Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 22:47   #106
Full Member+

Re: Derby set sights on Symes :(

It strikes me that many of the recent postings in this thread seem to be unhappy at Symesy because he’s keeping his options open. Try looking at it another way ….. he came here with a bit of a chequered background, so we weren’t prepared to offer him anything more than a one-year deal. If he’d performed here as he had elsewhere, we’d have dropped him like a ton of bricks without a second thought. Instead, he’s turned out to be a gem! Shame we didn’t foresee that when we offered him that one-year deal. But we can’t blame the lad now for keeping his options open, in the hope that he might secure a lucrative contract somewhere. I know that’s what I’d be encouraging him to do if he were my son! Football clubs are the last places you’ll find sentiment when it comes to getting rid of players, so why should the players themselves do things differently? So, for what it’s worth, I say, good luck Michael – I really want you to stay ‘cos you’ve been a revelation, but if you can do a whole lot better for yourself, good luck, and thanks for some great moments this season. If not, stay with us, and become a legend like the guy whose boots you have so capably filled!!
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2010, 22:54   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
It strikes me that many of the recent postings in this thread seem to be unhappy at Symesy because he’s keeping his options open. Try looking at it another way ….. he came here with a bit of a chequered background, so we weren’t prepared to offer him anything more than a one-year deal. If he’d performed here as he had elsewhere, we’d have dropped him like a ton of bricks without a second thought. Instead, he’s turned out to be a gem! Shame we didn’t foresee that when we offered him that one-year deal. But we can’t blame the lad now for keeping his options open, in the hope that he might secure a lucrative contract somewhere. I know that’s what I’d be encouraging him to do if he were my son! Football clubs are the last places you’ll find sentiment when it comes to getting rid of players, so why should the players themselves do things differently? So, for what it’s worth, I say, good luck Michael – I really want you to stay ‘cos you’ve been a revelation, but if you can do a whole lot better for yourself, good luck, and thanks for some great moments this season. If not, stay with us, and become a legend like the guy whose boots you have so capably filled!!
know what yer saying oldgobbin, but disagree, think symes is being very naive, not signing, he could insist on clauses in new contract, plus as well as club getting a higher fee if he was under a longer contract, symes would also be in a much better position to demand higher wages fer himself from any interested club. IMHO.
Old 06-01-2010, 23:22   #108
Senior Member+

I can understand why OldG..... but football emotion & my love for ASFC cloud my opinion!!!!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03   #109
God Member

Taking off the Red Tinted Specs for a moment as OG has done

None of us know what the Club are offering Symes, I would imagine it has to be better than what he is currently on but by how much and what terms are within it?

Maybe there lies the problem

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:19   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendle Red View Post
Taking off the Red Tinted Specs for a moment as OG has done

None of us know what the Club are offering Symes, I would imagine it has to be better than what he is currently on but by how much and what terms are within it?

Maybe there lies the problem
Like i said players can ask fer clauses in contracts, if that was the case n he said, would give him a much better press.IMHO.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:37   #111

Only time will tell what he is going to do... i think he will say somethin about it all at some point

AccyAggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:11   #112
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgobbin View Post
so we weren’t prepared to offer him anything more than a one-year deal.
At the time I don't think the club were in the position financially to offer anything more than a one year deal !!! Whatever is on the table must be an improvement on what he's on now.

Admittedly, If a bigger club comes calling then it would be unfair to stand in the lad's way and you couldn't blame the lad for wanting to progress. It would be nice to think that if Symes and Grant signed extensions to their current contracts,then if and when the bigger clubs come calling, at least Stanley would be in a better position to demand a fee which would truly reflect each players value.

At this stage of the season, even with a modest amount of money to spend and of course assuming the transfer embargo is subsequently lifted......it would be very,very hard for Coleman to draft in suitable replacements which would slot neatly into the team without disrupting the sides current progress.

If clubs know that these players are out of contract in the summer then obviously they are not going to pay the full price and therefore take advantage of the situation. If we have to sell, then I only hope that the club have the foresight to insist on clauses on the potential transfers which would secure further money due....i.e. sell on clauses, fees due after so many appearances and so many goals etc, etc.

Just as a footnote... I noted on BBC teletext that Wolves were rumoured to be interested in Derby's Commons for around £2 milllion ?? If that was to be true, it's paramount we don't let anybody go on the cheap and make sure that we can get a fair and reasonable price,after all they'll be looking to get the best price available for their current best assets.

And by that i'd be looking at £250-350k for Symes and £500k for Grant with all the aforementioned clauses attached.Easily achievable if both signed the extensions to their current contracts.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:40   #113

what a great shout oldgobbin,as my friend tells me and he knows michael a bit,he sat down with coley early dec and they sorted contract out and coley went to the chairman, and he hasnt heard anything since,he was looking for an improved on contract but not a lot more than what hes on,hes one of the lowest paid at the club im told,but he loves it here,
vicburdett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:47   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
And by that i'd be looking at £250-350k for Symes and £500k for Grant with all the aforementioned clauses attached.Easily achievable if both signed the extensions to their current contracts.
T'other way round if you ask me.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 18:01   #115
Full Member+

T'other way round if you ask me.

Totally agree.
Oldgobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 19:37   #116
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Coleman tells his stars to keep their eye on the game Lancashire Telegraph - Accrington Stanley
Old 10-01-2010, 22:10   #117
Senior Member+

listened to the bbc radio derby commentry and the following phone in following the derby 1 scunthorpe 4 result and the underlying feeling amongst derby fans is firstly Nigel Clough is a non league manager(which he is) has a non league back room staff (which he has) and has bought non league players (which he has ). he is massively under fire from derby fans who believe he is only in the job because of of his name (clough ) and are demanding signings from prem clubs/proven champ clubs. i think were he to sign Simesy/Granty he would be either ignorant or arrogant of the derby fans (28,000 yesterday) or damn right foolish. personally i see derby getting trashed at home has seriously worked in our favour as i cannot see clough getting any support from anyone by signing a "lower league footballer"............we shall see

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..