Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2011, 21:14   #46
God Member

Re: Crawley Town match thread.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis316 View Post
Remember this? "the Pilgrims clawed themselves level on points with fellow strugglers Wrexham and Accrington — the latter now also under Football League scrutiny for allegedly using Preston work experience loanee Chris McGrail and another as yet unnamed other player in a separate instance, both as ineligible players. It is expected points deductions will be imposed if Accrington are found guilty. Reflecting on the issue overall, manager Steve Evans said: “Our win over Bristol was vital. Now we have to concentrate on nine more massive matches ahead. We know the situation affecting Accrington and the fact that they are likely to lose points. But all we can do is concern ourselves with matters that are directly under our control. The most important thing, when all is said and done, is that Boston United as a club remains in the Football League."

Thankfully on that occasion the rules were not applied as he predicted and the forecast points deduction was seen off by our brief Mr Bean.

From memory didn't they also throw in the administration card at half tie in their last game
Old 29-10-2011, 21:23   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
From memory didn't they also throw in the administration card at half tie in their last game
I remember at the Milton Keynes match I attended the same day there was a joke about them having an accountant on the bench ready to file for administration. Not funny for the fans of Boston though - a lot of good people.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 08:05   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige b View Post
Dave agree fella the man is a disgusting fat greedy corrupt scumbag and should not be allowed in our so called beautiful game
And, having just viewed his sad and cringe-creating bleatings on TV...I couldn't agree more Nige !....
Does nothing at all for the image of Division Two and for Soccer in general, and for him as a man !.

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 08:31   #49
Senior Member+

Went the game yesterday and must say a nice little set up with decent fans and stewards.
Now to the game!,Acci went with a game plan to keep there shape and condense the play so not giving them any room to play.
It was similar to the Shrews game really,the centre backs were superb again,muphy was solid and scored a great goal.
McIntyre was again exposed early on but with Coid in front of him,got a bit of help.
Coid is clearly not match fit and certainly not a wide midfielder,but did ok.
Bav pulled off a few decent saves and his kicking game was excellent.
Spray upfront tried his best,and was better than last week,but again lost possesion too many times.
Now for the negatives!!!,once again,in proccy,joycy,paddy and charlie,we out-numbered them in central areas but you wouldnt have guessed.
Indeed,who is the tackling/ball winner?,I just couldnt see one,indeed we kept losing challengies too often.
Maybe its time to try McIntyre in there,to fire them up.
If you watch the goal they scored,there centre mid just run into an area that had all four in it,and all just switched off.
All in all,a point was a great result,but as the shrews game,areas need addressing,being positive when they have the ball.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 09:54   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Indeed,who is the tackling/ball winner? .....
If you watch the goal they scored,there centre mid just run into an area that had all four in it,and all just switched off.
Exactly what I thought upon seeing the goal mate. I think it's more a matter of concentration. Winning teams keep concentrating on tracking their runners, marking their men etc until the end and we are not one.

In hindsight a great point away from home at the league leaders and encouraging that we stopped their play for large parts of the game. I hope the team take the positives out of the game and get some confidence to give them that extra 10% needed to finish off a game.

Good goal by Peter, well crafted by Charlie.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 11:26   #51
Senior Member+

Shaker,we know we can play the ball around,but we should look at Jimmy Ryan on how to chase/close down the opposition and regain the ball,Otherwise,you may as well go two upfront,and have a real go.
Old 30-10-2011, 11:29   #52
Senior Member+

I would also love to see Mcintyre in the middle of the park, like he played for Shrewsbury, hard as nails !!!

Hopefully Tom Bender could then slot in at Left Back, as he is quick as lightening, exactly what we need in my opinion.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 11:32   #53
Senior Member+

My god smudgie,your a mind reader!!,spooky that
Old 30-10-2011, 14:06   #54
Senior Member+

Here's me two penn'orth on yesterday. We had a game plan that worked well and yet again it was a good team effort. Crawley really put us under enormous pressure in the second half but our defence held out well.

The only negative for me was James Spray. He was never in the game at all and has nothing like the energy of Kurtis Guthrie.

Bavs made 3 magnificent saves and I think it's time for the Bavs bashers to back off now.

One oddity at the ground is that the away supporters wanting to sit down are given seats amongst the home fans so it was interesting to hear their perceptions. A few verbatim quotes I overheard from the Crawley fans near me:
"If they had a good striker. they would be in the top six".
"Their number 6 (Proccy) is one of the best defensive midfielders we've seen this season".
"Aren't they well organised?"
"No wonder they don't lose many away games".

That was an interesting comment about Proccy and it was backed up by a couple of the Crawley fans who were chatting to me in the bus queue. They clearly rated him much better than some people who post on here.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 15:42   #55
God Member

Wink Re: Crawley Town match thread.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Here's me two penn'orth on yesterday.......... A few verbatim quotes I overheard from the Crawley fans near me:

"If they had a good striker. they would be in the top six".
this season".

"Their number 6 (Proccy) is one of the best defensive midfielders we've seen!

"No wonder they don't lose many away games".

That was an interesting comment about Proccy and it was backed up by a couple of the Crawley fans who were chatting to me in the bus queue. They clearly rated him much better than some people who post on here.
In the words of Joni Mitchell

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot.

Some good points RR, also like to hear the thoughts/opinions of other FANs, as we far too often misjudge what we see....

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 15:43   #56
Senior Member+

RR agree about Bavs and Spray,but Proccy, I presume you watched the game,is that how you saw it ?.
Acci played 4-5-1 and them playing two up front and two wide,we had extra numbers in the middle and although hes a willing worker,did you recall him winning a tackle?,I saw him lose a few and got beat in the air by a 5-5 giant !!!,
I just think hes not reached his performance level of last season and needs a kick up the arse !!!.
Also i dont think Guthrie is the answer at the moment,I would try Almond which would make us play on the deck more
Old 30-10-2011, 16:13   #57
Resting in Peace

[QUOTE=VALAIRIAN;943679]In the words of Joni Mitchell

‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise

Crown ground going to be a car park now, is it Val? Suppose it's from your usual impeccable source inside the club?
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 16:14   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
I presume you watched the game
Strange comment, football19. Yes, I did watch the game - that's why I happened to be sat amongst the Crawley fans who were also watching. I thought Proccy played very well indeed and he made at least one crucial tackle (see 4.34 on the live text, by the way). I realise from your previous postings that you are not a Proccy fan but I think he does an excellent job for the team.

Unlike you, I tend to watch players, not formations so the 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-2-1, 4-4-2 business leaves me cold. I watch individual players making space for themselves, covering for colleagues, harrying the opposition, etc etc.

And I've said before that Kurtis Guthrie deserves and would definitely benefit from a longer spell in the team.

Last edited by Revived Red; 30-10-2011 at 16:17.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 16:29   #59
God Member

Exclamation Re: Crawley Town match thread.......

[QUOTE=Redraine;943687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
In the words of Joni Mitchell

‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise

Crown ground going to be a car park now, is it Val? Suppose it's from your usual impeccable source inside the club?
I take it you will be at the Bristol game, we shall talk about it there...

19 Years in the Football League

VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 18:16   #60
Senior Member+

RR, I think we will just diagree on this one!!,If you read my previous posts I have always been a fan of Proccys,but i dont think hes got anywhere near last years performance levels.
Him being subbed in the previous games suggest others also think the same.
When we lost most of the better players this season,It was always going to be a tough ask to drive the team on as well as being the captain.
Watching him play,he was excellent in the air,but this season his timing seems to be a bit off.
Your right about me watching formations/shape, patterns of play etc..,Unfortunatley thats what I enjoy!!,its a bad habit I have.
With young Guthrie,I just cant see his style fitting in (switches off to easily),and he is one who is suffering by having no reserve team.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..