Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2008, 22:23   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: 1,633

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Better football = more fans. Simple, and fickle, as that.
think yer in the wrong town for that shaker, the side of 61/62 did play much better football than that, true there was just about double that gate then, but that was it. n those who were young fans then became lost forever in the main, sad fact but true, n football i reckon is much harder now fer the little clubs to attract, money, hype, n bullsh**. talks, simple as, if the reds can get up to 3000 average thats great n also a miracle.
Old 19-05-2008, 07:22   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post

What a difference it would make to us if we could get 3000 a game at the FES and double our operating budget.
1500 - 2000 would seem to be a more realistic hope at the present time. A steady growth in the Club's fan-base of loyal supporters who purchase a Season-ticket and turn up week in- week out, would not only provide some increase in Revenue, but also produce results which might just diminish the numbers of 'Love/Hate Coley' threads which litter our Forum from time to time !.

You can observe a lot by watching. (Alfred.E.Neumann.)
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 07:35   #18
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernred View Post
From memory our average attendance in year 1 was 2600.

So on that basis if Dagenham and Morecambe have a poorer season in year 2 and "lose" the 1k as we did, what will their avearages be??

D&R 1,000 Morecambe 1800.

Whilst we need to improve and retain our core following, providing we improve again at home and continue to build for the future, the future can be good.

The exhibition this summer and some astute signings will help
we are expecting a better season !
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 07:39   #19
God Member

you lot had a good year last year but still conceded bragging rights to your poor neighbours!
Old 19-05-2008, 08:40   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
you lot had a good year last year but still conceded bragging rights to your poor neighbours!
maybe but we got our "pride of Lancashire" title back !
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 10:27   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Quite well? Name me one other manager who's kept a team in the football league on gates of 1,633. You can't, because no one else has ever done it. So, not just miracle worker but trailblazer and an inspiration to all non-league clubs struggling with public indifference...and that's not just the Black Sheep talking!
Again - Lee McEvilly? Graham Branch? Harris on the wing? To keep us in the league has indeed been quite an achievement due to the attendances etc. However if our abilities with regards to the squad were used to the full all season instead of persisting with crap players and crap tactics, we could've done better. And that is not, before the Coley groupies start up, being greedy. I would've been happy to be relegated if we'd have given our best all season. We don't need more people through the gate to get the tactics right. For the record, I don't believe John Coleman should be sacked. I do believe he is tactically flawed/inept though and needs to be much less stubborn and more professional.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 10:56   #22
Super Moderator

Yep, Coley's made his share of mistakes this season, just like many managers have. However, I still maintain that what he's achieved is nothing short of a miracle - and a unique one at that. If it's only "quite an achievement" then how come there aren't more ex-non league clubs on 1,500-1,600 average gates in league 2?
Old 19-05-2008, 11:16   #23
Senior Member+

I believe that it is very misleading to look for a correlation between gate receipts and team performance. I don't believe that JC's 'building' of the squad was only based on the 1600+ fans through the turnstile, as the figures don't really tally.
We haven't just lost games this season due to lower ability players, but because of poor tactics and a general lack of awareness of other teams changing theirs.

Next season I think that the budget for playing staff will be more reflective of the gates and then we'll see how JC does then.
Old 19-05-2008, 11:53   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I believe that it is very misleading to look for a correlation between gate receipts and team performance. I don't believe that JC's 'building' of the squad was only based on the 1600+ fans through the turnstile, as the figures don't really tally.
Surely, there must be some link between gate receipts and player budget, TM...or am I missing something?
Old 19-05-2008, 12:45   #25
Senior Member+

There is a link obviously Wynonie, but it isn't the only factor. Player's wages for last year's squad must have outweighed the income through the turnstiles and so other factors must come into play.
There was the Craney transfer, for example, which didn't come from gate money.
Old 19-05-2008, 16:27   #26
Senior Member+

When Stanley came up the figure Eric had in mind was 3000.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 17:24   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
There is a link obviously Wynonie, but it isn't the only factor. Player's wages for last year's squad must have outweighed the income through the turnstiles and so other factors must come into play.
There was the Craney transfer, for example, which didn't come from gate money.
Don't understand, TM. Are you saying we've survived on such pathetic gates, because we've another source of income coming from somewhere else? And if that's true, why should "the budget for playing staff be more reflective of the gates" next season...is this source suddenly going to dry up?

Sorry, can't agree with you. Apart from income streams from draw tickets, bar takings etc, which all clubs have to a greater or lesser extent, I reckon that there's an almost umbilical link between gates and money available for players. And I STILL say that Coley is performing a miracle here at Stanley. I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but name me one other manager who has kept a club in the football league on 1,500-1,600 gates? I certainly can't think of one!
Old 19-05-2008, 18:09   #28
Senior Member+

I went to Pompey's cup winning homecoming yesterday. Amongst 200,000 (allegedly - definitely more than 1633) very happy people I'm almost sure I heard someone say "Redknapp's going to be completely out of his depth in Europe next year, we ought to get rid of him now" and his mate replied "Yeah, and Gaydamak should sell out to someone who's prepared to spend real money".
Old 19-05-2008, 19:51   #29
God Member

There will also be Money from Shirt Sponsor, Board Advertisng, Football League Revenue, Transfer Fees recieved. Coley does deserve great Credit but so does everyone else at the Club from Eric & Rob down to the Bar Staff at the Crown & Lounge they all play a part in keeping the ship afloat and on an even keel as do the fans for keeping the Faith!

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 20:39   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Don't understand, TM. Are you saying we've survived on such pathetic gates, because we've another source of income coming from somewhere else? And if that's true, why should "the budget for playing staff be more reflective of the gates" next season...is this source suddenly going to dry up?
Players are signed in the summer and offered a contract that will pay them a basic salary plus performance bonuses for the next one or two years. So it is the expectation of the coming season's gate revenue that determines how much money the players are offered in their contracts.

I agree with TM, if Eric is downgrading his expectation of how many people will come through the gate next season based on this year's gates, that will mean smaller contracts for this summer's new players ... so low gates in one season affect the quality of players acquired the next season.
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..