Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2010, 15:46   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Anyone know someone who attended the 1958 game

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if geoffs in yon he may know same age as me, but better memory.
I remember the Portsmouth game.But like you Cashy, can't remember the Fulham game. But I could have been there,we went to most home games.

If anyone can remember the Fulham game, then it has to be Jeff.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2010, 17:54   #32
Senior Member+

Was it Aberdeen Stanley in those days with Galbraith as the Manager?
Not one of the AGS U-15s of '55 were asked to go for a trial, a few were asked to and played for other Lancashire Teams Colts sides, but none were good enough for Mr Galbraith, ifI remember correctly.
Old 20-01-2010, 22:10   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Was it Aberdeen Stanley in those days with Galbraith as the Manager?
Not one of the AGS U-15s of '55 were asked to go for a trial, a few were asked to and played for other Lancashire Teams Colts sides, but none were good enough for Mr Galbraith, ifI remember correctly.
would guess none were good enough Barrie, stanley were a fair owd side back then n walt galbraith was a damn good manager IMHO.
Old 21-01-2010, 13:36   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I remember the Portsmouth game.But like you Cashy, can't remember the Fulham game. But I could have been there,we went to most home games.

If anyone can remember the Fulham game, then it has to be Jeff.
I don't remember Stanley v Fulham I was a bit too young, but I have the programme. It was a friendly match played on 2nd November 1955. As far as I know we have not played Fulham on any other occasion.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:16   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
has anyone seen any internet link to highlights of the game this evening ?
I've found 59 seconds at:
Football | News | FA Cup | Match reports | Report: Accrington Stanley v Gillingham - ITV Sport
MikeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:31   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thats a fair report as well.
Old 21-01-2010, 15:27   #37
Resting in Peace

What year was it when Stanley played PNE at Peel Park, think it might have been a reply, I know I was behind the goals at the school end, it was a terrible night it stair roded it down all night. I think PNE won 4-0 but not sure
Old 21-01-2010, 15:55   #38
Senior Member+

60-61 season.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:33   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What year was it when Stanley played PNE at Peel Park, think it might have been a reply, I know I was behind the goals at the school end, it was a terrible night it stair roded it down all night. I think PNE won 4-0 but not sure
I was in the old stand for that one with my Dad (and maybe Mum and Sis too it was such a special occasion), the first game I ever saw under lights. I can remember an odd thing or two from that night (including 4-0 ), more than from the first drawn game at Deepdale, all I can remember about that one is that I was taken to it and it was 0-0.

Wish I could be at the Crown on Saturday, I'm sure the atmosphere will be fantastic .. for selfish reasons I wouldn't mind a draw and a replay I can get too, but I'll settle for a win and Arsenal away in round 5
Old 21-01-2010, 22:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I was in the old stand for that one with my Dad (and maybe Mum and Sis too it was such a special occasion), the first game I ever saw under lights. I can remember an odd thing or two from that night (including 4-0 ), more than from the first drawn game at Deepdale, all I can remember about that one is that I was taken to it and it was 0-0.

Wish I could be at the Crown on Saturday, I'm sure the atmosphere will be fantastic .. for selfish reasons I wouldn't mind a draw and a replay I can get too, but I'll settle for a win and Arsenal away in round 5
hey Chimer, south coast dreaming, eh - ditto that.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 12:42   #41
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Score at Deepdale was 1-1 Chimer.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 16:04   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
...Deepdale, all I can remember about that one is that I was taken to it and it was 0-0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Score at Deepdale was 1-1 Chimer.
As I was saying, all I can remember about that one is that I was taken to it and it was a draw ....
Old 22-01-2010, 20:49   #43
Senior Member+

I don't remember the Portsmouth match but I was on Peel Park when Stanley played replay against Preston N E on Monday night Jan 9th 1961.
I was nearly nine years old and I remember it was an absolutely foul night, raining and freezing cold. Stanley lost 4 - 0 in front of 14,500 fans after drawing at Preston in front of 25,000 Fans !!! I think 14,500 was the highest ever official attendance at Peel Park. At that time I lived on the council estate at Within Grove, Huncoat where all the Scottish players were housed. I remember Stanley fielding an All Scottish team under Galbraith !! I went to school and knocked about with the children of the likes of Jimmy Harrower, Norrie McCreadie, Armour Ashe etc. It was a great era but sadly fell apart in '62. I carried on watching them in front of very small crowds as an ameteur side in the Lancs Combination, sometimes only about 50 would turn up. Very sad to see the ground disintegrate when as a teenager I went to the Accy Jazz Club on Sturday nights to get drunk and try to find a lass! Played a few games for reserves at age 20 in 1972 after club returned from the ashes. Started watching Stanley again after going to Ewood Park in early nineties against Crewe Alex Over 10,000 on Ewood. Great day and a big boost to Stanley's glorious climb back to the Football League. Conference win was also magic, Woking was FAB and like everbody else I was on the pitch in ECSTACY. Huddersfield and Bournemouth were great but tomorrow could be our greatest day ever!!! Get on to the Crown and lets see the whole of Accrington join the ULTRAS and sing and shout and scream their support for the Boys in Red!!!!!!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..