Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 17:00   #61
Senior Member+

Re: Chesterfield Thread

When we were 2-0 down at Barnet .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
C'mon - get one and they're bound to panic ...
Bet some Spireite message boarder said something similar about us today - only got it right
Old 03-01-2011, 17:10   #62
Senior Member+

Gutted , absolutely gutted. Feels like a loss

HOWEVER, if we play like we did for the 1st 45 mins for the rest of the season we could easily mount a playoff push.

Yes Spirites where sluggush to start but make no mistake, we literally played the best team off the park for 45 mins + of the game and thats no easy thing to do.

As for Long & Edwards, they were magnificent and did not deserve that.

Bring on the shakers I say !
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:15   #63

To be honest I would have taken a point before the match, but we gave them a football lesson in the first half and if our chances had gone in we could easily have been 4 up at half time, as for the penalty god knows what went on there as the ref pointed straight to the spot then seemed to change his mind I think it was something to do with the liner on the cowshed side.
Yet again we were the masters of our own downfall it was obvious to a blind man they would come at us in the second half and for the first 15 minutes they had a lot of the ball but produced nothing really and the reds started to play the passing game as they had in the first half but we were playing to deep in my opinion.
Thought Long and Edwards were excellent today, Barnett also played well and Craney tormented their defence and was unlucky not to score.
As for substitutions to little to late for me considering the lack of competitive football played over the last month, McConville should have gone off 20 minutes before he did and Richardson,Hessey or Joyce should have come on to bolster the defence.
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:42   #64
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Sorry, but I don't really understand these two comments in the context of surrendering a two goal lead.

Did you see the game RR ? I felt some of the football played by Stanley was outstanding and in that context would like to see a similar performance against Bury
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 18:19   #65
God Member

This is a funny one as we left a few minutes before the end as we had to be somewhere

At that point I was euphoric as we had given a huge footballing lesson to the side currently sitting top of the League.

By the time we reached the car the Spireites had pulled one back & by the time we were on the M65 they had equalised.

As Smudgie said Gutted is perhaps not a strong enough word for the feeling driving back after that.

Positives super passing and flowing movement in the first half with really controlled stuff pushing & probing all the time and in fairness we could have been 4-0 up.

Humble pie time for me I think Craney was superb for the first forty five minutes pivotal in everything that was good with that first half performance.

Which was as good as I have seen this season.

At half-time there was a feeling between us that a third was neccessary to put the game to bed and to expect a Spireite onslaught particulary the first 15-20 minutes of the second half but it did not really come.

I felt for Jacobson as after he was booked as he was walking a tightrope in terms of perhaps challenges and maybe the change should have come then with going five at the back and taking off a midfielder?

But as I did not see the two goals we conceded hard for me to pick holes in what was an otherwise superb team performance.

Glad the flags were back, strange atmosphere at times as you could feel the tension in the crowd particulary second half.

Daft as it may seem overall I think there were more positives to take from today's display than there was from the game at Morecambe on Saturday.

But that's football it's all about opinions

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 18:42   #66

Fantastic first half performance especially Edwards and Long (we must try to keep him), Thought Joyce would have been a better sub at 2 - 0 up to keep possesion as there were tired legs out there. Gutted at result but would have taken a point before game.Still feel 2 points lost not one gained IMHO.
new red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 19:11   #67
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

still can't believe we lost a 2 goal lead to a lack lust top of the league team,out played and going nowhere and finishes 2-2
Old 03-01-2011, 19:46   #68

we did it again 10 mins left . should have put the over subs on to break the time up. we never do
Grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 19:49   #69
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimps View Post
we did it again 10 mins left . should have put the over subs on to break the time up. we never do
Your not wrong there Grimps your not wrong.....
Old 03-01-2011, 19:51   #70

I am too gutted to say anything constructive, I wonder what price I could have got for a two all draw.
caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 19:55   #71
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Did you see the game RR ? I felt some of the football played by Stanley was outstanding and in that context would like to see a similar performance against Bury
No, I didn't see this one. Quite honestly, I would not want to see two points given away against Bury - or against any other team. So, had I been at today's game, I think I would prefer to see a better performance against Bury. Outstanding performance it may have been - it earned only a point. I have not seen Manchester United play either (apart from highlights on "Match of the Day"), but by all accounts they are not playing well. Yet they are unbeaten.

Let me put it another way. I would be happy with a far worse performance against Bury, as long as we come away with three points.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 20:03   #72
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Let me put it another way. I would be happy with a far worse performance against Bury, as long as we come away with three points.
OK, I know where you are coming from, but it was fabulous to watch while it lasted. We really deserve 3 or 4,000 gates playing like this, but Accrington doesn't seem to know we have a football team. Mind you, no advertising posters around town tells it's own story.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 20:09   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
We really deserve 3 or 4,000 gates playing like this, but Accrington doesn't seem to know we have a football team. Mind you, no advertising posters around town tells it's own story.
I think the reasons for that are well known. We used to put the poster up in the shop
Old 03-01-2011, 20:34   #74
Full Member+

Quote:
No, I didn't see this one. Quite honestly, I would not want to see two points given away against Bury - or against any other team. So, had I been at today's game, I think I would prefer to see a better performance against Bury. Outstanding performance it may have been - it earned only a point. I have not seen Manchester United play either (apart from highlights on "Match of the Day"), but by all accounts they are not playing well. Yet they are unbeaten.

I'm not advocating giving two points away against Bury. That's being pedantic. I'm also sure that most of us would have said before the game that if we could get three points regardless of the performance we'd take it.
However, given the performance, which on merit deserved a win , I'm proud of the way Stanley played today and if they continued to play like that , I'm convinced they'd win more games than they would lose and attract (eventually - because of a growing reputation for playing attractive passing football) better crowds to the Crown.
Dreamer you may say , RR, not Reamer. It really does feel like we lost the game today though, because we played that well and I'll be interested to read Coley's take on it, but I'll take a repeat performance against Bury with , of course, a win.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 20:38   #75
God Member

Quote:

I understand to a degree what you mean but I think we got out of jail at Morecambe particulary in the second half but today was a built on in terms of performance from that game with a real team effort.

If we can show the guile & level of committment we showed today matched with the bit of luck we possibly had on Saturday well who knows...

Then the good times may be just around the corner

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..