Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Football
Donate! Join Today

Football Talk about anything football related here..Any teams, any topic - so long as its football!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2005, 13:14   #31

Re: Where are all the Rovers Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead
well said bazf they did buy the title reminds me of whats happening now at the moment with a certain London club.At least yours and my teams money is their own,we dont need no 'sugar daddy'
All teams have to start somewhere until they can build up capital from profit. It's common sense really. If you don't have money you can't buy decent players so you don't have a good team so no-one comes to watch you. It takes time to get the ball rolling. Blackburn are at that stage now. United and Liverpool are long established, profitable businesses so it's different for them. You must also remember that they have a greater populated catchment area to work with, a very important point indeed. I wonder where United would be now if it hadn't had the Edwards' family money in days gone by. And where would Liverpool be if they had not had the Moore's family money. Ah, how soon we forget when convenient to do so. I think Burnley have done extremely well. They have clawed themselves back from the brink of disaster and occupy a very respectable position in the league tables. It may take a number of years, but hopefully, Stanley will achieve this also. I'm sure if benefactors come along and offer a few million quid, neither Burnley nor Stanley will be turning them away. What do you think?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2005, 18:08   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffy16
Rovers took 400 away to Liverpool this year and only 350 to Everton which is a disgrace....

Stanley take more away than that!
Ever considered that it's because nobody really wants to go to Liverpool?

JohnW
Old 20-04-2005, 18:26   #33
Senior Member+

I don't think its convienient memory lapses I think its different situations, neither the Edwards or Moores had a billion pounds and also they invested in facilities not in team structure as it wasn't business paractice in those days, all clubs were run on a profit or loss not a loss or loss so although the chairman may have allowed a player to join or leave a club it was always the fact that the club owned the player and determined the wage structure not as it is today where Rio can hold Manure to hostage if they don't pay him more he will leave. Remember when George Best said he was leaving and Busby basicaly kicked his ar*e in public and told him no way, it won't happen today.
But one name you left off the list of benefactors was Bob Lord who at the time had more money then either Edwards or Moores, and where are Burnley now being bailed out again by a chairman because "its such a small catchment area", theres no team between Burnley and Bradford, thats one hell of a catchment area, if Burnley had won 4 European cups, 18 League Championships do you think there would only be 14000 on the turf, because teams had vision in the sixtys and seventies to see which way football was going you shouldn't critise them you should applaud them but as normal it easier to be the underdog and cry foul.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 19:19   #34

Basicly, the only thing between Burnley and Bradford is the Pennine range, hardly a well populated area, mainly moorland. There are probably more people living in Scotty bl**dy Road than in 2000 square miles of Pennine moorland.

I was not crying foul, you made a statement about 'buying' the championship, if anything, that is you crying foul because you haven't won it for so long, well, never as the premiership. I was explaining that it can't be bought. Jack Walker also invested in facilities hence the very well appointed stadium for a comparatively small town team. There's always a lot more money and people in cities especially compared to the run down area of East Lancashire. The argument that the catchment area is far less populated is a valid one. There is also considerably more poverty and many people cannot afford to go to the matches at home never mind travel away to matches with all the extra cost that involves. I am very happy to be a Blackburn supporter and have no reason at all to cry foul. Neither, in the last ten years do I consider we have been the underdog.

I would be interested to hear how you know that Bob Lord had more money than the Moores family. He was a butcher I believe. The Moores owned Littlewoods pools and at that time had immense spending power. We have to remember that a Million pounds in the 1960's could buy what costs probably 50 Million or more now. 1st class footballers were being bought and sold for a couple of hundred thousand pounds. Now they're almost reaching 30 Million pounds. So yes, things were different. It would be interesting to know just how much the Moores put into Liverpool FC and if it compared, allowing for inflation, to what Jack Walker did for Blackburn. Whatever Moores did put in, you can bet your sweet life that none of the Liverpool supporters at the time encouraged him to keep his money in his pocket.

JohnW

Last edited by JohnW; 21-04-2005 at 14:16.
Old 20-04-2005, 19:29   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

bob lord was a butcher who i am led to believe was done for selling green meat to schools during the war,also led to believe from my late dad that the swine pulled the rug out from under accy stanley in 1962,apart from that how do you know how much money he had it was a fair bit .
Old 20-04-2005, 19:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
bob lord was a butcher who i am led to believe was done for selling green meat to schools during the war,also led to believe from my late dad that the swine pulled the rug out from under accy stanley in 1962,apart from that how do you know how much money he had it was a fair bit .
I didn't profess to know how much money he had. Someone else said that Lord had more than Moores of Liverpool and Edwards of United. I only asked how he knew that.

JohnW
Old 20-04-2005, 19:54   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thumbs up Re: Where are all the Rovers Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
I didn't profess to know how much money he had. Someone else said that Lord had more than Moores of Liverpool and Edwards of United. I only asked how he knew that.
was askin bazf how he had that info not you johnw,not gettin at anybody on here,just have a burning hatred for the guy that s*** on accy stanley.
Old 20-04-2005, 20:11   #38

The Bob Lord/Accrington Stanley connection is something I know nothing at all about. Can someone please explain to me what the man is supposed to have done? I am not quite sure how Bob Lord, who was involved with Burnley FC which, at that time, was either a first or second division team, could have had any hand in the demise of Accrington who were in the fourth division. However, there is obviously something I am missing, will someone explain please?

JohnW
Old 21-04-2005, 07:38   #39
Super Moderator

OK, John, here goes...In February, 1962, as Stanley's financial situation reached crisis point, the board asked vice-chairman and club elder statesman, Sam Pilkington to get involved. He would only do so if his life-long friend, Bob Lord, was also involved. Lord immediately aroused suspicions by insisting that six of the club's directors resign. On March 11th the Stanley board convened to be given a report on the financial position by the club's accountants. It showed that the club were around £60,000 in the red. Lord then stated that the situation was hopeless and recommended that the club should fold. The remaining four directors took his advice on board and sent a letter of resignation to the football league the next day.

However, when the news broke in the town, there was an outcry and offers of financial support poured in from businessmen and members of the public. In fact, one man walked into Peel Park with a bag containing £10,000 in cash and offered it as an unconditional loan, saying, "I don't want this club to die." Faced with this, the directors sent a second letter asking the league to disregard the first one.

On March 11th, the league management committee (whose members included a certain Bob Lord) met to decide which letter to accept. They decided that the first letter should stand and Stanley were out of the league.

Obviously, no one can ever be sure, but it was felt that Lord had stitched Stanley up because he didn't want another league club on Burnley's doorstep.

To be fair, other clubs could have done more to help. Rovers, for instance, could have bought Stanley's star player, Mike Ferguson for a reasonable fee, instead of waiting until the club had folded and picking him up for a bargain-basement fee of £2000.

However, it's all a long time ago. The most important thing is that you lads who support bigger clubs have Stanley as your second club and come along when you can, so that our revival can continue!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2005, 11:24   #40

Hi Wynonie,

Well thank you for that information. I have had a pm from Cashman with a, somewhat, different story but it seems that Mr. Lord did in fact have some hand in the demise of Stanley. Much as I would love to help with the revival, it's rather a long way from Florida to watch either Rovers or Stanley!

Cheers for now,

John.

JohnW
Old 21-04-2005, 11:38   #41
Super Moderator

Ok, John, you're excused from attending the IES. Incidentally, I cocked up - the date of the original board meeting should have been March 5th. I'd love to know what Cashman's take on the Lord/Stanley story is, though!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2005, 13:14   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
Ok, John, you're excused from attending the IES. Incidentally, I cocked up - the date of the original board meeting should have been March 5th. I'd love to know what Cashman's take on the Lord/Stanley story is, though!

PM on way.

JohnW
Old 24-04-2005, 07:17   #43
Senior Member+

Reet then well consider this.Which other team has won the Premiereship since it started apart from M.U and Arsenal.
Thats right Rovers.
Old 24-04-2005, 14:57   #44
Senior Member+

So because the name changed all other records don't count anymore?
What does that leave Rovers with....... 1 Premiership........ no first div champs now called Championship.......... no second div Champs now called league 1 League cup was called the worthington when you won it so that doesnt count as its now the Carling cup. Seems like if you want to live on one bought championship, OK.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 15:18   #45
Senior Member+

No of course all other records count.I do not recall saying that?I reckon Hughesy is building up a team for the future.Not like Souness.Anyway Bazf no need to be like that.'I recall we beat Palace this season LOL!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..