Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2010, 22:45   #16

Re: Anyone know someone who attended the 1958 game

It was 58-59 season
huncoatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2010, 22:48   #17

thanks. thats great. I am glad we sorted that out.

right, back to my original question. Please let me know if you or anyone you know was at that game.

thanks
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 22:57   #18

Its going to be amazing on saturday.I really think we have a fantastic chance of progressing, we have a cracking squad, brilliant manager, and like everyone knows anything is possible in the FA Cup, just think back to 1999 when chesterfield were so close to reaching the final, i cant wait.
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 22:58   #19

According to 'Accrington Stanley - A Complete Record1894-1962) We drew with Portsmouth 0-0 at Peel Park on 24-01-1959 and were beaten at their place 4-1 on the 28-01-59
Minister Onymfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:06   #20

Looks like I was slow in getting my response to Cashy's question :-) I went off to dig the book out.
Minister Onymfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:08   #21

has anyone seen any internet link to highlights of the game this evening ?
expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:16   #22
Senior Member+

I was there in the 58-59 season against Portsmouth, fourth round 0-0 tie, also the 57-58 season against Bristol City when Stanley lost in a 3rd round replay, also the 59-60 against P.N.E. both games, again Stanley lost in the 3rd round replay. Some great days but today was just as great, just sorry I can,t be there against Fulham.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I was there in the 58-59 season against Portsmouth, fourth round 0-0 tie, also the 57-58 season against Bristol City when Stanley lost in a 3rd round replay, also the 59-60 against P.N.E. both games, again Stanley lost in the 3rd round replay. Some great days but today was just as great, just sorry I can,t be there against Fulham.
must`ve been good days.
just as good as tonight.
huncoatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:22   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if the 58 match was at peel park or away at any team who was then in owd 3rd division north ilyas, then i was definately there, cos me dad took me to all matches, cannot remember nowt about it sadly, was only 10 at the time, but are ya sure it was a 4th round game? ps who was it against? can remember Portsmouth coming but the year???
well i was yon n on sat i'm sure i will feel 10 yrs old again, cos me memorys as bad.
Old 19-01-2010, 23:23   #25

See if anyone can find out what odds we would have got before a ball was kicked in the first round of us getting further than united and liverpool i would love to know
Rob249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 23:26   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob249 View Post
See if anyone can find out what odds we would have got before a ball was kicked in the first round of us getting further than united and liverpool i would love to know
Don't imagine its possible rob, but musta been 1000-1 i reckon.
Old 20-01-2010, 00:31   #27
Senior Member+

I was also at Anfield in the 55-56 for our 2-0 loss but we deserved a lot better. I have a funny story about that one but I,ll save it for later.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:37   #28
Resting In Peace

I was at the game against Portsmouth in 1959. The pitch was covered with snow and we played with an orange ball, 0-0 against a then First Division team. As far as I know Stanley have only reached the fourth round three times - in 1927 when they lost 7-2 away at Chelsea, in 1937 when they lost 2-0 away at Man City and in 1959 against Portsmouth. Stanley have never reached the fifth round.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 10:31   #29

records are here:

Football Club History Database - Accrington
Football Club History Database - Accrington Stanley{1**
Football Club History Database - Accrington Stanley

game declared void against WBA and a replay ordered against Sunderland in the 1890s

neutral ground second replay against Lancaster at Deepdale in the 1930s - anybody go to that?

certainly been interesting following our club through the ages
Bradshaw Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 15:32   #30

Jan '59 I'd just turned 15 and was living down south, having been exiled from my Accy birthplace after the 0 - 0 thriller against Southport at Peel Park in Dec '51. I re-call newspaper reports saying Portsmouth were lucky to escape a snowy Peel Park with a 0 - 0. Not having seen my beloved Stanley since '51, I confess that I was a bad lad that day and bunked off school at lunchtime for the train to Portsmouth for the afternoon replay. Train was delayed by signalling problems and it was 3.20ish when I got into the ground. Back then there was no such thing as subs and I found only 9 fit Stanleymen + goalkeeper (McInnes ?) hobbling badly on the right wing. Can't remember who had already been carried off but feel sure we were at least 3 if not 4 goals down. Nevertheless a gutsy display saw us stem the tide and even pull a goal back. Took my punishment for going awol with tremendous pride despite our cup exit.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..