Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2023, 23:05   #31
God Member

Re: Boreham Wood FA Cup Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Good God. I never thought we were THiS bad.

I don’t have the opportunity to watch Stanley but on very rare occasions such as an FA Cup game broadcast abroad. This was one. I realize that this is not the best version of Stanley, but I honestly thought it was better than this.

Boreham Wood are a couple of Leagues below us, but they were probably better over 90 minutes. Stanley have injury problems, striker problems etc. and most of our players are midfielders or converted midfielders. It would make sense then to me to try to control midfield. That is what a team two Leagues above their opponents would normally do anyway. But not us. We just belted everything 40 yards forward hoping that one of our so called strikers would be there ahead of their faster and younger defenders. Tommy Leigh’s long throws are an asset, but surely that is not our only option forward? In this game it was.

I can see why Coley would try Tommy Leigh up front in the absence of other options, but Sean Whalley? That I do not understand. I am sure he is better than he showed today, but there is not much of a striker in him.

I like Harvey Rodgers, and Ethan Hamilton look a decent player that could do better in a proper midfield role. I also understand why Coley was keen on Pressley. There is something there, but judging by today’s game, he will probably regret moving to Stanley.

Someone wrote on this forum that we needed three new players. I thought that a bit negative at the time, but I do not now.
Probably me about the three players I go to all home games don't do away anymore watch most on Ifollow didn't watch today but I think we have been pretty awful all season Gregor to be honest.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2023, 07:27   #32

Might be wrong but I think only players eligible for the first match can play in replays.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:13   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall View Post
Might be wrong but I think only players eligible for the first match can play in replays.
That seems to be what's in rule 15(f): file:///C:/Users/jmall/Downloads/rules-of-the-fa-challenge-cup-2022-23.pdf
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:37   #34

Stanley or BW are ball number 6 in this afternoon's draw for the 4th round at just after 4pm.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
That seems to be what's in rule 15(f): file:///C:/Users/jmall/Downloads/rules-of-the-fa-challenge-cup-2022-23.pdf
I am no expert on this but my reading of the rules is that the rule only applies to temporary loans and not season loans? Therefore if we sign a loan player for the rest of the season and his parent club agrees then he may be able to play in the replay.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:18   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
The FA Cup 3rd round replay at home to Boreham Wood is on the website now as Tuesday 17th January at 19.45. No information on ticket prices yet.
It is a free game(virtually), it needs to be priced accordingly....

19 Years in the Football League

Last edited by VALAIRIAN; 08-01-2023 at 12:26.
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 13:21   #37

I have no doubt that Mike A is correct, i.e. no new players for the replay, but I hope no one is suggesting that we need new players in order to get past Boreham Wood?

That we need new players not to get relegated is another matter.

But a good start could be to install some belief in the team. Surely they can be made to believe in their ability enough to take the game to a National League side?

Normally there is a clear difference in quality between a League One side and a team from the National League? We are a poor League One side, I know, but the Wood are not running away with their League either. What frustrated me more than anything Yesterday is that we did not try to exploit that difference in quality, probably because we didn’t believe it was there. I hope we do not try to outmuscle them again. That is a wonderful leveller.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 14:03   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

my mate who went said boreham wood were all GIANTS and it made the difference.
Old 08-01-2023, 14:04   #39
Super Moderator

The Clubs have "agreed" to play the game on the 17th of Jan however there are TV ties for replays.

I thought we had a chance of the first game being chosen for overseas coverage and extended highlights.

With regards to player eligibility new signings (of any type) for both clubs after noon on Friday 6th cannot play in the replay.

Players out injured for the 1st game who regain their fitness in the next 9/10 days can play.
Tin Monkey, cashman and yonmon like this.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 15:17   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if we beat boreham we are at home to cardiff or leeds.
andyd likes this.
Old 08-01-2023, 17:00   #41
Full Member+

Would Love It we manage to get through to round 4 and we face Leeds United.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..