Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2009, 07:01   #1006
God Member

Re: Accy Web video jukebox.

bit of a change from the rock and roll/soul ....anyone who has followed the postings on this thread know I have had a thing (since my teenage years) for Francoise Hardy , here she sings the old Charles Trenet song La Mer .

its a great song that brings back memories of being 'younger', afternoon drinks in a beach bar , oily bodies and sand in all the nooks and crannies

forgot to add , today is her 65 th birthday , happy birthday Francoise

Last edited by steeljack; 17-01-2009 at 07:10.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2009, 07:24   #1007

She's still a great looking bird steely, I was crazy about her too. There was a coffee bar on Blackburn Boulevade that had her playing all the time in the 60s , I think it was the Kd or JB something like that. Have a sticky at her website, loads of photos.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 07:40   #1008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
There was a coffee bar on Blackburn Boulevade that had her playing all the time in the 60s , I think it was the Kd or JB something like that.
KJ, mate...on the corner of Jubilee Street...remember it well! Can't say her music's to my personal taste, but one hell of a classy looker. The sort of girl you dreamt about walking down the street arm-in-arm with when you were younger!
Old 17-01-2009, 07:57   #1009

Steely has just sent me a pm, he has other ideas about her & Marianne, and its not walking arm- in- arm mate.
Old 17-01-2009, 07:57   #1010
Super Moderator

Talking of iconic faces of the 60's, how about her?...

Julie Driscoll with a great version of Aretha's "Save Me". The ultimate mod chick!
Old 17-01-2009, 07:59   #1011
Super Moderator

Quote:
Steely has just sent me a pm, he has other ideas about her & Marianne, and its not walking arm- in- arm mate.
I sincerely hope he didn't mention Mars bars!
Old 17-01-2009, 08:03   #1012
God Member

Wynonie , you will probably know this , who was the girl from Manchester , 60s era think she had a brother in the music business as well , did more jazz type stuff , the mind has gone blank here
Old 17-01-2009, 08:04   #1013
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I sincerely hope he didn't mention Mars bars!
Certainly not , two nice girls like that
Old 17-01-2009, 08:15   #1014
Super Moderator

Elkie Brooks, shown here, also doing an Aretha cover. Her brother, Tony, was the drummer in The Dakotas.

Old 17-01-2009, 08:16   #1015
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Wynonie , you will probably know this , who was the girl from Manchester , 60s era think she had a brother in the music business as well , did more jazz type stuff , the mind has gone blank here
ok the brain has kicked in Eklie Brooks,
Old 17-01-2009, 09:20   #1016
God Member

Quote:
Talking of iconic faces of the 60's, how about her?...

Julie Driscoll with a great version of Aretha's "Save Me". The ultimate mod chick!
I've argued about his chick so many times with Californians , no way will they agree or I convince them that she is/was the role model for Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane/Starship fame. Everyone in the Bay Area (well folks my age) think Grace Slick is some sort of an icon, what she was doing as a stage act in the early 70s , Julie Driscoll had done similar in the late 60s . Now , thanks to You-tube the next time we meet up I can show them. (lap-tops, WiFi and Blackberrys at dinner parties , just what we need )
Old 17-01-2009, 09:40   #1017
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I've argued about his chick so many times with Californians , no way will they agree or I convince them that she is/was the role model for Grace Slick from Jefferson Airplane/Starship fame. Everyone in the Bay Area (well folks my age) think Grace Slick is some sort of an icon, what she was doing as a stage act in the early 70s , Julie Driscoll had done similar in the late 60s . Now , thanks to You-tube the next time we meet up I can show them. (lap-tops, WiFi and Blackberrys at dinner parties , just what we need )
Grace Slick?...I think you're knocking round with too many ageing hippies. Are there no old soul boys out there?
Old 18-01-2009, 07:12   #1018

It was people like us Wyn (in the UK )who embraced soul in the 60s & 70s, we didnt give a toss about colour, it may have come out of the USA but it was ours. Well thats why they made all those covers because black wouldnt sell. The bands in the UK covered them in admiraton of what they were doing. God bless Obama. I never had flowers in my hair.
Old 18-01-2009, 07:39   #1019
God Member

Quote:
Elkie Brooks, shown here, also doing an Aretha cover. Her brother, Tony, was the drummer in The Dakotas.

Our drummer has played with Elkie Brooks
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 19:37   #1020
Super Moderator

Quote:
It was people like us Wyn (in the UK )who embraced soul in the 60s & 70s, we didnt give a toss about colour, it may have come out of the USA but it was ours. Well thats why they made all those covers because black wouldnt sell. The bands in the UK covered them in admiraton of what they were doing. God bless Obama. I never had flowers in my hair.
Quite right, Al. Here's Otis at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967. The American rock crowd knew nothing about him before then, yet he'd already toured Britain twice, appeared on Ready Steady Go and had hits in the UK charts. We loved their music better than they did!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..