Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2008, 20:04   #16
Senior Member+

Re: coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
If the needle get's stuck you change the record
Bravo, well said that man.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-04-2008, 20:12   #17

I've bought my season ticket for next season so I think I have the right to pass comment on the goings on over the past few weeks. Mr Coleman is a man without hope. He stands looking forlorn in the technical area with not a word of advice to his players. He claims the officials are to blame, or was it the wind/pitch/floodlights/etc. He has a profession to go to as a Primary School Teacher (mind he will have to moderate his language a little). So, of he goes to play golf.....did the players carry on training??
Having said all that here is my opinion, he as to go, to be replaced by someone like Paul Cook or Colin Hendry to name but two. I am sure Stanley would attract a number of managers and may even encourage some new investment if they thought there was the prospect of change. I would consider putting a few quid into the club if I thought they were serious about staging a challenge in Div 2!!(subject to approval from the Management ..... the wife)
fettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:39   #18

time for him to go
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:44   #19

Well, you guys go every week and I am but a mere exile (looking forward to Luton next season, though). Changing the manager might help a little, but on gates of hardly anything, it's probably going to take a bit of investment to push on. Any sign of any?
BedsRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 21:50   #20
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I said I'd wait until the end of the season but sod it - COLEMAN OUT

I'd sack Alex Ferguson as well !!!

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 20-04-2008 at 21:52.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 21:55   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I'd sack Alex Ferguson as well !!!

Unless you have witnessed a meeting between Eric and Sir Alex in the Dunkenhalgh I'm not convinced he's even been offered the job yet. He's a bit of a rookie so give him at least a season to have a try
Old 20-04-2008, 22:06   #22

Were do we think we as a club should be?
Premiership,Championship,League 1, League 2, Conference or even lower?
Its frustrating that the club has been a mid bottom league 2 team after the success JC has brought us. I think we are punching above our weight in this league and its frustrating to say that.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 23:16   #23
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Accrington stanley are in L2 on merrit as conferences champions as are other teams that have come up,either as champ's or by the play offs,its a hard league as we know and its no different for other teams ,lady luck the rub of the green call it what you want we an't had much if any latley, if all season.
Old 21-04-2008, 05:59   #24

it wasnt luck we where short of on sat it was tatics . we need fresh ideas
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 06:37   #25
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

If Whalleys shoot had hit the back of the net in stead of bouncing of the bar and a couple of one on ones with the keeper late on had gone our way,but thats bin our season mist chances poor defending in depth..Roscoe shouldn't have bin aloud to leave no matter how much was on offer,Mcgivern should have been given a run in the team after he went...
Old 21-04-2008, 07:50   #26
Senior Member+

As most people know from my threads, I always tend to be somewhat ambivalent in the
' What shall we do with COLEY ?' argument.
Whilst being in agreement with al those who quite rightly laud some of his past achievements ( Which are rapidly fading into distant memory now!)....I still find it difficult to warm towards the man, his Man Management style, his demeanour, and his overall attitude towards the Fans in particular.
I ask myself is it this feeling which pervades the thinking of most of us who wear our hearts on our sleeve on this Forum which has created the 'cleft-stick' situation which we regularly bemoan. ( DM included !...Hasn't his new-found riches reawakened his fervour!!).
It is a dilemma which can not be solved by an immediate termination of JC's involvement
with the Reds...nor can such abysmal performances, as witnessed on Saturday, bring about the hoped-for revival of Soccermania in Accrington and it's surrounds.
So the wheel turns !, and in my opinion it will require the influence of someone Management-wise, who so obviously doesn't exist yet at the FES!, to put the brake on
where current failure is concerned, and to steer it in a new, exciting and successful direction !.
No organisation having a true raison d'etre, would allow itself to fall into a quagmire of apathy which will eventually drag it downwards towards eventual failure.
But, as we can all see from our postings, this unacceptable situation does appear to present itself as a real and palpable entity !...you can almost taste it!
So, in this cleft-stick and on the horns of such a dilemma, whatever we fans think about the status-quo doesn't really matter !. The problem is truly of Macro proportions and can only be cured by the introduction of more appropriate management at the highest levels at the Club !.
I love Accrington Stanley, I have done for years !, and I don't want to see a team which on Saturday last, as they totally capitulated against Barnet, appeared to be in it's death throes. Being managed by an individual who truly did resemble a dead man walking.
My plea is that those who are in a position to change all this, do strive to Manage the Club towards success, rather than the 'anything is good enough' stance which is so much in evidence at the present time.

'Quo Vadis Stanley ?'
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 10:15   #27
Senior Member+

on a more serious note.
I a big JC fan 0- but this season his limitations have been shown.
The most obvious being his inability to change the system, instead his fondess to accomodate certain players and certain types of players simply wont work with all the best will in the world.
Ok - he has no money, and not big wages to offer.
But, the squad he assembled is not flexible or adaptable - and the tactics are just to obvious. Plus, as all teams have learnt from the conference - league 2 is alot more physical - and yet, are squad on the whole do not match up physically.
All the constant talk about the defence - the tactic of sitting high up the field is always going to leave defenders more vunerable.
While I think he should remain in the job, I do hope he has a long look at this season where I can see no signs of progress.
An increasingly obvious sign throughout the season, is the dis-loyalty between the players. A divide house/relationship/football team will never conquer but fall. He must make this his number 1 aim.
Our 1st year back may have been closer to relegation, but the way we play and the amount of goals we scored made it entertianing.
This season, I can count only 4 games where I have seen a good performance.
If it wasnt for Bradford and Wycombe away, I would be really disheartened.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 16:22   #28

well done for taking us up john but i think you have done all you can . your a very good non league manager but not a good league one . let go of the cord and spit your dummy out and leave .
most teams that we play arnt great teams just better organised and fitter . we have good players just no one to organise them
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2008, 22:52   #29
Full Member+

Up to now I've resisted the temptation to post on threads relating to the Coleman / Bell situation. I've followed the many related threads with great interest, even posting on a few, previously supporting Coleman and stating that he should be given a chance to turn things around. But Saturday's result was "the straw that broke my camel's back" as far as posting on these threads go so to speak.

A look at the league table and a glance at our attendances at home spells out the problems in plain and simple terms....

1 ) We've lost the most home games throughout the whole football league.. Out of a possible 66 points that could have been gleaned from the 22 home games up to now, we've picked up 22 points. Out of the teams in League 2 only Wrexham have scored fewer goals at home. We have also lost the most games in the whole league and picked up the fewest draws.Not much use on the old pools coupon I know but without the much improved away form this season we'd be heading back to the Blue Square / Conference with the Dragons.

2) We also hold the unenvyable record of having the most goals scored against us in the whole of the football league. Goals against in the last two seasons totalls nearly 160 league goals. Despite Coleman and Bells best efforts, the solution to this problem still awaits to be found.

3) Since New Years day, out of a possible 63 points available we've managed to pick up 16 points. In those 21 games we've only managed to score 19 goals. Take away the six that we've scored against Chester in two games and the 3 against Morecambe and that means we've scored just 10 in the other 18 games. All this equates to Relegation form. Fortunately we've dodged the bullet again this season.

In all probability, Coleman and Bell will be given the opportunity to try and put things right. Prior to Christmas, our esteemed chairman gave Coleman six games and then " he would evaluate the progress made ". To look at the facts presented in this post, it becomes all too clear, that save for managing to stay up again not a lot of progress has been made.

True enough, expectation has been raised due to numerous years of unprecedented success achieved under Coleman's stewardship. Granted we are probably punching way above our weight given the resources currently available.

Our Chairman must now take a long hard look at the statistics, look at the resources available and make a crucial decision.....Back him/them or Sack him/them. I know that we havent got a bottomless pit into which we can delve but over the coming months these problems MUST be addressed.

Personally speaking,I'd give Coleman & Bell a chance to sort things out over the summer.I'd also think SERIOUSLY about bringing in an experienced head to work alongside Coleman & Bell, somebody who knows the lower leagues and has the technical nouse to point out to them both what is lacking, what needs improving and more to the point can identify prospective new signings of the calibre needed to push the club forwards. Stan Ternent would fit the bill perfectly. Granted he's at Derby as No2 to Jewell. During the Conference winning season I saw Stan stood near the Changing rooms a couple of times, maybe if he's still got some form of connection with the club,maybe he could be approached to assist Coleman & Bell in some capacity,even if it's only part time or in an advisory capacity. If Mr Ternent (which in all likelyhood) is not available then maybe look for a similiar character. On this point I'd applaud the club in securing Asa Hartford's services, but IF the club is to stick with Coleman & Bell, It's my own personal opinion, but I feel we'd benefit no end from somebody with Ternent's credentials or somebody similiar.

I think that signing Kempson is a MUST. Signing additional firepower is a MUST.Hanging on to Kenny Arthur is a MUST. Getting rid of the dead wood will probable free up funds for signing replacements, but these replacements whoever they may be,will have to be of a suitable quality in order to keep pushing the club forward. I think we're making a mistake if Webb,Brown and McGivern are allowed to leave and I think Mannix and King should be given a chance. Maybe give all five the last two games to prove their worth.

Simply put, If the current problems ARE NOT resolved, then next season the club might not be as lucky. The current apathy shown by the local public will only worsen, crowds will continue to dwindle and the club will slide back into the obscurity of Non League Football again.

And all the hard work and endevour, all the progress made in recent years will be meaningless.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

Last edited by carpon; 21-04-2008 at 22:54. Reason: typo
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:06   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
We also hold the unenvyable record of having the most goals scored against us in the whole of the football league.
Small consolation in the context of the post but that record went on Saturday to Colchester

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..