Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 20:35   #1
Full Member+

Darwen FC: A call to ALL football fans!

130 Years of History may come to an end tomorrow in the small town of Darwen!!

6years ago we lost Crown Wallcoverings over 500 Jobs.
This year we may lose Crown Paints (300 Jobs) and Darwen FC

Darwen Fc are not everybodys cup of tea, currently playing in the Vodkat league division 2. Thing were plodding along until last season when the last owner Mr Ted Ward ran debts up not just in the town, all over the county. Mr Ward was locked out of the ground last summer when it turned out he'd only paid £20000 of the £90000 offered to current owner Mr Henry for the club and was subsequently kicked out.

The now has (after many) a winding up order from a Hire company for £9000. A days wage for many premier league players.

Me Grimps, Afrikanaar and Uncle (Carbuncle) Les are going to go down and are urging all stanley fans to come down and lend there support. Weather permitting of course.

We will be in full Stanley colours and scarfs.

Match is Vs AFC Blackpool 3:00pm KO

Club no. 777800

Leave M65 at JCT 4 and follow signs to Darwen Town Centre. Turn Left before Anchor Pub Ground is at the end of the road.

Lock your cars and hide all valuables lol

Would be great to see you all there!!
Old 06-02-2009, 20:51   #2
God Member

Re: Darwen FC: A call to ALL football fans!

I might try to make the first half, Gaz.

We know all too well the effec that losing the town team can have on a town and should do what we can to help (remember the amazing gratitude that Bury and its fans have for what we did for them a few years back)

The problem though is that the town does not seem to want to back the club, which is maybe understandable due to its lowly position. How can a club of such low standing be able to rack up debts like it did? Was it Mr Ward who launched the massive radio campaign advocating the use of its bars? those adverts aren't cheap and they ran for weeks!

All football clubs (that are the main or only 'real' club in a town) have a duty to embrace the local community and ensure that they reach way beyond matchdays. Potential sponsors aren't there just to be seen by whatever crowd turns up - they want to be seen to be associated with a major enterprise. It's not just willy waving to rival companies that they can afford the advertising board, it's about being part of something that gives back in whatever ways it can, something that encompasses the spirit of a community. Maybe lessons can be learnt all round?

A successful club doesn't necessarily win matches every week and challenge at the top. A successful club has the respect of its' constituents, it has people clamouring to be involved whether its sponsoring matches, paying through the turnstile, booking functions in the bars, entering their lotteries, sending their 'other club' supporting children onto their football courses. When all you can do is put money into a club through the turnstile then you have to more of a proper interest in the club to do that, but some people will always book the same venue for family do's (Enfield - why?). When your club is the first off the lips of local people then you can assume yourselves relativley successfull.

Darwen in reality are never gonna challenge Rovers for the loyalties of local football fans (hell, they can't even challenge Stanley for a handful of Darreners) so maybe they should appeal more to be the second club - watch us when Rovers are away, Supporters group meetings held at the Anchor, Darwen pick up for away coaches etc etc. We want to double our crowds but that means hundreds of new fans, Darwen should in rality be able to appeal to the 'tens' of new fans.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:35   #3
Senior Member+

With Stanley being off I was going to pop down, if it's still on of course. Do you want me to pick up up on the way Gaz?

I was listening the Radio Lancashire when they were in the town asking people what they thought about losing their town team. The majority of them couldn't care less and none of them ever went to watch Darwen. It made me wonder what would happen if Stanley were in the same position. Would people in the Accrington really care?

It's all very sad. Darwen were founder members of Football League Division 2 and were also FA Cup semi-finalists, albeit a very long time ago. It would be criminal if they were allowed to go under.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:37   #4
Full Member+

Re: 107 The Bee Adverts.

Darwen FC settles radio station debt (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Theres plenty more regarding Ted Ward!!
Old 06-02-2009, 22:32   #5

If the match is on gaz and if she who must be obeyed gives me any spending money then i'll be there,weather permitting.

ACCY TILL I DIE...
afrikaaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 22:49   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
It made me wonder what would happen if Stanley were in the same position. Would people in the Accrington really care?
Stanley have been in the same position and, basically, people didn't give two hoots until the unthinkable happened...then they suddenly started caring, but it was too late.
Old 06-02-2009, 23:30   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the owd saying ( its all uphill in darren) really rings true with that news, hope they survive.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:18   #8
God Member

I started reading this thread and was saddened....then magically it came to a happy conclusion....pleased to hear DARWIN FC has lived to fight again..puts current grumblings by many about STANLEY into some sort of order.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:33   #9

It looks like there will be enough people interested in re-forming the club if the winding up order goes against them on Wednesday. What has gone on there has been nothing short of fraud! I hope the police will be investigating this?
Fortunately for Darwen the Anchor Ground is owned by the council, so a new club hopefully will be able to play there.

The area doesn't need another non-league club to disappear like what happenned to Great Harwood Town.
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36   #10
Full Member+

Pitch Inspection at 11am
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50   #11
Full Member+

Pitch has been passed playable by a local referee at 11am. But is still to be decided by the match referee when he arrives. As far as Dawen FC are concerned the match is ON!
Old 07-02-2009, 11:22   #12
God Member

as it could be their last game I think they will be leaning on the referee VERY strongly
Old 07-02-2009, 11:27   #13
Full Member+

Like Eric??

But he does it the other way lol
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59   #14
Full Member+

Match on
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06   #15
Full Member+

How did it go then?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..