Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 17:00   #16
Senior Member+

Re: has any1 enjoyed this season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
oh and 2 words

ANDY BISHOP
In the 4- 2 win at York Stanley fans were telling York where they could stick their Andy Bishop. Same place as their kit kats I recall.

He's certainly proved a point since we returned to the League.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-05-2008, 18:46   #17

agree with you tinape
depechemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 20:25   #18
Senior Member+

In answer to your original question no but then I have been Yorkshire based for a number of years and have supported Sheffield Wednesday as well for 32 seasons. So I have had a season of misery on two fronts. I only enjoyed the last 5 minutes of it when they were 4-1 up against Norwich in today's must win game.

Still it could be worse. I could be a Leicester based Wrexham exile.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:54   #19
Senior Member+

the style of fottball, the ian craney as a striker, the pick ian craney every game even if he isnt fit, the trust in ian dunbavin while kenny was injured, the excuses for defenders, the lack of attacking play, the tacticall cluelessness of 'we will play our game' we only have to worry about ourselves, the high line defending against teams with pace, the awful rehashed excuses from coley, driving home from peterborough soaked on a cold week night, john miles effort,

now add the following
'roscoe d'sane, the awesome performance away at bradford, going to hereford and keeping a clean sheet, the 1st game of the season away at wycombe in the sun and believing we are not just in the leaue to take part, kenny authur, roscoes 2nd goal at home to macclesfield, the roof, the ultras, beer at half time, morecambe till rolls, paul mullins effort

overall - i got to be honest, the 1st season mainly down to our type of fottball of trying to outscore the other team was far more exciting.

since new year - our style, performances and players attitudes have been woeful.

coleman, despite still being the man for the job has showed his limitations in terms of tactics and scouting opposition.

dont blame it on the coley, dont blame it on the whalley, dont blame it on the evil blame it on the miles.
worst signing of the year, so bad he beat graham branch.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 16:44   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I do agree that we have missed a Dsane type striker and it's had an impact on our season. Someone to play off Mullin and with a bit of pace is essential for next season. The thing is, every manager in the country is looking for the same thing and Stanley aren't really in a position to compete.
Whalley fits this description more than craney surely.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:04   #21
Full Member+

None of them do. Craney was surely bought as a midfielder and its his best position. Whalley has been given more chances than anyone to make an impact this season and it just hasn't happened. However, he seems to be a favourite of the management team so he'll probably still be here next season but for me, he just doesn't cut it. His control is poor, he's easily brushed off the ball and he soon gets disheartened. D'sane was small but knew how to use his bodyweight to hold challenges off, Whalley can't do it so I don't see him as a out and out striker and his shot to the corner flag against Daggers said it all. An Andy Bishop type of player would be a superb foil for Mullers......but where do you find him?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:27   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
An Andy Bishop type of player would be a superb foil for Mullers......but where do you find him?
And how do you afford him? We had hoped to sign him from York, but we were never really able to compete with other clubs.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:49   #23
Senior Member+

unless we get invesment or something were never really going to afford to buy players like bishop or the wages they will want! will have to look in the lower leagues like we did when we found gary roberts. craney is better played in midfield and when he is on his game he is a match winner

The Harder The Conflict, The More Glorious The Triumph

Last edited by MCR ADIM; 06-05-2008 at 12:50. Reason: spelling
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 13:07   #24

Have to say I left on Saturday afternoon wondering how we have possibly managed to stay in the league. Absolutely woeful performance against a team that were nothing special.

Amidst all the comments about Coley's great record, 9 seasons of improvement, bla bla bla I don't really see how looking at the past is going to help us in the future. Yes Coley has a great record but he has reached his level. The performances week in week out show that he doesn't have any idea about how to deal with league set ups. Its true that any manager is going to struggle on the wages we pay but we need someone with new ideas and I don't think the time to make a change is when we're already in the mire. We're looking a bit more established now so we should be in a position to attract someone.
Forever Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 13:49   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Red View Post
Have to say I left on Saturday afternoon wondering how we have possibly managed to stay in the league. Absolutely woeful performance against a team that were nothing special.

Amidst all the comments about Coley's great record, 9 seasons of improvement, bla bla bla I don't really see how looking at the past is going to help us in the future. Yes Coley has a great record but he has reached his level. The performances week in week out show that he doesn't have any idea about how to deal with league set ups. Its true that any manager is going to struggle on the wages we pay but we need someone with new ideas and I don't think the time to make a change is when we're already in the mire. We're looking a bit more established now so we should be in a position to attract someone.
agree with yer sentiments, but the bottom line is- Ya Pay Peanuts, Ya Get MONKEYS. simple as that.
Old 06-05-2008, 15:02   #26
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
And how do you afford him? (Andy Bishop) We had hoped to sign him from York, but we were never really able to compete with other clubs.

I wasn't say we could afford to buy AB. I was alluding to the type of player that I would prefer to see alongside Mullers next season as someone had previously mentioned Whalley as a striker. If JC is going to unearth a 'gem' this summer (don't we all wish!) then a AB type would be preferred.
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:40   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post

I wasn't say we could afford to buy AB. I was alluding to the type of player that I would prefer to see alongside Mullers next season as someone had previously mentioned Whalley as a striker. If JC is going to unearth a 'gem' this summer (don't we all wish!) then a AB type would be preferred.
Yeah, I know what you was saying. Sorry if it sounded like I didn't. I simply meant that the days of picking up bargains from the Conference are virtually over. Just look how much McClean and others have gone for. In addition to that, everyone is looking at the Conference now and any decent players will have lots of offers from clubs higher and richer than us (e.g. Michael Kightly).

Accrington are in a poor position over all, and that isn't a criticism of the club, but a reality.
Old 06-05-2008, 18:21   #28
Senior Member+

plenty of young lads who have potential in the conference north who would love a year stint at stanley with the chance to prove themselves.

most porbably wouldnt make it, but at least we would have players who wanted to prove something and play hard.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:42   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
plenty of young lads who have potential in the conference north who would love a year stint at stanley with the chance to prove themselves.

most porbably wouldnt make it, but at least we would have players who wanted to prove something and play hard.
Shaun Whalley?
Old 06-05-2008, 19:41   #30
God Member

touche TM!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..