Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2021, 10:58   #61
God Member

Re: Bristol Rovers away thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
thats been a stanley problem for the last few seasons. too many players signed who are not up to the standard and only get games in an absolute emergency. a smaller squad with better fringe players would be a better option. in a dire emergency you could put youth players on the bench who would be no worse than the older ones in the squad. its interesting where these players end up that hardly get a kick for us. its non league football and most no where near its top division.
What big squad now Roberts has gone 35 players 7 are loanees and 9 youngsters that leaves a huge 19 man squad 3 of which are over 30 and nearing the end of their careers. The 3 Chelsea loanees are all I believe on more money than our biggest earner. We have achieved this season what no Stanley fan would have dreamed of 1 bad display and we are suddenly not good enough, the academy has produced Savin and Sykes both regulars, hopefully some more will make it and the season is far from over yet.
AccyMad and Tin Monkey like this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2021, 11:03   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
In League 1 we are definitely the underdogs and always will be, unless some faceless entity we've never heard of steams in and takes over with a huge injection of cash. That's not something I personally want to see. Luckily we currently have ownership and management who can handle being underdogs and regularly threaten the overdogs for a while, if probably not for an entire season. Who'd have seriously thought, back in September, that we'd have a realistic shot at the play-offs come the beginning of March?
Coley

MikeA and monkey hanger like this.

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:10   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
What big squad now Roberts has gone 35 players 7 are loanees and 9 youngsters that leaves a huge 19 man squad 3 of which are over 30 and nearing the end of their careers. The 3 Chelsea loanees are all I believe on more money than our biggest earner. We have achieved this season what no Stanley fan would have dreamed of 1 bad display and we are suddenly not good enough, the academy has produced Savin and Sykes both regulars, hopefully some more will make it and the season is far from over yet.
andy we have NOT had 1 bad display this season we have had near half bad displays this season half very good also,
Old 10-03-2021, 11:13   #64

Quote:
part of the squad has achieved the 50 points. we are here in this division on total merit and the past has nothing to do with it. if there is one thing i,d love to change at the wham its the little old stanley attitude and the constant feeling of being the underdog which many thrive on.
Bit unfair Monkey, but if that's your view.

They all train together and compete to be in the starting eleven or on the bench. Surely you're not suggesting we should analyse every game and record the points gained or lost by the players.......or look at individual good passes and mistakes made?

As for the past not being important.......well I just don't agree. I know my past has shaped the person I am today, the decisions I make, my actions and how I deal with and treat people who I come into contact with.

What team should Coley pick for Saturday, assuming Charles just has a knock and is fit but the other's out injured remain unavailable? Just interested?
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:26   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Bit unfair Monkey, but if that's your view.

They all train together and compete to be in the starting eleven or on the bench. Surely you're not suggesting we should analyse every game and record the points gained or lost by the players.......or look at individual good passes and mistakes made?

As for the past not being important.......well I just don't agree. I know my past has shaped the person I am today, the decisions I make, my actions and how I deal with and treat people who I come into contact with.

What team should Coley pick for Saturday, assuming Charles just has a knock and is fit but the other's out injured remain unavailable? Just interested?
Seeing as we aren't privy to whom is fit surely the regulars can't all collectively play as poorly again, would personally take Russell out doesn't offer anything especially upfront would play Smyth alongside Charles and put McConville wide.
cashman likes this.
Old 10-03-2021, 15:30   #66

Jon Russel obviously told to play forward last night at Bristol. When Coley plays players out of position he usually gives them a few chances to try and make it work, unless he has other options. If Colby is not available on Saturday I wouldn't be surprised if Coley persists with Tuesday's unsuccessful formation and starting 11. There may be one or two training sessions to work on it?

With key players missing I would always revert to a simple 4-4-2 which gives a narrower more compact style with less scope for gaps to open up in midfield and at the back. However, we will all just have to wait until Saturday to find out........
Old 11-03-2021, 09:30   #67
God Member

Quote:
Jon Russel obviously told to play forward last night at Bristol. When Coley plays players out of position he usually gives them a few chances to try and make it work, unless he has other options. If Colby is not available on Saturday I wouldn't be surprised if Coley persists with Tuesday's unsuccessful formation and starting 11. There may be one or two training sessions to work on it?

With key players missing I would always revert to a simple 4-4-2 which gives a narrower more compact style with less scope for gaps to open up in midfield and at the back. However, we will all just have to wait until Saturday to find out........
Well this morning Coleman has said no forward players available from the squad or under 23,s for the MK Dons game so 4-5-1 might come in with Smyth as the lone ranger.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:38   #68
God Member

[QUOTE=Crown Grounder;

knew i,d get some stick from somewhere with my post. think a football club is far different from peoples pasts in life. having a bad start in life does not mean you should carry on your life in the same way. might be different to most who post on here and how i view stanley. imagine there will be plenty of others nowadays who are like me and have only ever known stanley as a football league club. as the years go on there will be more and more the same. still think there is too much little old stanley attitude battling against adversity at the wham. does this happen at morecambe and others with low attendances. it certainly wasn,t the case at hartlepool in the 80,s who would have loved attendances of stanleys level back in the day.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:12   #69

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1251433][QUOTE=Crown Grounder;

knew i,d get some stick from somewhere with my post. think a football club is far different from peoples pasts in life. having a bad start in life does not mean you should carry on your life in the same way. might be different to most who post on here and how i view stanley. imagine there will be plenty of others nowadays who are like me and have only ever known stanley as a football league club. as the years go on there will be more and more the same. still think there is too much little old stanley attitude battling against adversity at the wham. does this happen at morecambe and others with low attendances. it certainly wasn,t the case at hartlepool in the 80,s who would have loved attendances of stanleys level back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Good point about being back in the League many years now. And even with that success we still can't grow a much bigger fan base. Even though Andy is doing his best...
Old 11-03-2021, 10:21   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Well this morning Coleman has said no forward players available from the squad or under 23,s for the MK Dons game so 4-5-1 might come in with Smyth as the lone ranger.
That's why I think we'll see Russell up front again........is Smyth fit?
Old 11-03-2021, 15:54   #71
Full Member+

[QUOTE=Crown Grounder;1251435]
Quote:

Good point about being back in the League many years now. And even with that success we still can't grow a much bigger fan base. Even though Andy is doing his best...
Is that Andy Holt or Andy D off here
andyd likes this.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 17:18   #72

I meant Holty.........
Old 11-03-2021, 17:28   #73
God Member

[QUOTE=ferret man;1251438]
Quote:

Is that Andy Holt or Andy D off here
I,m trying my best honest.
Crown Grounder likes this.
Old 12-03-2021, 08:14   #74
God Member

[QUOTE=Crown Grounder;1251435]
Quote:

think our fanbase has grown to some extent. the problem is it got down to not much more than a thousand at one time. clubs that get say 10,000 and increase it by 10 per cent brings more in than a 10 per cent increase at the wham. at least attendances were going the right way back in the days we could attend. some clubs have had the opposite at their place.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:36   #75
God Member

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1251453]
Quote:

think our fanbase has grown to some extent. the problem is it got down to not much more than a thousand at one time. clubs that get say 10,000 and increase it by 10 per cent brings more in than a 10 per cent increase at the wham. at least attendances were going the right way back in the days we could attend. some clubs have had the opposite at their place.
If and it's a big if we got into the championship would we have 23 full houses, we would certainly need them for any rise in budget, back to this season current data suggests " average" wage in league 1 £4753 a week times that by 20 man squad bill £4943120. Our wage bill is approx £1500000 so a third roughly of "average" our highest earner again according to data £1400 a week we really if money talks have no right to be in the league never mind knocking on the Championship door Coleman and co do an incredible job why no club comes hunting for him is baffling.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..