he did for the club. That having been said, none of us go on for ever. Times and circumstances change and sometimes new brooms are needed and are expected to sweep clean. Mark Hughes has made a decision that Tony does not fit into his plans and has acted on it. He is the manager and his decisions have to be respected; as far as I am concerned anyway. I think it is a very brave decision on his part because he must know that there will be a lot of people who will think it was harsh. Maybe it was. But maybe it needed to be done. Time will tell. These decisions are obviously made some time prior to people being told. The fact that Tony found out through a leak to a newspaper is an absolute travesty. I do not, however, consider that Mark Hughes is to blame for the leak. I'm quite sure he knows that people would be up in arms over such an event and would have much preferred to tell Tony himself and do the thing right. Whoever leaked this to the press is the real villain in this instance and they should be rooted out and fired as soon as possible.

Best of luck to Tony in whatever he decides to do and yes, I think Accrington Stanley could possibly benefit from his vast experience.

OK guys, hit those 'karma buttons!'

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 16-11-2004 at 11:20.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 14:30   #9
Resident Waffler

I take your point about nobody going on forever and new brooms being needed but some recognition should have been shown for the fact that many times over the past 30 years Tony Parks held the club together and picked up other people's pieces.

Blackburn Rovers wouldn't have survived without him. A golden thank you wouldn't have gone amiss.

Old 16-11-2004, 14:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I take your point about nobody going on forever and new brooms being needed but some recognition should have been shown for the fact that many times over the past 30 years Tony Parks held the club together and picked up other people's pieces.

Blackburn Rovers wouldn't have survived without him. A golden thank you wouldn't have gone amiss.
I certainly would not agrue with that Willow, and who knows, such a thing may well have been planned but the leak would have put paid to any overt recognition. None of us know if Tony received a golden thank you in his final pay packet.

JohnW
Old 16-11-2004, 14:42   #11

KarmaYour Karma on this post is Somewhat Negative.
Comments on this PostOnly because you asked us to You have 32 Karma points.

Not really a good reason whoever you are. But not altogether unexpected.

JohnW
Old 16-11-2004, 16:37   #12
Resident Waffler

That's what I meant about silly reasons. I'd give you some but it tells me I've already given out too much today.

Old 16-11-2004, 16:39   #13

its a pity blackburn fans arent as appreciative with shearer as they are with parkes shearer was the main reason you won the title . It isnt a surprise with the blackburn board though look at how quickly speedie was got rid of after scoring how many goals getting you in the premiership
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2004, 17:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrabbit
its a pity blackburn fans arent as appreciative with shearer as they are with parkes shearer was the main reason you won the title . It isnt a surprise with the blackburn board though look at how quickly speedie was got rid of after scoring how many goals getting you in the premiership
I doubt you would find a Blackburn Rovers fan that would argue against the fact that Alan Shearer was the main reason we won the title. So what should they have done with Speedie? Should they have kept him and played him in place of Shearer? Would they have won the title then?
As I said earlier, there comes a time when it's time to move on. With Speedie, the board decided it was time. With Shearer, he decided it was time. Either has the right to decide that, just like you and me at work. We can resign, we can be fired. Either way, if it's time to move on for one or the other then that's the way it is.

In my opinion, Shearer may have left a little early. He never did play anywhere near as well for Newcastle as he did for Blackburn. No matter, it was his decision right?

JohnW
Old 16-11-2004, 17:54   #15

firstly i thought it was harsh with speedie because he worked so hard for you to get back in the premiership where every player wants to be he didnt even get the chance to prove himself along side shearer in the prem .As for sitting on the bench the likes of kluivert , smith , rooney can put up with it im sure speedie would have been happy and hed have had a premiership title to his name . Secondly with shearer it wasnt all his choice as most people know man u went in for him but walker wouldnt allow it and even though he could have stayed a little longer why dont blackburn fans applaud there greatest player as far back as can remmber and probably a good few years more . When colin hendry returned to blackburn the city fans cheered for him as he came on the pitch even though he didnt really do anything for us
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..