Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2007, 20:18   #1
God Member

interesting obituary 60s r and b promoter

this maybe of interest to Cashman and Wynonie
Rik Gunnell | Obituaries | News | Telegraph

intersting tidbit that Georgie Fame and the Blue flames were Billy Fury's backing group .

I remember visiting the Flamingo club on Wardour st. I must have been 16 yrs old at the time and more than a bit naive , (was in London for a football cup tie game ) and remember telling my mam and dad on my return about " a big black man trying to sell me some special cigarette but it was expensive so I declined and offered him an Embassy"
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2007, 21:19   #2
Super Moderator

Re: interesting obituary 60s r and b promoter

Cheers for that, SJ. A real larger than life character! I bet he could've told some fantastic tales about swinging London in the 60's.

Like your reminiscence about the "exotic cigarette" too!
Old 23-06-2007, 12:19   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: interesting obituary 60s r and b promoter

that was very interesting to me- cheers mate, actually saw billy fury many times in 62 on a packeage tour, cant remember the blue flames backing him (must have split just prior?) visted london many times then for the "match" but never went in the flamingo (cant remember anyway lol) used to frequent a little boozer on dean street, had a landlady that had been in years n knew all the "faces" not of the singing variety lol. actually saw david bowie with a spanish guitar not many years later, doin a gig in some boozer,not in soho but cant remember where? he did laughing knombe n at the time thought who is that prat lol how wrong i was.pmsl

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..