Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 19:18   #31
Senior Member+

Re: 1962 - help please!

Ive just found John Marshall in the Complete Record Book. He left in 61 to go into National Service.

I have spoken to Johnny Haasz in Doncaster and told him to expect a call from Dan.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51   #32
Dan
Senior Member+

Hi all
Just another update for you. I think I now have a comprehensive (or at least as detailed as I can muster) list of all the players who featured in 61-62 and were also involved in the squad during that time. Here it comes:

Alex Smith (lives in Bolton - contacted)
George Forrester (deceased)
Joe Walton (deceased - lived in Preston)
Bob Wilson (I believe he lives in Dundee - I've got a couple of contact details)
Garbutt Richardson
Alex Hamilton (deceased - lived locally)
Willie Devine (I heard he may be in Dundee)
Mike Ferguson (is living in Spain I believe)
George Hudson
Bill Smith (deceased - lived in Blackburn)
David Sturrock (lives in Dundee - contacted)
Lawson Bennett (deceased - remained local)
Paddy Mulvey (deceased - his son works at Man Utd. Am hoping to speak to him)
Jim Milner (moved back to the north east)
Russ Cuddihey (still local - I've got three different addresses and two phone numbers!)
Peter Irving
Mike Pickup (got an address in Congleton)
Barry Smith (deceased)
Bob Gordon (lives in Scotland. In the process of getting details - cheers Mab!)
Joe Hooley
Reg Bonson
Jack Wareing (still local? I have an address)
Les Christie
Brian Bades
Alan Gregory (last heard of running the White Lion pub in Burnley)
Joe Devlin (still local - I've got an address)
Dave Baron (still local - contacted)
Peter Vipham (possibly lives in Rossendale)
Graham Lord (also possibly in Rossendale)

The last three didn't make any appearances, but were considered part of the squad then so will be considered that way now too. Macca, any names I'm missing?

Do any of these names ring a bell? (particularly those with no info next to them)

I'm particularly keen to find relatives of those who were local but are no longer with us (Bill Smith, Lawson Bennett, Alex Hamilton, Joe Walton)

I'm going to be sending out stuff to local press and also papers in specific areas where I think the players may be (David Sturrock rang me after his cousin read a piece in the paper in Dundee!)

Long post, but hopefully some of it is interesting.

Dan

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:05   #33
Resting In Peace

I think that George Hudson lives in Bury, or surrounding area. He was introduced to the crowd at the Bury v Stanley game in Stanley's first season in the league.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 15:28   #34
Dan
Senior Member+

Another update (it's been a productive day!)
I've now spoken to Mike Pickup and had an email from Bob Wilson, as well as getting a number of leads on other players (cheers Jeff)

- Barry Davies

- Brian Moore
Old 05-12-2011, 15:51   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
I think that George Hudson lives in Bury, or surrounding area. He was introduced to the crowd at the Bury v Stanley game in Stanley's first season in the league.
There's a thread that's full of praise for George Hudson on Coventry City's forum at George Hudson. It includes a post from his daughter just two weeks ago so that may be a way of contacting him.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 15:52   #36
Dan
Senior Member+

I've just spoken to my fifth genuine 1962 veteran - Bob Gordon. Yesterday I had a long chat with Bob Wilson, who has lots of memories of the time of the club folding.

There's been progress elsewhere too. I've got a large number of potential addresses for others and am trying to whittle them down.

I still have little or no info for Willie Devine, Garbutt Richardson and Peter Irving and haven't found any relatives for Alex Hamilton, Lawson Bennett or Bill Smith (something I'm really keen to do as they were local) and George Forrester.

The search continues!

- Barry Davies

- Brian Moore
Old 07-12-2011, 16:22   #37

Have sent an e-mail with some addresses, including Vipham, Bades etc. What are the criteria, if any? Reserves?
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:42   #38

How about you, Ossy Kid? Unlike John Marshall you were still around in 62, were you not?
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20   #39

Think Bill Smith was a member of Wilpshire Golf Club,with his wife.Might be a possible avenue.
Old 10-12-2011, 15:28   #40

Hi,
George Hudson is living in the Bury area, i actually took him to a Stanley home game last season. A pal of mine saw a photo in the observer so i took a look.

Al Hudson
alanhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 16:20   #41

Friday 21 August 2009 Observer:

THE usual comments were banded around when former Stanley striker George Hudson was announced as a guest at Tuesday’s clash with Northampton.
George met Rob and John Coleman after the game.
alanhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:07   #42

Just catching up with old posts, and you mention my cousin Russell Cuddihy, sadly Russell passed away last year....
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:56   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
Just catching up with old posts, and you mention my cousin Russell Cuddihy, sadly Russell passed away last year....
yeh he was a decent cricketer was Russel.also.
AccyGirl likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 11-06-2021 at 15:02.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 19:26   #44

Hi Dan, just returned from spot of uk holiday and seen your request. Was only 18 and exiled down south by '62 so not much use with current info. However, I kept a cutting given to me from from the Sunday Times 16/04/06 (article by a Greg Struthers if you media boys have archive access). This a peice about Stanley's demise in '62 with team photo from that era and bit of a bio on each individual. Apart from what you already know, it says that Willie Devine and Peter Irving moved to Australia. In Feb 62 I saw Stanley play a friday nighter in Aldershot and as an 18yo kid was admitted to the dressing room to get the prog autographed. Remember hearing talk about the players having been given a fiver in the paypacket with no promise of when shortfall would be paid. At that point was asked to wait outside dressing room door for remaining sigs to be added to my prog. A few weeks later, brokenhearted like many of us and not a fan of Bob Lord if stories held water.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:49   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon View Post
Hi Dan, just returned from spot of uk holiday and seen your request. Was only 18 and exiled down south by '62 so not much use with current info. However, I kept a cutting given to me from from the Sunday Times 16/04/06 (article by a Greg Struthers if you media boys have archive access). This a peice about Stanley's demise in '62 with team photo from that era and bit of a bio on each individual. Apart from what you already know, it says that Willie Devine and Peter Irving moved to Australia. In Feb 62 I saw Stanley play a friday nighter in Aldershot and as an 18yo kid was admitted to the dressing room to get the prog autographed. Remember hearing talk about the players having been given a fiver in the paypacket with no promise of when shortfall would be paid. At that point was asked to wait outside dressing room door for remaining sigs to be added to my prog. A few weeks later, brokenhearted like many of us and not a fan of Bob Lord if stories held water.
my late dad, told me they were 100% true mate as i was only 14 at the time and knew nowt basically,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..