Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-07-2007, 02:15   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Green Street Hooligans?

Okay gang, learn me something here. Have you guys seen this film? Does Accrington Stanley have a "Firm?"

While watching the movie (yes, had to explain to Cindy that the chavs use that language) could just picture Harwood Red and others marching around the stadiums calling out your opponents.

How accurate is the movie? Is it more violent footballers down London way? I actually really enjoy the Englishness of the pub scenes, street scenes, and all.

So, how many of the older blokes over there used to bang heads over a football game? Cashy? When does Stanley's season start up again? I just gotta get over for some of these games eh?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-07-2007, 07:26   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Green Street Hooligans?

Sorry to disappoint you, Brian, but if it's hooliganism you want, you won't find it at Stanley. As someone once said, the Clayton End is full of "noisy beer monsters", but definitely no hardcore violence. First home match is 15th August and the last one is May 3rd, so you must try and get over between those dates. Believe me, you'll love it!
Old 24-07-2007, 09:27   #3
Resting in Peace

Brian "fishy" site has fixtures on it click on it here

Accrington Stanley
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 09:59   #4
God Member

I watched Green street last yr... Wierdly about a week after walking down it.. its down the side of West Hams ground and I was there to photograph a game

This is the real pub on the corner
Old 24-07-2007, 10:15   #5
Senior Member+

Aren't these films about 10 years out of date?

Britain has really led the way in combating football hooliganism, especially on the scale shown in films such as Green Street and The Football Factory. Other countries are trying to replicate the same success at their grounds.

Admitably, there are still 'firms' associated with clubs, but many of these are mere shadows of what they once were.
Old 24-07-2007, 10:23   #6
God Member

Hooligans have been moved out of football grounds, CCTV has played the biggest part in that.. But it still happens in towns and cities around the country and even more abroad where they can get away with a lot more.

The film showed a lot of older types in the "gangs" and this is true.. it's not just or even mostly teenagers.. its hooligans from the hooligan days who can't let go.. Perhaps when they have all died out then we will be rid of it. But it certainly still does happen..
Old 24-07-2007, 10:38   #7
Senior Member+

I agree with you Kipax, but I meant in England, not abroad. I've been watching The Real Football Factories on Bravo, which is presented by actor Danny Dyer. The ones he's done in other countries shows how different their hooliganism is compared to England today.

The programmes he's made in this country have focussed on 'firms' who were big 10 or more years ago. There seem to be clashes occasionally, but most of these are prearranged affairs and well away from the football grounds.

The people he's spoken to were active in the scene years ago, but today have moved out of it. The government, police, etc, have done a lot to tackle the problem and it has had an impact. Life-time banning orders, stiff sentencing, identification of known hooligans, etc, are techniques being used in some other countries too, and England led the way in that.

Football grounds are safer now than they have been for decades, although I do feel that these films try to keep alive the 70s/80s image for their own ends. Many foreigners will watch these films and assume that it portrays a typical Saturday afternoon at most football grounds, which is clearly not true.
Old 24-07-2007, 10:55   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I agree with you Kipax, but I meant in England, not abroad. I've been watching The Real Football Factories on Bravo, which is presented by actor Danny Dyer.
He is so over the top cheesy.. I could happily watch him get one right between the eyes... gotta be the most annoying bloke on telly.. if he says one more time how worried and scared he is....aaargh.

Quote:
The ones he's done in other countries shows how different their hooliganism is compared to England today.
Yeagh I meant the england hooligans when they go abroad go back to there old ways.. cus they can get away wiht more.. national team or they even go following other teams just so they can go..

Quote:
Football grounds are safer now than they have been for decades,
Absoloutly.. I have been on games in the early 70s with one copper on duty and a thousand skinheads running accross the pitch to get to the fans at the other side.. I have seen it all... at its peak it was so out of control.... If only I had a camera in them days

I still think the one weapon against the hooligans is CCTV.. Yes the others you have mentioned but mostly that... Knowing you will get arrested.if not on the day then maybe a week or a month later. you will always get arrested if you do wrong on the ground... thats sunk in and moved them out..

Quote:
70s/80s image for their own ends. Many foreigners will watch these films and assume that it portrays a typical Saturday afternoon at most football grounds, which is clearly not true.
Yeagh... we led the way in summat eh ....tsk... the english disease as its known.. lets see a local lancashire firm walk down the main rd towards a match in argentina and see how hard they are
Old 24-07-2007, 10:59   #9
God Member

To add... this is why I supprt the ultras movement in the UK.. theres more and more ultras groups starting each season.. its the opposite of football hooligans if people can just get past the name ultras... Firms don't wear football colours.. they try not to look like football fans for many reasons.. even in the early days they soon learnt not to wear a scarf or team shirt....

Ultras go beyond wearing colours.. they go over the top with colours and making sure everyone knows exactly who they are supporting... not the sign of a hooly thats for sure..The whole idea is to out sing and out display the other teams fans.. thats the aim of the ultras.... not to out fight them
Old 24-07-2007, 11:00   #10
God Member

But saying all of this and that a lot of the hooligan element has gone from english football, it has just moved further away from the grounds, a few times a season i get emails inviting the minibus to some of the well known Hooly pubs when we are on our travels most which are situated out of the town itself,
Old 24-07-2007, 11:00   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX View Post
He is so over the top cheesy.. I could happily watch him get one right between the eyes... gotta be the most annoying bloke on telly.. if he says one more time how worried and scared he is....aaargh.
He's a 'proper naughty geezer'.
Old 24-07-2007, 16:31   #12

Quote:
Football grounds are safer now than they have been for decades, although I do feel that these films try to keep alive the 70s/80s image for their own ends. Many foreigners will watch these films and assume that it portrays a typical Saturday afternoon at most football grounds, which is clearly not true.
Thanks to all for the information. It's very enlightening. I will try to get over to a match in the fall. Now, are chavs and football hooligans a separate lot?

Over here, most American sports fans are like the ultras. Team colors, songs, and flags. However, nothing even close to the intensity of your football.

The closest thing I've seen are the New York Yankee/Boston Redsox rivalry in baseball and maybe the Washington Redskins/Dallas Cowboy rivalry in American football. Then again wicked rivalries in College and High School sports.

Thanks again.

Brian

Old 24-07-2007, 16:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T View Post
Brian "fishy" site has fixtures on it click on it here

Accrington Stanley
Thanks for the calendar Ber999T. When I first saw a PM about "ASFC fixtures," I thought you had sent me a PM meant for someone else. Something about a certain store that sold light fixtures in the Accy area! I am slowly learning about this football culture. Happy to say, with Mez' help, I did buy an Accrington Stanley football shirt while over there!

Brian

Old 24-07-2007, 20:55   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Okay gang, learn me something here. Have you guys seen this film? Does Accrington Stanley have a "Firm?"

While watching the movie (yes, had to explain to Cindy that the chavs use that language) could just picture Harwood Red and others marching around the stadiums calling out your opponents.

Brian
Hmm what you trying to say Brian?? that I am a hooligan or a chav..or something else???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 22:27   #15
God Member

While both "Green Street" and "The Football Factory" are both abit far fetched.. I would recommend you try to see The Football Factory LYY.. i'ts a quite entertaining film and although more violent it's possibly closer to the real thing than Green Street.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..