Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-09-2010, 18:13   #1
Dan
Senior Member+

Help - information needed!

Hi folks
Two things that I'm hoping somebody can help with.

Firstly, a statistician from Sky has been in touch with me about the Centenary game played against Blackburn in March 1995. He's after line-ups, scorers etc.

From various sources (including both Phil Whalley's books) I've got the following for the Stanley line up:
Rob Mulloy, Chris Grimshaw, Les Thompson, Darren Quick, ?? Sanders, ?? Clarkson, ?? Rushby, Lee Rogerson, ?? McNally, ?? Welch, ?? Robinson, Ashley Hoskin, Rob Holcroft, Paul Beck, ?? Bursnell, ?? Reywood

Can anybody fill in the blanks?

Also, does anybody have the Rovers team and the scorers? I know Stanley lost 2-0.

Onto the second thing. And this is REALLY obscure!

One of the curators at Manchester United's museum has also been in touch. He's been sent a team picture from around 1930 which he's established isn't Manchester United, but could be Stanley.

I'm poring my way through the complete record book to try to identify a player, but I've attached the pictures in case anyone recognises something or even has the same picture.

It may turn out to not be Stanley at all, but I'm sure the owner of the picture would like to know either way.

Anybody who has any info on either subject, please post on here or email me: [email protected]

Thanks
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old photo.jpg (359.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg old photo2.jpg (354.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg old photo3.jpg (353.7 KB, 21 views)

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore

Last edited by Dan; 20-09-2010 at 18:14. Reason: For a journalist, I'm pretty illiterate!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-09-2010, 18:31   #2
God Member

Re: Help - information needed!

Dan, I have a copy of the centenary game on video, you're welcome to borrow it to fill in any blanks you need to - can't help with the second one I'm afraid, despite rumours to the contracry that's a little before my time
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 18:43   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Hi folks
Two things that I'm hoping somebody can help with.

Firstly, a statistician from Sky has been in touch with me about the Centenary game played against Blackburn in March 1995. He's after line-ups, scorers etc.

From various sources (including both Phil Whalley's books) I've got the following for the Stanley line up:
Rob Mulloy, Chris Grimshaw, Les Thompson, Darren Quick,GRAHAM Sanders, ANDY Clarkson, PAUL (i think) Rushby, Lee Rogerson, JOHN McNally (and he wozzagod), BRIAN Welch, DAVID Robinson, Ashley Hoskin, Rob Holcroft, Paul Beck, SHAUN Bursnell, MATT Reywood

Can anybody fill in the blanks?

Also, does anybody have the Rovers team and the scorers? I know Stanley lost 2-0.

Really couldn't hazard a guess at the Rovers team, especially as they made many substitutions. I remember that a relatively unknown Shay Given played the first half and made a couple of belting saves and that Tim Flowers played the 2nd half. Tim Sherwood, Jason Wilcox, Stuart Ripley all played at least some part in the game. The most notable memory of this game was that Stanley had tried to 'sign' Gary Lineker for this match only - but he was refused permission from Grampus 8 (his Japanese club at the time) as he was still recovering from a dodgy toe.
Old 20-09-2010, 19:01   #4
God Member

i'm not sure about the pictures though Dan. From 27-28 to 33-34 we did play in lace up red tops and we did have those MU style socks. I have team pictures for 26-27, 27-28, 30-31, 32-33, 33-34, 35-36 and onwards so am missing a couple. However, none of those faces match up with any that I have on my team pictures.

If it is a Stanley one I'd wager it being 29-30 as that is the biggest shift of players from season to season for the faces not to match up. I hope that helps. Also the (presumably) red and white stripey boards in the background re-appear on a picture from the 35-36 season

BTW if anyone has images from team pictures over the years I'd a scan of some of my missing years for my 'project'
Old 20-09-2010, 19:18   #5
Dan
Senior Member+

Macca, thanks for the Centenary info - Mr. statistician is very pleased indeed!

On the picture, I can't match any players up to the pictures I/the club have got, but the stripey backdrop is also on a 32/33 picture in the complete record book.

It could be complete coincidence or many grounds could have had that style of frontage on their stands... It may remain a mystery!

The guy who sent the original email to Man United said that it had "1928" scribbled on the back in pencil.

The Dutch look like a huge jar of marmalade.”
- Barry Davies

“After a goalless first half, the score at half time is 0-0.”
- Brian Moore
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 19:52   #6

Hi dan

I've emailed you a copy of the match report from the next programme which was against Barrow on 29/3/95. It has the teams and the subs and the scorers. I can't upload it as it's too big.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..