Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2010, 18:59   #61
God Member

Re: Cheltenham Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie
Ryan, Gornell and Turner (once he got switched to his proper position) the only players that came out of today with any credit.
I thought Luke Joyce had a good game. He deserves to start the next one after his performance today.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2010, 19:10   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
28: stanley goal disallowed for offside - Gornell flicked in Barnett's low cross, but it won't count
It was Macca, not Terry, it was a really cheeky back heel type flick, which was onside and was a goal!!! Liner = ******!!!!! But, not as bad as ref!!!!!

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 19:16   #63
God Member

Exclamation Re: Cheltenham Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
from what I saw;

believe it or not Stanley were the better side today. Or did Cheltenham just allow us to stroke it about?

Cisak never made a save, nor did they miss anything. I await the official stats but practrically every attempt they had went in. The big galoot up front for them (10?) did next to nowt but what he did do, undo us every time. We conceded a silly amount of goals in a few games but replaced a goalkeeper who everyhbody seemed to think was blameless for another who is less experienced. We are still conceding so the blame is either with the defenders or the midfield for not protecting.

IMHO the midfield are next to blameless as todays goals at leaszt were the result or threaded balls either over or between defenders. This seems to be a common problem, either we learn to attack the ball properly when its in the air, or we learn to stand off and defend. At the moment we are doing neither.

Up front. We have nowt. None of the strikers available to us are capable of playing the one up front game, so drop it. Let's have a look and see if any combination of Gornell (rated by most) and Boulding, McConville or Lindfield in some sort of effective combination in a more orthodox 4-4-2.

Jimmy Ryan - every time I see this lad play I feel sorry for him. He is by far and away too good for us. He has 100% effort, 100% application. He plays the right way and tries to thread balls through to players that can't read the pass. He tackles, he wins the ball , he wants to shoot (and can) but players aren't pulling defenders away to make the room for him to have a go.

I've got more say but I won't
Spot on about Jimmy Macca, cannot see him being at Stanley on Valantines day!!!!!!

Old 30-10-2010, 19:28   #64
Senior Member+

Me neither, he's running the show every game.

Fingers crossed we can keep him till the end of the season at least
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 19:45   #65

Would love to see 4 4 2 from the start not when we are getting beat. Why not start with an attacking side. Use the wings and run at sides and play the players in their best positions. Jimmy again my mom today, how any defender could have got the accolade beats me a real poor defensive display by all. We have a real toughie on Tuesday so lets hope Coleman gets it right.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 19:45   #66
God Member

Unhappy Re: Cheltenham Thread

Today, we were devoid of drive, passion, leadership, direction, fight and ideas!!! Apart from The Brazilian, we looked below average Sunday League..... Hess, looked like a fish out of water at LB, Smyth just is not up to it I am afraid - he is only a kid, Mr. Consistant is struggling to keep it up at the moment, Macca/Joyce/Parky, just not at the races. I was pleased to see Chris coming on with more than 5 mins to play, but I hate to say, he was not much better than the rest.

I cannot believe how much we have missed Proc and Bateson, Thank goodness that along with Putters, they will be available next game. We have to stop the rot and get some points on the board!!!!!

Old 30-10-2010, 20:11   #67

I would question the value of playing a full strength team against Bolton reserves on Wednesday night. Cheltenham looked a yard sharper all over the pitch having had a full week without a match and several Stanley players put in very tired performances.

Too often Stanley players were just "shrugged" off the ball by more determined, stronger and frankly fitter opposition.

Tuesdays match with Chesterfield is a bit too soon for my liking, i just hope they go into the game with a bit of complacency and Stanley can take advantage. I expect to see at least 3 fresh players back in the line up following their enforced rests. What i wouldn't give for a 0-0 draw!!
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:38   #68
Resting in Peace

[quote=Larry Lobster;856902]I would question the value of playing a full strength team against Bolton reserves on Wednesday night. Cheltenham looked a yard sharper all over the pitch having had a full week without a match and several Stanley players put in very tired performances.

Too often Stanley players were just "shrugged" off the ball by more determined, stronger and frankly fitter opposition.

quote]

Spot on there, oh Red One!
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 20:47   #69
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ive never been convinced wi that argument Larry, players are supposed to be fitter now than ever,according to the experts? they used to play more games back when they weren't! 3 at easter,4 oer xmas, plus more games per season. so how does that work out? fer my money they played the wrong game, larruping the ball upfield to the Cheltenham defense who won virtually every ball, being big lads against garden gnomes, early season was much more balls to feet, which suits our lads imho.
Old 30-10-2010, 23:43   #70
bdc

I thought the overall performance was very poor today, it all seemed to stem from a lack of communication at the back. Cisak was very poor in his decision making today which was summed up best when threw the ball out to Chris and it went out for a throw in. I was surprised that Kevin Long didn't start at the back at least not just for his height and I think playing Leam Richardson at full back would've probably helped us with the link up play to the midfield.

Our main strength comes from when we retain possession and pass the ball with patience and accuracy. This was completely missing today, too many times we hoofed the ball up front and never won the balls in midfield. There were a good few kicks done by Cisak that went straight to their goalkeeper and there were very few roaming runs by the full backs or any link up play with the wingers. I thought that Chris Turner put in two very good crosses that were begging to be put away, he did more in 40 minutes than Sean did for 90 minutes. In my eyes I think it is criminal that he hasn't been given a start this season, how can anyone make an impact on a game when he is only given 15 minutes here and there?

I also find it strange that Bavs has been dropped, he has been in the form of his life this season and has done very little wrong. I think we have certainly missed Bateson especially for his roaming runs and his link up play with the midfield. I think it is critical that we get some sort of result at Chesterfield otherwise I fear our promotion bid will well and truly go out of the window.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 23:46   #71
bdc

We should have also been chasing balls down much quicker and playing a faster tempo, this is another of our strengths that we didn't adhere to today.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 01:20   #72
Full Member+

Pretty dismal today. Left before final whistle for the first time in a long while.
First time I've seen Cisak and can't agree with Macca (Cisak never made a save - post 53). He made a fantastic save from free kick in first half when 2-0 down tipping thunderbolt over bar ( you must have gone to the john) . At that stage if we'd gone three down it would have been game over. He also made a couple of decent stops 2nd half. Don't think the keeper was 'awful' Shaker, he's got his kicking and throwing to sort out but let's remember this is only his second full game - give the guy a chance. After all, Bavs has had about two years to come good. Keeper was badly let down by defence today, first two goals Hessey well exposed at LB. Thought Smyth did ok without being spectacular and so was Winnard.
Where has the passing game gone with ball players like Barnett, Ryan and Joyce in midfield ? Why lump it forward to shortasses like Parkinson and McConville against six footers ? Me no follow.
Five stars to Jimmy Ryan for his effort , class and determination ...hope he gets some help from Putterill in next game

Last edited by Reamer; 31-10-2010 at 01:23.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 08:47   #73
Full Member+

Sorry BDC. Cannot agree about Chris Turner. Those of us who don't see him through tinted glasses were watching closely after he came on and, believe it or not, his first NINE passes went to blue shirts. It was only when he moved out to the right (where he could do less damage, maybe) that he started to release the ball with any accuracy. I really don't think he's the answer.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 08:58   #74
God Member

Maybe you have answered your own question in a way Oldgobbin in that you play people in their natural position?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 09:01   #75
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
Sorry BDC. Cannot agree about Chris Turner. Those of us who don't see him through tinted glasses were watching closely after he came on and, believe it or not, his first NINE passes went to blue shirts. It was only when he moved out to the right (where he could do less damage, maybe) that he started to release the ball with any accuracy. I really don't think he's the answer.
I agree with BDC. Ok, his first few minutes were abysmal, but in his natural position raiding down the right he poses a real threat. He takes people on, is hard to dispossess and is not afraid to put his foot in, unlike another winger I could mention.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..