Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 10:09   #1
Junior Member+

give it a rest!!!

why all the bad comments? all the time its we need a roof, we need a bar, questions on attendance. listen to yourselfs - why not say things like we did really well beating blackpool and notts forest. we have produced 2 great players who have moved on to bigger things. weve got into the league with a shoe string budget.

we should be proud as those players pull on their red shirt and step out in wind & rain to give you the best they can give. they dont question for a roof. they dont care how many watch them - they just care that as long as they give 100% then they have played for the honour of wearing a stanley shirt. how many fans would run out to the criticism banded on these threads.

at the end of the day nothing will change to the team till january - what we can change is chearing them on, showing that stanley spirit that got us from nothing to a team respected in the league.

so forget gates, sacking managers, fitting roofs, building bars or unfounded comments from so called fans - now is the time to show those boys they are men and we are all together strong enough to make stanley something to be proud of.

i hope we can all agree!!!!

watch out Stanley are on their way & this time we aim too stay!
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2006, 10:12   #2
God Member

Re: give it a rest!!!

party pooper
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44   #3
Junior Member+

oh i get so worked up - sorry for the rant but what can you do when its from the heart.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:09   #4
God Member

great post Porkchop

some times though a lot of the negative comments arise from comments in other media such as the newspaper or radio or matchday programme. Remember Eric and Coley going on about crowds? mentions of the roof, car park etc were in direct response to that. And still go on. At the end of the day (cliche again) negativety stems from the fact that it is human nature to think that ' I could do better' and we all like to think that we can put our finger on the reason why this that or the other. Newspapers rarely carry much cheer and people pay for the privilege of reading bad news. Bad news evokes more response and sometimes the messageboard needs to stir up the passions and generate response.

But it was a good post and well worded and I think you will become a more than worthy, regular contributor to this board.

Well done Stanley defenders on contributing our first two goals scored in open play for more than a month, against Shrewsbury.

Well done Andy Todd for being head and shoulders above everybody else this season.

Well done Stanley Ultras for still being loud and proud in the face of bad weather and dwindling crowds.

Well done Kipax for putting together the exhibition.

Well done Eric for steering the good ship Stanley to a football league return

Well done Coley for putting together a good side over the last few year, on sometimes limited resources, and getting the best out of them.

Well done to Gary Roberts, Ian Craney and Anthony Barry for going on to bigger and better things
Old 05-12-2006, 11:36   #5
Junior Member+

thanks for that. i agree in media, reporting is never rose tinted but any club will recieve bad publicity to a greater extent (eg larger local papers) but as supporters our job is to spread the good word of stanley. where ever i go iam proud to tell league team supporters about stanley and recommend they come and see us play. every person i meet are proud to see us back with our never say die spirit.

yes some comments can be a downer from the club but do you think they relish the thought of upset fans. if they cant give a reason for not building a roof then theres a reason. to be honest if we had a roof we would still have fans who would welcome reclining arm chairs and regular filled hot water bottles to watch the match. no ones happy all the time but if you read our message board now you would think what a miserable bunch of *****. I'm new to posting but some comments just get me going, yes we are low in the league, we are low on numbers but no mater what no one can stop the stanley spirit. at the end of the season i would prefer a ground in the league then roofs and bars playing southport!!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:10   #6
God Member

my main reason for a roof is that it would significantly improve the atmosphere. Because it sounds louder more people join in (fact) and it would sound at least twice as loud anyway. That would give us the 'hostile' atmosphere that Coley craves.

I agree with Bagpuss that if nobody says anything then the club will either think nobody is bothered or they will be unaware of problems, but I also agree with various other posters, not least of all Rob the CE, that keep going on about it is not constructive criticism and can border upon slander (such as reckoning the gate is swindled). We have all wondered where the figures come from in the past but now I will believe they are true.

Rob, I would take you up on the offer of a tour of the CCTV and gate counting machinery-bobs. Not that I dont trust you but out of awareness of what goes on behind the scenes that I no longer no anything about.

Can we arrange a tour where anybody can come, maybe a sunday afternoon or something if there are enough people?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31   #7
Junior Member+

yes a roof would give use an atmosphere and is over due. but it seems we have the same request every week. someone asks for a roof and then someone says no we dont. i'm on the roof side but its not going to happen till the end of the season. if we get a roof it means we close down one end of the ground for h&s reasons, that means we either reduce the visiting supporters allocation or the home fans. i'd prefere neither. we are low on attendences at present without knocking of another 3-500 paying fans.

as with these comments about gate attendances I agree with rob. if we where at capacity we wouldnt be able to move. in any case if the police set their numbers by number of fans and wouldnt you think they would count.

i welcome a tour of the ground, meet the players, with q&a session towards the management, followed by a spending spree in the shop. lets make it a family occasion that way those with the strong views can chill down abit.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31   #8
Senior Member+

Totally agree with you Porkchop on supporting them 110% and show them that we have faith in them every game that they will give 110%, maybe thats not good enough every game to win the match but atleast they have shown at the end of the game that they have done nothing but give 110%.

Although i dont fully agree with you about players not questioning about roofs etc, i dont think having a roof will effect the players all that much apart from atmosphere because they arnt going to be stood on the clayton end when its p*ssing down are they?? they dont pay to come do they?? many people expect to have things like roofs in this league for their £13, I'm personally not bothered at all whether we have a roof like many other fans but its people that aint "diehard" stanley fans that do, and these are the people we want to get up to stanley games isnt it?

We was averaging just over 3000 last season and the away followings were nowhere near as good as this league so where have the 1300 stanley fans gone???

Not having a go but just how i see it

Keep The Faith
Old 05-12-2006, 13:06   #9
Junior Member+

respect baldy, perhaps your right with fans needing a roof but i still think theres a time for this. ive been stood in the clayton end in the freezing cold and still cheered them on but what i think the real problem is the fans who relished an underdog, they came to watch history be it in the FA CUP or promotion from to the league, the dreams changed - we onced dreamed of getting in to the league, now we dream of staying up. the dreams changed and so its now up to the board to reinvent the dream. we made it to the league now its hard work of keeping the club secure.

heres some questions:
if we started on the roof would you welcome sitting in the main stand with a reduced accy attendance for the rest of this season while the clayton end roof gets built.

would having a roof make people more likely to attend when they may already support burnley/blackburn/manu?

would you welcome having a roof built this summer in the knowledge we are still financially sound?

if having a roof and bar is the basis for a good atmosphere then look no further than the main stand, theres a roof and bar their.

at the end of the day when those men run out i cheer them no matter where i stand. i'll smile when we win and may shed a tear when we loose. but no matter what i'll respect the decision of the club - unless theres no logical reason :-)
Old 05-12-2006, 13:10   #10
God Member

Quote:
Well done to Gary Roberts, Ian Craney and Anthony Barry for going on to bigger and better things
No I am not having that one... they left us for more money and we have dropped down the table... they sold us out when we needed them.. I absoloutly 100% know why and I absoloutly 100% would ahve done the same thing myself in there shoes.... But I aint slapping them on the back for leaving us...
Old 05-12-2006, 13:15   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
if we started on the roof would you welcome sitting in the main stand with a reduced accy attendance for the rest of this season while the clayton end roof gets built.
There would NOT be a reduced attendance .. if we shut the clayton end two years ago we would ahve still got every single crowd in... so mute question

Quote:
would having a roof make people more likely to attend when they may already support burnley/blackburn/manu?
No.. would it make them eat brussels sprouts when they dont like them? what a daft question.. the roof is to A) stop poeple looking out there window sat morning and deciding not to come and B) increase the atmosphere and C) better facilities... all of which are valid reasons for a roof.

Quote:
would you welcome having a roof built this summer in the knowledge we are still financially sound?
Eeeerm what?

Quote:
if having a roof and bar is the basis for a good atmosphere then look no further than the main stand, theres a roof and bar their.
Thats what I have been telling everyone that says no roof... but they still say theres no roof
Old 05-12-2006, 13:38   #12
Senior Member+

No way am i saying that we should just splash out money that we dont have, but i know a few burnley fans that stopped coming this season because we dont have a roof, im not saying build a roof and we will have to be turning thousands of people away becuase the ground us full,

The bar, some people are put off goin into the sports bar on match day because its jam packed and takes a while to get served, (not been in for a while) so if we build some sort of bar on clayton end and maybe away fans its gonna boost revenue... £2.50 a pint and with Rochdale Bury Macc etc bringing 1000+ fans they buy a pint before the game and a pint at half time, its money that we havent/wont have but its fact that it will pay itself in the longer term so we have the extra money for players etc but only IF we have the cash to do so!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 13:57   #13

Mr Kip,

That hand of yours should pat Craney, Barry and Roberts on the back cos we wouldn't be in the league today if it wernt for them. O.k. so it was a team effort last season but you have to stand back an look at their contributions. How many have we won since Gary left?

Ok so they left us at a bad time but they can't help timing when bigger clubs make their bids and don't forget Eirc/Coley accepted them! In case of Barry they messed him around for a number of months rather than give him a contract and they also agreed to the clause in Craney's contract so not all down to the players. They served us well while they were here so wish them luck now they are gone. Also you're doing a sponsorship item for their shirts arnt you so the fact that people are still willing to put money the clubs way for their shirts evene thought their gone should tell you something.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 14:04   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Mr Kip,

That hand of yours should pat Craney, Barry and Roberts on the back cos we wouldn't be in the league today if it wernt for them. .

It would be nice if you went back and re read my post mate.. I said I wont pat them on the back for leaving... I will and have for one of them since shook there hands and wished them well.. as indeed I did for Rory... In fact i see a heck of a lot of players that used to play for us on my travels around the none league...and all greet me with a handshake and I ask and wish them well... I also said I would ahve done the same thing myself

I said I wouldn't pat them on the back for leaving us...

please try and read my posts properly before pressing that pretty little reply button
Old 05-12-2006, 14:09   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
No I am not having that one... they left us for more money and we have dropped down the table... they sold us out when we needed them.. I absoloutly 100% know why and I absoloutly 100% would ahve done the same thing myself in there shoes.... But I aint slapping them on the back for leaving us...
it aint selling out, it is furthering their careers. That is why they get into the game - to reach the top. It is also part of 'the sell' of coming to this club "we get watched by as many if not more scouts than other clubs our size, this is a shop window son" It is probably also part of Coleys' team talks telling them to go out there and win themselves a bigger contract at a bigger club. The more players we sell to bigger clubs the better that sell becomes. So well done to them for playing well enough for us to earn themselves a move

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..